• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sliding Up-B

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
While experimenting with Link's up-B, I was trying to see if there were ways to enhance it or cover it's weakness.

Link can run into an up-B easily (can stop and charge, or no charge). However, if done out of the beginning of his dash, he'll do a decent amount of sliding. Experimenting with this further, it seems as if you can extend the slide of the up-B by a little bit by hitting the reverse direction hard first before the up-B. In normal running, this causes Link to turn around and run backwards, but he has a sliding momentum backwards until he starts changing directions. I think the turn-around momentum gives the up-B a little extra slide.

I tried vs. a friend and he says it seems to make a little difference, because it gives it a chance to hit with an up-B instead of a dash attack (the dash attack still has more range). If there's another way to further extend the sliding up-B, it'd be very interesting.

Another thing I was able to do was sort of a "B-reversal" on the floor. I'm not sure if it's possible on the floor, but I had sort of a strange odd movement like a b-reversal while toying with the sliding up-B. I hope some of you can try it and see if it has a real practical application (the reversal doesn't seem to move him very far either). I'm thinking something like this: you're close to the opponent, you run and up-B reversal while on the ground...

Unfortunately I am unable to create videos of these tests. Hopefully someone can verify or disprove my theory.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
With further testing, I was able to make good use of this from one those difficult ledge hops.

Ledge hop ->Zair (hits enemy)-> sliding up-B. It does seem to also work without the extra slide, so the description above may be moot in this application, but it also depends on the distance/size of the opponent after the Zair.

And in place of Zair->QDA, I've tried using Zair->sliding up-B with some success. Pretty situational though, but the up-B has some kill potential, whereas QDA doesn't. I find the Zair-> up-B is a lot better without the second hit of the Zair (it knocks them too far back).

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
I myself found an odd "SAA" glitch. (Sliding Air Arrow) I SHed, almost took out the GB, but changed my mind at the last second and used an arrow. The result? Link began to take out the bow and arrow normally, but as he released it, he warped about 3/4 the range of a Zair forward. I have not been able to replicate it.

As for the Sliding Spin Attack, it may be useful for something like the moonwalk > Spin Attack > edgehog in Melee.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
if wavedashing was in Brawl, Link would've been a monster lmfao

=[ what could have been

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
I myself found an odd "SAA" glitch. (Sliding Air Arrow) I SHed, almost took out the GB, but changed my mind at the last second and used an arrow. The result? Link began to take out the bow and arrow normally, but as he released it, he warped about 3/4 the range of a Zair forward. I have not been able to replicate it.

As for the Sliding Spin Attack, it may be useful for something like the moonwalk > Spin Attack > edgehog in Melee.
The spin-attack to edgehog in Brawl is useless because Link can so easily fast fall to grab the ledge. In fact, I haven't been able to do it at all actually, despite trying. The few times it seems close, Link doesn't grab the edge, and doesn't a very gimped/buggy spin-attack fall (no hitbox, fall special).

If only the DAC worked with the spin-attack, huh?

Top Bottom