• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 player, looking to become more competitive. Tips?

TheSeanMan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seanybobo2
3DS FC
2492-5096-7585
OK so I am a Smash 64 player looking to become more competitive. I'm new to the smash competitive community, but not the games. I'm trying to main Ness.

Tips?

Annex

Smash Ace
hey buddy :195:

read this business and practice all the general techniques until it comes naturally in a match
then start playing online and realize ness sucks and spamming grabs doesn't work on good players
then start playing real smash with either people around you or by checking for local tournaments

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Welcome! First read the Index, it will have loads of information on the basic techs and movement options that are used in this game competitively, It will also have links if you want to play online, a good option for playing people that are already seasoned at the game and will probably accelerate your idea of what can be done in the game, albeit by getting rekt most likely, but don't let that discourage you.

Anyways basically you're going to want to learn to z-cancel, short hop, and pivot. those are the basic techs, pretty much need these no matter what characters you're using (though since you're planning on maining ness up air aka uair and down air aka dair do not need to be z canceled.

Since you're maining ness he has a character specific tech called DJC which he shares with Yoshi, but their DJC's are different. You should watch videos of people who are good with ness and see how they use their first and second jump to move. I'd recommend watching people like Firo, Peek, Frogles, Nangoku at apex, and I don't really know who else lol.

Also just some advice, Don't get grabbed, Ness isn't really good off stage, so really make an effort if you start playing online to not get grabbed as ness.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i think we have a drastic drought of ness mains and we need more. stick to ya guns, homie.

listen to what annex said.

D

Deleted member

forget about competition and the 'scene,' or lack there of. when you realize they mean absolutely nothing, it is very freeing. just have fun. :)

Top Bottom