• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 2v2 at apex should have OC consoles available

firo

Smash Ace
2v2 64 is an official event, and let's demonstrate that we are dedicated to it by having enough overclocked consoles so that whoever wants to play on one can. I played teams on one recently and the difference it makes is huge - being forced to play on a regular console would be a big disappointment.

I'm going to be bringing an OC console myself, so all the teams matches I will play will use it. However I know there are plenty of teams players who will be wanting to play on one, and we should make that happen. I figure if we have a minimum of 4 overclocked consoles that we use for the teams tournament, that would reasonably allow most people to use one.

I know that there will be at least one other overclocked console at the tournament (I LOVE SMASH has his), and the plan is for @ jimmyjoe jimmyjoe and I to overclock at least one more console before apex. I don't know how many other OCs remain in the wild but this is my call for anyone who has access to an overclocked console - or in any way has the capacity to create one - to bring it and help out the rest of the players.

Last edited:

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
What's it used for? Will that eliminate those lag spikes the game sometimes gets?
Yes, to an extent. It will alleviate a lot of the lag when too many things are happening on screen.

I have three consoles and if it goes well @ firo firo and I will be able to OC one at very least. Anyone in the area is welcome to join us at my place for an OVERCLOCKING PARTY! date TBD. I get back from Mexico in a week, so shortly after that would be best.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
All major games for doubles (winner's finals of pools if pools are happening) and related should be on Overclocked if possible.

Excellent idea to get a whole lot of them already.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I just want to make you all aware of a few things. Apex has partnered with Nintendo of America for Apex 2015. An implication of this is that hacks and mods are not allowed. Additionally, all equipment is being provided by our partners this year. This means that nobody has to bring TVs or setups, although you should still bring them for the BYOC rooms (separate from the main venue).

Despite hacks/mods not being allowed, OC Consoles are OK because they are not visual modification to the game. i.e. the viewer would have no idea that it's been modded (unless they are a 64 player and notice less lag, but shhhh). In fact, OC 64 consoles are the ONLY consoles that people playing ANY game are allowed to bring into the main rooms. Gamesharks are not allowed either.

Controller adapters are fine.

banze

Smash Journeyman
We will arrive wendnesday night at the hotel.
And I will bring my console, so there is a window of two days to get it done if somebody want to help us!

hoping for a big smashfest by the way =D

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I just want to make you all aware of a few things. Apex has partnered with Nintendo of America for Apex 2015. An implication of this is that hacks and mods are not allowed.
Does that really change anything? No mods (other than OCing) were used in the past, right?

firo

Smash Ace
pray to RNGesus to get a console to OC, coinflip status
The mod can be simplified from the ones you have made - the one I have was made by a friend and does not have a fan. The console doesn't get too hot. It also only has one switch, just to control the OC between 1.5 (normal) and 2.0 (OC). It makes the process significantly more doable. If someone only plays smash and doesn't care about other games, permanently OCing it is even easier.

Not having the ability to do timed stock matches is also pretty disappointing, its definitely a step backwards. I assume this also means that if people have N64 flash carts, which I was thinking about purchasing, they cannot bring them in either. But not having to bring setups is a plus, assuming that ssb64 has a solid amount of setups.

Last edited:
Top Bottom