• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Battle Damage

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think the unused concept of battle damage in brawl should make an appearance in this installment? I think its a pretty cool concept that should be used. Imagine Link's tunic scratched and teared, or wolf and captain falcon's visor cracked and broken. I think details as small as this would make the game much more interesting and that they are completely necessary. Tell me what you guys think :)

This is a link to a wiki page, providing further interesting details about this unused mechanic...
http://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl/Unused_Graphics

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Do you guys think the unused concept of battle damage in brawl should make an appearance in this installment? I think its a pretty cool concept that should be used. Imagine Link's tunic scratched and teared, or wolf and captain falcon's visor cracked and broken. I think details as small as this would make the game much more interesting and that they are completely necessary. Tell me what you guys think :)
I don't see anything wrong with it. Sounds interesting, as long as no bloods involved of course.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
This^

I think things like Marth's cape ripping, Samus' visor blinking, Zelda's dress ripping (TASTEFULLY, like the hem or something) could be cool to look at, and make for better pictures in some scenarios, if we can still so screenshots

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
As long as it can be disabled. Wouldn't want little children exposed to the high amounts of graphical violence and hyper-realistic blood.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Is this in any other fighting game? I like the idea, as long as it isn't too distracting.

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
Yes, no blood, thats overkill and does not sound like something Sakurai would do in a game like Smashbros. Pit's rings could crack and fall off and his crown could break loosely in his hair. Imagine fox and his fur looking rough and you can see his mechanical legs through his torn pants. That would be really awesome

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who still thinks of smash characters as toys come to life like you can see in the intro to smash 64? Guess I am, well because of that I wouldn't really want this sort of realistic battle damage because it kinda goes against my vision of the smash universe but whatever

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I would love this. I feel like it could create some very dramatic screenshots.But I would still like for it to be able to be turned off.

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
Is this in any other fighting game? I like the idea, as long as it isn't too distracting.
It appears in Mortal Kombat 9 and it looks pretty cool. However, that's not to say the SSB franchise should exhibit realistic character models for battle damage. Just simple tears and scratches or chipped equipment on the character.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Fighting Vipers features an armour-breaking mechanic. However as of my understanding, the Smash "battle damage" is purely cosmetic whereas in Fighting Vipers, characters without armour took more damage.
So yeah... That's something.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Fighting Vipers features an armour-breaking mechanic. However as of my understanding, the Smash "battle damage" is purely cosmetic whereas in Fighting Vipers, characters without armour took more damage.
I think Soul Calibur did something similar to this, but I could be wrong about that. Orginally Street Fighter II was going to incorporate a mechanism that calculated damaged based off of which area of the human anatomy you hit. Not exactly relevant but interesting

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Battle damage exist in Smash, if your character is over 100%, edge recovery is altered.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Yeah. I wanna see Donkey Kongs arms get chopped off at around 60% damage

I suppose, but OCD players would hate it if they lucked into the perfect screenshot, but it's tarnished by Falcon's awkwardly cracked visor, or something like that.

I think that's why it was dropped from Brawl, since they were reinvigorating camera mode in that game. A lot of the battle damage might have been difficult to notice at the standard gameplay zoom level, too.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Battle damage exist in Smash, if your character is over 100%, edge recovery is altered.
That's been removed for Smash 4 however. Now ledge attacks are the same for all characters.

Anyways. That would be cool for the most part. However, how would female characters be done? That's a slippery slope any which way you look at it.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
That's been removed for Smash 4 however. Now ledge attacks are the same for all characters.

Anyways. That would be cool for the most part. However, how would female characters be done? That's a slippery slope any which way you look at it.
Source?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Oi vey. People not keeping up with PoTDs I see.

1/22
Pic of the day. There are many changes being made to attack and defense options for grabbing edges. In this picture, Link is actually trumping Mario's grab.

• Some other changes include:
    -Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge.
    -Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage.
Said by the man himself.

http://smashboards.com/threads/miiverse-daily-pic-thread-2nd-edition-updated-4-28.348234/

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Oi vey. People not keeping up with PoTDs I see.

