• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Situational ledge handoff setup

OverlordZelos

Smash Rookie
Very similar to this off stage fair setup by phresh https://youtu.be/9wG9Hi0hm-A?t=3m (the whole video is cool too btw)

The set up is the same as the brawl d-throw>b-throw>regrab handoff. You down throw and move nana slightly foward about half a step(maybe alittle more) and regrab, nana will then back throw and you can regrab with popo. As always this works with everyone except puff.

P.S the F-throw>F-Throw set up phresh uses at 00:47 is great to if you are just out of ledge distance.

ilysm

sleepy
Yeah, I think Big D discovered this one a while back! It's kinda been forgotten, though, so I'm glad to see someone bring it back! It's disappointing that it hasn't seen a ton of utility, I think a lot of people really underrated this setup when it was found out due to its specific constraints. It could be good for punishing laggy recoveries off of grabbing ledge, like Sheik or Falcon or tethers. Heck, this could work on a lot of characters with good timing, you just need enough time to do regular getup and punish with a grab. Wait until they land onstage and go into lag, then regular getup into handoff (below 100% obviously). You could also use it to secure a kill out of a regular handoff facing towards the ledge if you catch them with bad DI for dthrow -> reverse hit of dair to turn them around, which for some reason I rarely see people use over just full-hop dairing.

Last edited:

OverlordZelos

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I think Big D discovered this one a while back! It's kinda been forgotten, though, so I'm glad to see someone bring it back! It's disappointing that it hasn't seen a ton of utility, I think a lot of people really underrated this setup when it was found out due to its specific constraints. It could be good for punishing laggy recoveries off of grabbing ledge, like Sheik or Falcon or tethers. Heck, this could work on a lot of characters with good timing, you just need enough time to do regular getup and punish with a grab. Wait until they land onstage and go into lag, then regular getup into handoff (below 100% obviously). You could also use it to secure a kill out of a regular handoff facing towards the ledge if you catch them with bad DI for dthrow -> reverse hit of dair to turn them around, which for some reason I rarely see people use over just full-hop dairing.

I know about that infinite and im not talking about that, to do the big d infinite you have to make nana dash foward and I think it has different timing . What I'm talking about should be just like a standard brawl popo d-throw to nana b-throw look at the very first 3 seconds of this vid the rest is irrelevent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yquQe7jb_z8 it should look like a faster version of that, another example is https://youtu.be/5UvwNyWNCKc?t=6m51s (btw this whole set godlike imo) popo down throws nana walks foward regrabs then b-throws and popo turns around and regrabs. The beginning of this set-up should be with ice climbers facing AWAY from the ledge and the end results should be with ice climbers facing TOWARD the ledge.

p.s The Big D infinite would be godlike if done in tourny

p.p.s one more example for people who don't know what we are talking about https://youtu.be/xLsijzdQSIc?t=57s

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
So I actually spent like a month not really understanding what you were talking about, but thinking I did. Then one day I did the setup you were talking about and got very excited before it finally clicked that "ooohhhh, this is what he meant!". It's an awesome setup; works great at punishing tethers and other laggy recoveries. I even got the Popo regrab without turning around on DK once, but I haven't done it on anyone other than a fatty yet because the way I see it even a turnaround grab will result in a KO on a fatty. Still trying to figure out the Big D infinite. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom