• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ska/Punk music suggestions?

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
Currently the only band I can really name is Streetlight Manifesto but I don't really think I can claim to grasp a genre with one band.
I was recently introduced to the glory that is Ska music, I would absolutely love any and every band suggestion.
Please. I need more.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ska? I'm far more into reggae, but I guess I know my way around the gerne. The Skatalites for example is a very famous old skool Jamaican ska band. Otherwise, checking some of Bob Marley's earlier work also could be rewarding. Check his first tunes like Simmer Down, or Judge Not. Got that real old skool feeling to. Prince Buster is also a great Jamaican old skool ska singer. For a more new skool sound, check Reel Big Fish. I guess from all these songs on YouTube, you'll be linked to other artists and will become more familiar with the gerne.

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
Thanks for the suggestions! The Skatalites weren't what I was expecting (guess I was just expecting Ska Punk) but I definitely like their sound. It's much more relaxed than most music I've heard and I dig it. Same goes for the Bob Marley tracks, I've heard a good amount of his music yet I've never actually searched for it but now I'm really interested! Reel Big Fish is more like what I've been shown, I think I've heard of them before but I'm not sure where. I'll continue to search through all their works, thanks again! I really like what I've seen so far.

EDIT: Also looking into Prince Buster! Forgot to mention him.

Last edited:

Wojo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wojo42
3DS FC
1092-0117-9940
Less Than Jake is up there with Reel Big Fish for big ska bands; All My Best Friends Are Metalheads is without a doubt their biggest hit, so check them out.

You might also be interest in Streelight Manifesto's side project; Bandit's of the Acoustic Revolution. Still got the same vibe, but with Latin guitar sound as opposed to the horns of ska.

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
I'll be sure to check those out soon! Acoustic Revolution sounds interesting.

Spennicus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groovysmithy
3DS FC
2750-1131-0443
If you're getting into ska you absolutely must listen to The Specials. Rat Race in particular is my favorite song by them.

DerpyCookies

Smash Rookie
I would highly recommend Madness. They're a really goofy band, but I really enjoy their work. If you want a more ska punk sound, try Sublime or Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
I would highly recommend Madness. They're a really goofy band, but I really enjoy their work. If you want a more ska punk sound, try Sublime or Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
WOAH this is a late response as my forum game has been off recently but thanks for the suggestions! I've actually listened to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones before, I just didn't realize what genre they were under, glad to find them again and know now.
Sublime is really cool! There sound is different from most of what I've heard now, though I can't pinpoint what makes it different. I still really like it!
OH MY GOD MADNESS. I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE I WAS LISTENING TO THEM
I'm speaking of "Our House", a popular song I've heard many times before.
Digging into there other songs has presented me with the goof you were talking of, I absolutely love it. It's so charming.
Thanks again! I really do appreciate it.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Currently the only band I can really name is Streetlight Manifesto but I don't really think I can claim to grasp a genre with one band.
I was recently introduced to the glory that is Ska music, I would absolutely love any and every band suggestion.
Please. I need more.
I'd say give Goldfinger a listen if you haven't heard of them yet. Try their self titled album.

Top Bottom