• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slide DI

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
How hard do you have to "slide" the control stick to perform slide DI well? I know that I can do it, but I can't do it CONSISTENTLY to escape the more annoying combos like Captain Falcon's up-air chain.

From what I read in ant-D's DI thread, you simply slide the control stick between one "pie slice" of the controller; for example, you'd slide it from diagonal down-right to diagonal up-right, making your character move in roughly those directions while being hit.

The problem is, I'm not sure how HARD you have to slide the control stick. Should you treat the "sliding" part as two quick "smashed" directions, or should you lightly slide it without actually mashing it like you would for a Smash attack? I still can't do it consistently, so I figure I must be doing it right some of the time, but wrong the rest of the time - thus, I need a bit of help.

How, exactly, should you "slide" the control stick?

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
comparing whether DI is working by whether you can escape falcon combos or not is kinda silly, you know it's working if you can escape stuff like drills. Falcon combos are extremely difficult to get out of.

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
comparing whether DI is working by whether you can escape falcon combos or not is kinda silly, you know it's working if you can escape stuff like drills. Falcon combos are extremely difficult to get out of.
Heh, I know - that was a pretty poor example to use on my part but it was the only thing I could think of off the top of my head. Anyway, my main concern is HOW to do slide DI in terms of how hard I should be rotating/slamming the control stick between two points. If anyone can give me any pointers, I'd appreciate 'em.

cam`

Smash Apprentice
what do you mean 'hard.' your control stick should be pointed as far as it can go so there's no question of 'hard' or not. its about speed, and you should do it as fast as you possibly can

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
what do you mean 'hard.' your control stick should be pointed as far as it can go so there's no question of 'hard' or not. its about speed, and you should do it as fast as you possibly can
By "hard" I mean "like you'd do for a Smash attack", as opposed to moving the stick a bit more gently (like a power attack...?). The thing is, for Smash DI, you have to "smash" the control stick in a given direction, and then you'll have a 5-frame window for your character to move as a result of your Smash DI input(s). However, for Slide DI, you get 10 frames of input, which implies that you have to "smash" that control stick AT LEAST twice (since you did it at least ONCE for Smash DI).

I guess what I'm really asking is this: to do slide DI, do you have to "smash" the control stick in two distinct directions on one piece of the "pie", or should you do it more "smoothly" and blend both motions into one rotation? I'm just trying to pinpoint what exactly I should be doing to that control stick to slide DI effectively.

This probably seems like a really stupid question to some of you, but please help me - I'd like to nail this down as soon as possible. I can't do it as consistently as I'd like, and I definitely want to be able to slide DI 90% or more of the times that I need/want to.

cam`

Smash Apprentice
i don't know what you mean by 'smash.' 'smash' requires that the control stick start from neutral position. the only way i can describe di is like this: find two angles on the control stick 'pie' where the middle point is the direction you want to go, and move between these two points as fast as humanly possible (pointing the control stick as far as it can go)

if you're asking whether you have to smash twice (ie, smash up-right, return to neutral, smash down-right) the answer is no. you only need to move the control stick to the edge once, and then you should be sliding between two sides.

the best way to understand how it works is to practice it. if you spend just 15 minutes di'ing out of an easy attack like samus' screw attack, everything will make much more sense

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
you don't wind your hand up from 2 feet away and come in and slam the control stick. Hold the controller normally, when you get hit with an attack move the control stick the direction you want to go as fast as possible without taking your hand off the controller. Then slide it back and forth as fast as you can while keeping your hand still on the controller.

It isn't really a question about hard it's just how fast you can do it. If you want to break your control stick by doing it as hard as you possibly can, go for it. It will work either way.

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
*Gives Met an "AntD approves of this sentence" sticker.

On topic, I'm afraid I'm far from the expert on slide DI, but I try and do HCF motion, which doesn't really do all that much for me.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
you don't wind your hand up from 2 feet away and come in and slam the control stick. Hold the controller normally, when you get hit with an attack move the control stick the direction you want to go as fast as possible without taking your hand off the controller. Then slide it back and forth as fast as you can while keeping your hand still on the controller.

It isn't really a question about hard it's just how fast you can do it. If you want to break your control stick by doing it as hard as you possibly can, go for it. It will work either way.
I actually take my right hand off the controller for extended combos like Falcon Uairs...heh.
Or on the N64 when drilling actually lags the game...I always found that kinda funny.

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
you don't wind your hand up from 2 feet away and come in and slam the control stick.
Ant-D beat me to saying this, but that really WAS funny. I literally laughed out loud when I read this. Good one.

Hold the controller normally, when you get hit with an attack move the control stick the direction you want to go as fast as possible without taking your hand off the controller. Then slide it back and forth as fast as you can while keeping your hand still on the controller.

I get the point - thanks. So the bottom line is getting the control stick to move across a given "pie slice" as quickly as possible. I guess regardless of whether I "smash" it or not, the speed with which I do it is what counts.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I can safely say that I understand this now. Hooray.

Top Bottom