1/22
Pic of the day. There are many changes being made to attack and defense options for grabbing edges. In this picture, Link is actually trumping Mario's grab.

• Some other changes include:
    -Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge.
    -Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage.
Said by the man himself.

http://smashboards.com/threads/miiverse-daily-pic-thread-2nd-edition-updated-4-28.348234/
Ahhhhhhhhh okay. Just slipped my mind. That's pretty good then. I never saw that huge of a difference between the two anyways. Didn't seem any stronger

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I was just thinking about how much I want this.

If you think about it, it's inclusion is not unlikely. The mechanics of Smash 4 will be finished by the time the 3DS version comes out. That means there's a four month period where the developers are only working on stages and aesthetic things. It seems like they'd have plenty of time to add a detail like that in that period.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
-Fastposted-

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Would be cool to see, but it might be a bit much.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
It would be cool if you got cuts from Sword users and bruises from punches and kicks.

Pokerhappy

Smash Cadet
An issue I see is with characters such as Bowser, Charizard, GDubbs if he comes back, Yoshi, Kirby. Maybe some others. Basically, characters that don't have fur, clothes, or accessories to be damaged. I can't see them getting into cuts or bruising, that could be off-putting.

Maybe some characters just wouldn't get battle damage. Instant top tiers.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
It'd be cool to see Meta Knight's mask crack as he gets battle damage, and after a certain point, his mask just falls off. Extremely irritated, he would then become the OP Brawl Meta Knight we all know and love.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Am I the only one who still thinks of smash characters as toys come to life like you can see in the intro to smash 64? Guess I am, well because of that I wouldn't really want this sort of realistic battle damage because it kinda goes against my vision of the smash universe but whatever
You're one half, the other half of people actually like to think that these are our actual favorite characters and not representations of them, at least I feel the characters closer that way, I'm not playing with a Mario toy, I'm playing with the same Mario that has saved the world, the land and the galaxy.
An issue I see is with characters such as Bowser, Charizard, GDubbs if he comes back, Yoshi, Kirby. Maybe some others. Basically, characters that don't have fur, clothes, or accessories to be damaged. I can't see them getting into cuts or bruising, that could be off-putting.

Maybe some characters just wouldn't get battle damage. Instant top tiers.
Very simple, they'd be like Little Mac for example, some band-aids and anime-ish bruises.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Meh, I'd be cool, but I never thought of it as a MUST HAVE feature. Plus, I'd hate to be playing as my favorite character, get that PERFECT spike, pause, get the picture, and the character looks all roughed up.

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
Same, ever since the first I've always thought of them as toys comes to life, and Master and Crazy Hands as the hands of the child, and as such dislike this idea.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It wouldn't be a bad idea. Having the option to turn it on or off is a must if this happens, anyway.

And of course, I don't think it should be too graphic. Just a few cracks on helmets or damaged clothing.

Considering this is Smash Bros., I don't think it would be a good idea to have blood or such, but I wouldn't mind if it had.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I could've sworn I saw a thread like this before. whatever, I support this all the way for characters like MK.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
For the more toony characters like Kirby and Pikachu. They could appear dirtied instead of cut. They could have grey spots of dirt or whatnot. After all fights often get you dirty so it's believable.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm totally against visual damage being done to the characters, beyond the cartoony effects we've seen so far.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Battle Damage clashes with the more cartoonly feel of Smash 4.

Tired animations are the way to go.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
Battle Damage clashes with the more cartoonly feel of Smash 4.

Tired animations are the way to go.
Now THAT's an idea I can get behind. Tired idle animations that have no significant effect on combat.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I don't know... I feel like it contradicts the cartooney feel of Super Smash Bros Wii U.

Maybe it would work only for some characters where it makes sense, like Little Mac getting bruises and bandages. That one would feel right because it actually happens in Punch-out. Someone like Mario, on the other hand - I just can't see battle damage working on him.

Top Bottom