• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slippery Approaches

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
In the beginning, there were two Sonic approaches: dash attack and dash grab. Both were awful.

Then, we started discovering a few new methods like the reverse bair, hyphen smashing, and dashing shield-grab. They helped.

I've been looking at a few slightly trickier options for approaching the opponent, a few of which are working really, really well. I figured I'd put them up here (having seen no or limited discussion on the subject) and see what everybody thinks.

The first I started playing with after hearing that the side-b has invincibility frames, and I certainly wasn't the only one doing this. Basically, you run in, and when you're just out of your opponent's range (varies from character to character), do a side-b. This gives you a) a pause in your movement, b) a slight backwards pull, c) invincibility frames, and d) a nice method of approach/punishment if your opponent botches an attack at your feint.

This of course can also be done with a down b, which is a slightly more offensively-oriented variant. Basically, you lose the pullback and invincibility frames, but you approach faster because you don't have the hop at the beginning.

But that approach is relatively well-known. What I haven't seen anybody talk about or use is the next technique I tried out. In playing a good Sonic, you need to throw as much variety into your style as possible. So, as an alternative to the above approach, I tried out a short hop before the charge. Against some characters (Ike comes to mind), this is worthless due to the arcing nature of their smashes. However, against a more jab-oriented character like Luigi, putting yourself above their attack is quite advantageous. Also, because in this method you can jump just before you hit their max range and then charge while being carried forward by your momentum, you can connect very quickly, probably more quickly than your opponent can react.

Of course, your opponent may also become accustomed to this approach. If they do, one of two things can happen: they shield your attack (in which case you can jump cancel) or they call the move and hit you out of your spin. If they shield, it's cool, just keep the pressure up on them. The last strategy I've been using can be used if they start trying to attack you out of the approach. You do the jump-charge-cancel technique, but from the second jump (the one that cancels your charge attack), you launch another attack. Two attacks work well for this: dair and homing attack. Both stall you above your opponent, making their counter-attack miss, and both launch you downwards very quickly after the stall. It takes a lot of button-mashing and a bit of practice, but I've found it to be quite effective.

The best part is that once they start adapting to these approaches, you can dash attack them just to piss 'em off. :laugh:

Like I've said, I'm sure there are people out there who are already doing exactly this, but I haven't seen these posted so I figured I'd throw them up here so that other folks can learn to incorporate them and so that we can talk about them and hammer them out a bit.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
ya, i think sonic is well equipped for offencive play.

most reliable attack i have found is down b into a triple hit.. (1, 2 spin hits, and then an ariel)
the attack is just viscious and hard to counter.

then of course, there is the dash attack.. only good if u suprise em, hyphen smash can work ok somtimes... spring into a down air is pretty fast and good priority.. but dont miss .... even a straight forward or nuetral air can be used... homing attack once they think they have you on your toes, then it quickly switches the battle back to your favor.

he definately has a lot of tricks to pull out, I'm gona try doing a fake attack, and instead dropping a spring where they would counter me, and then quickly dairing into them after the spring hits them/they counter.

Majiin

Smash Rookie
I've noticed charging a down smash is a really good mind game, it's really good to force them into roll spamming/shield holding, they never know if it's going to be a Spin Dash or if you were faking a down smash, I've gotten many grabs by doing it.. Feel free to shut it down though.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
sounds good, not much of a smash charger myself but ill definately add that to my tricks to try. =D

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed charging a down smash is a really good mind game, it's really good to force them into roll spamming/shield holding, they never know if it's going to be a Spin Dash or if you were faking a down smash, I've gotten many grabs by doing it.. Feel free to shut it down though.
I've actually become a fan of that too. Great method of punishing overly-defensive characters.

Majiin

Smash Rookie
sounds good, not much of a smash charger myself but ill definately add that to my tricks to try. =D
Yeah I don't usually charge smashes unless I know it's going to be a hit, but I usually only do it for this one fake out, seems to work well most of the time.

I've actually become a fan of that too. Great method of punishing overly-defensive characters.
No doubt, It's usually my only method to get through a roll spamming snake player, his forward tilt is just ridiculous.

Top Bottom