• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SLC, Utah high school smash league

Takalth

Smash Ace
My college (Neumont University) is starting a smash league for nearby high schools. It will start with a series of 4-man crew battles to decide seeding and end with a tournament of all of the crews.

The main requirement is that each team must consist of students from the same high school, and they have to still be attending. Most of the advertising is being done by Neumont, but if your school hasn't been approached but you can get people for a team before January 18, you can be added.

Since the primary advertising is not being done through smashboards, you can expect the competition to be a lot weaker than you would see at a normal tournament. That means that if you have to get two or three casual smashers to build a full team, you will still stand a decent chance.

Anyway, here are the official rules. http://www.neumont.edu/events/highschool-lan-league/index.html

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
That's.. pretty much awesome. I wish my HS had had that option. I'll be sure to tell my friends who may have brothers/sisters in HS about this :p.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
I'll add this thread to the Utah Thread first post. This might have fit better in the Regional forum since it is an ongoing event, but I guess it's too late now.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
"Neumont University will host the Utah High School LAN League"
That one use of the word "Utah" is the only thing on the site I could find that would suggest that it's not...? I dunno.
"If you have any questions about Neumont University, or about the reception, please contact us Toll-Free at
1-888-NEUMONT. "
Call em :).

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Ah...now it's all coming together. Word has been spread around my high school that I'm regarded as what they call "Utah's State Champion." So there has been people coming up to me and talking to me, trying to get me to join their team. I was wondering what they were talking about...but now, I think they're talking about this thing. Too bad I don't attend the same school as the rest of my crew, since Rafa-Son, Chao, and Soto all attend East High School. If they come, I'll bet my life that they'll win for sure (as the rest of the top smashers don't attend the same school/graduated already).

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
well i have good news for anyone who is not from utah and wants to be in this lan thing.
I just called and they said its open to all high schools even ones that are not in utah

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Sweet:). I figured that they would allow OOSers, considering the whole point is to get more people interested in the university (I'd never heard of Neumont, actually) so,, yup.

Takalth

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with OOS, as the entire purpose of this is marketing and Neumont markets everywhere. Of course, that means that you have to drive down to Utah four Fridays in a row and be there by 5:30. I'm not sure that's even a physical possibility unless you leave high school early (Are you still in High school BC?).

Now to PC, I'm pretty sure you don't need your whole team to win this. In fact, if anyone from Smashboards, especially one of Utah's best players, is in this, I was planning on asking if they were willing to be the last person in the crew, just to make sure the other teams felt like they had something of a chance. I could easily see one of Utah's top players taking 14 stock down by themselves.

Also, you are allowed more than one team per high school if you have enough people.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
BC, how far away is your town in Idaho from Salt Lake?

I live in Utah, but it takes me 4 1/2 hours just to get to FTS's house...

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
i takes like 3 to 3 1/2 hours but i dont know if i can make it on time but i also think that sense they're trying to get more people to go to there school they'll be fine when i explane how hard it is to get there on time so the can probable just have our games later.

And just so you know our team will be
Me, BC
Yamer
Andy (the samus kid that took 5th at the tourny that khom took 3rd in)
chex (my partner in the teams tourny for enix he plays marth)

the subs would be
Alex
Matt

they are kids who dont play but i think it will be ok cuz the rest of us can make up for their lack of skill

We also all go to the same school (Idaho Falls high school) in case anyone was wondering

Also you can miss one of the days before the last one and still be in it so i think it would be fine in any case I'm pumped for this it should be fun because its one of the only tourny i could convince everyone to go to with the resent situation and i love crew battles so ya this should be a good time.

I think we should be able to give Rafa's team a good game

Takalth

Smash Ace
I'll talk to Neumont and see about people showing up a little late (give me an idea of exactly when you expect to get here). I hadn't realized how many of the people I smash with are still in High school, so it looks like the teams are going to be better than I had expected. BTW, if you could get two more people to come, BC, you could bring down two teams from your school.

Anyway, We need an exact count by Thursday of how many teams.

Also, if we have people from Idaho down, would anybody be interested in hosting a smashfest on one or more of those Fridays after the league battles? I really can't do more than about six people at my house, and I only have one TV (though we could set up a second if somebody brought one). I'll do a small one at my house, but I'd rather do it somewhere else, so that I don't have to turn people away.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
Well i dont think we will stay over night but i think we can get there at 6 630 ish depending on roads also we will only have one team the other kids will be alts but they are like one time deals they woulldnt go to more than one of the weeks. Matt and alex both droped but i have like 7 or 8 others who will go to one of these when we need someone so i think it will be fine. Thanks for saying we could stay at your house now that fts rejected yamer and i but the first one we'll pass on because we have our tournament to run the next day and andy cant stay the night on any or the days so ya i dont think we'll stay in utah over night but if we want to ill be sure to give you some heads up on it.

Takalth

Smash Ace
I had actually only meant that 6 is how many people I could reasonably have present in my house (I was referring to smashing for a few hours, rather than overnight). Actually housing six would require you to bring your own bedding and sleep like sardines. If we absolutely had to, we could, but it would be exceedingly sub-optimal.

Anyway, I'll talk to the humans at Neumont. They should be amiable to letting you start a bit late, as I gave them a high estimate of how long everything would take.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
Ok i just Reged my team but it didnt say anything about secondaries for when people cant make it. So how does that work out

PS my team will probably be moved to bottom seed because we might miss two of the days which gives us an auto bottom seed so rafa you might not want first seed :) lol

Takalth

Smash Ace
I haven't actually done the registration thing, so I don't know how it's been set up, but if you need to shift any alternates in, I can make sure it happens. You'll have to discuss with the alternates how to handle the prizes if you win, though.

BTW, is Rafa's team actually coming? People keep mentioning it, but I haven't seen any confirmation.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Well, first night down. It was a lot of fun, so anybody who hasn't joined (PC, Rafa, Sinz) it isn't too late, since you're allowed to miss one night.

For anybody who attended who hadn't been on smashboards before, check out the Utah thread and the biWeeklies (links in my signature). We always want more Utah smashers.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
Whats this i hear about Gojo phil raging and jeyt teaming as far as i know only Gojo is still in high school and this is a high school lan thing.

Top Bottom