• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sliding d-smash viability.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Gonna tag @ Asdioh Asdioh as we talked about this earlier. I think it's great for reading and punishing rolls, mindgames, and spacing in general. You could also run just out of range of a laggy move, then punish it by sliding in. Kirby can also use his jab and D-Tilt out of this, which are both incredibly useful. As you can slide and crouch using this, you can F-Tilt, U-Smash, and F-Smash out of the sliding crouch. This gives U-Smash more sliding distance, gives F-Smash any sliding distance in general, and is relatively safe for avoiding moves. Also, you can slide in your shield and while spotdodging, which gives Kirby better defensive options. U-Tilt while sliding will land the sourspot on opponents in front of you, giving you a frame advantage and better combos at higher percents.

Haven't tried out the S-Smash enough to talk about it, though.

Last edited:

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
I was trying it out earlier and it does provide a very significant slide. The only problem I have with it is that the startup time to do it is so long. You have to dash, and then turn around and wait for the sliding animation to come out in order to use it. So it really seems like you have to read the opponent's attacks. Though I haven't tried the other options like shielding and ducking yet. I can see it being useful with ducking just because of the fact that Kirby can't crawl. Giving him that sliding crouch just seems so overkill on matchups he already does well against. Imagine sliding under the paralyzer gun into an upsmash or fsmash, brutal.

I think this is an amazing tool in general for any character to have, but I feel like it doesn't fix Kirby's problem of being hard to approach with. I could be wrong, but I'll have to use it more to see for myself.

On the other hand s-smashing. It isn't that useful compared to just using a running upsmash to punish someone. It's something that requires you to have amazing spacing with your foxtrot. The distance you travel is based on your foxtrot and you can't just stop whenever and wherever you want to on the spot. So sometimes it could put you in an unfavorable position. The stutterstep fsmash used in it is great. A little extra distance for our fsmash is great when someone misspaces or whiffs an attack! Everyone should learn how to foxtrot and stutterstep fsmash as both are important mobility and spacing mechanics. S-smashing thought is just putting two and two together.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
This doesn't seem well for approaching, but this is a good tactic for punishing, etc. because of what Reserved said about laggy moves. The s-smash doesn't seem to have the same usability because Kirby's fsmash has already been buffed in speed.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
While it isn't good for approaching, it does open more options for mind games and reads to punish FG's "infinite" roll shenanigans for example. I think S-Smash is useful for it increase "range" rather than its speed. More range is good, yes?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I used this to punish a friend last night after he and another friend trolled me in a previous match. He kept rolling everywhere, and ended up getting killed from my sliding down smash.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I don't really care about the sliding Dsmash because I could just Upsmash or whatever for the same result, but sliding Jab, Uptilt, and Dtilt are pretty amazing.

Top Bottom