• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Small tournament help.Seed huh? Bracket who?

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Hi all I currently have 5 smashers that come to my weeklies.Sometimes we pick up a few more that come and join us.We ussually just play teams or singles to have fun.Yesterday we did a mock pick up tourny and to my surprise everyone loved it.Also everyone was playing there best.

I would like to know if anyone can give some advice on what we should use as far as brackets and seeding for five people.We dont have much experiance at all in setting this kind of thing up but we have over 16 people that play smash in our area that we know of.I would like this trend to grow.

We are aware of the current MLG ruleset,terms and such.As some of us have attended a few tounaments.We will be using this.But how do we set up the seeding and brackets for 5 people to start.Should we use Round Robin ect.? Thank you for any help

EDIT- Id like to say that we all agreed on Round Robin because of the amount of players and the amount of matches we get compared to any other system. =) Thank you for all the replies.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
For such a small tournout, you'd probably be best off with a round robin. Maximize who plays who, and of course everyone gets to play some intense smash.

pdk

Smash Lord
if you have 5 people then there's really no point in doing anything other than a round robin, and if you want an explanation of how seeding works then i recall wikipedia having a good one (search for tournaments)

Edg

Smash Cadet
Yeah, round robin is great with only a few people. Have each person play each other person 1 time(or best of 3 for longer) then have the top 2 records play a best of 5 playoffs. Make up your own rules if you disagree with MLG rules or they dont work because its just a home game. Also start with ordering pizzas or something for first one.. then start getting people to pitch in for pizzas every time. After that if it gets serious/good you can try for entry fees + prizes.

1o11oo1o11

Smash Apprentice
Hey GOTH I just moved to California from Florida. Where in FL are you from?

So far everybody here say's you should do round robin and I have no different opinion from them. So just go for it.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
I found this great program called Tournament Maker 2.1 using the search function on the smash boards.This program supports SSBM double elimination,single elimination,seeding ect.
As for a tournament with few people you are correct Round Robin is the best way to go.

The only disanvantage to Round Robin is that players who know they already lost the competition may not play as good.Still the best option though.But I spent the last few hours understanding seeding and the program and we can use "byes" that automaticly lose for those that are seeded the highest also.The program does this also which makes it convienient.

Thank you for all the replies and 1011001011 I live in Sanford Florida if your interested send me a pm. We have lots of space and fun.

EDIT - Id like to say that we all agreed on Round Robin because of the sheer amount of matches we get compared to any other system. =)

Top Bottom