• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Single Player modes are not fun

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
I don't remember much of what I did single player back in 64 or Melee. A few things stand out, like getting the last trophy in melee or getting through adventure mode as fast as possible. In brawl, subspace emissary was cheesy but had its own charm that got me to play through it fully on at least 3 separate occasions, which was a relatively time consuming task.

The single player for Smash 3DS just isn't keeping me interested. More times then not I feel frustrated trying to play them to the point that I seriously question why I'm even doing it. Some aspects are obvious. Multi-man melee and home run constant at veteran modes that haven't changed (aside from items being controlled in MMM, which was long over due). The new target break is just angry birds. The mode isn't bad, but if I wanted to play angry birds, I would be playing angry birds not a watered down smash variant of it.

All-Star and Classic feel like a chore. I really enjoyed those modes in the past games, but this time around I find myself more inclined to clean the house then play those mods. They're not exactly the same as the past incarnations, but still familiar enough that I know what I'm getting in to... yet I just don't want to play. I can't put my finger on what's changed, but I can say for certain that I'm not having fun with the single player modes.

Smash Run needs to go back to the damn drawing board. This piece of trash game mode is trying to be too many things and failing at all of them. I genuinely despise everything about Smash Run. It could have been a cool treasure hunt mode, but it puts too much focus on powering up instead. The after battles make no sense and would have been better separated to a party game mode.

1 minute matches? What's the point?
Climb the tower? They may as well automatically hit first place with a blue shell every 5 seconds.
Multi-man melee? WOULDN'T I JUST F'n PLAY MULTI-MAN MELEE IF I WANTED TO DO THIS MODE?
As for the other gimick battles, like everyone having a flower on their head, Brawl had a complete option mode where you could set all kinds of cool and silly battle modes... why didn't they just bring that instead of crudely duct taping it smash run?

And who ever said "let's make customization items completely random!" needs to be fired and banned for making video games every again. Why? Because you have a game that is popular and marketed for the human vs human aspect of the game, and suddenly we're forced to go through the boring single player modes repeatedly, and more then any other smash game, to get 100% unlocks. Completing classic mode with all characters may be challenge, but odds are you'll have to do it 2-3 times over just to get the damn special move variants that SHOULD HAVE BEN UNLOCKED FROM THE START.

I still enjoy playing with other people, so the game has value in that regard. But the execution of the single player aspect has hampered my enjoyment so much I had to come complain about it on the internet.

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
But I like all those modes... :(

All Star, Classic, Home Run Contest, and Multi Man mode feel almost exactly the same as they have before.
The target break is less fun than before though, I agree.

Smash Run isn't really anything new to me, as someone with countless hours in Kirby Air Ride (specifically city trial). Since I loved City Trial mode, Smash Run is pretty great IMO. My only gripe is that the larger monsters are kind of obnoxiously hard to kill, and easy to be killed by.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I like classic mode. I feel like it could of been renamed since it doesn't feel clasic knowing you can choose paths, 2 stocks for each match, paying for higher difficulty and losing .5 if you try to continue. I do love Master core. I don't like that there are no mini games between matches.

All-Star is the same like always except you fight fighters of a time line when they first showed up in the gaming world.

Multi-Man is the same but they removed 15-Minute smash and replaced it with Rival Smash (Which I prefer imo).

Home-Run same like always and I enjoy it but let's be honest, I don't think anyone plays that the most for stadium games.

Target Blast is ok. I have nothing to say except it is fun but not as fun as target smash.

Smash Run, is really fun but I have some BS moments here and there. That's mostly because I'm trying so hard to get a mii headgear (Mario's cap) and no luck... I've spent 14 hours on classic, trophy rush, and smash run and still no luck getting the stupid hat that is all I freaking want. Hopefully I'll have more fun and less stress when I don't focus on getting something specific.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Interesting. I really like them all (except Target Blast, which I can't get in to). I only have one small gripe about Classic Mode.
Why give me the same Custom Moves I already have? I don't know where the official tourney rules are standing as of now, but if they become legal, the moves will be a pain to unlock.
Other than that, the single player content is pretty great.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I try to avoid Multiman Melee because the Mii's piss me off and I've done it since Melee. Homerun Contest is a "who the hell still cares at this point" mode, and Target Break is refreshing, but not too exciting either.

Classic Mode is the second-worst in the series, worst being Brawl. There's absolutely NO side events, the team members are crap, and the only exciting thing is the final boss. All-Stars mode is easy to beat even on Hard Mode, and once you beat it on the hardest setting before, I'll never go back.

Then there's Smash Run. I think it could've been done better, but is still my favorite single player mode. It's new, it's easy to overwhelm dozens of enemies, satisfying to use powers, and decision making is fun. Just the fun of having maxed out speed and jump with Sonic is hilarious.The matches that come after, however....oh my god. What a waste of time. Why couldn't they have "Race to the Finish" and "Climb" somewhere else? Why can't we choose the time limits or what matches we're going to do, or how many? And worst of all, it's not online.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Personally the only single player mode I enjoy is Smash Run, though it could've been SO much more. A perfect example is to make it similar to Kirby Air Ride's "City Trial" mode and make it an online feature as well. Now THAT would've been a very fun experience (even though lag still exists).

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Smash Run is good, after-events are pretty stupid in a lot of ways. But the main game is fun. I don't get KO'd much, so I don't know why people are complaining about the monsters being cheap. After my first couple of games I knew how to deal with them: attack right away, and use your powers.

I've suffered through a lot of bull in Classic. Finally, I find a NEW piece of clothing or a hat, and the next game the CPU beats me with some cheap item that falls into their lap, losing the custom.

Target Blast I'll probably never touch after getting all of the challenges. Boring.

Multi-Man is garbage. They always act like potatoes whenever they're on their own, but when they're able to stand point blank to you with 2-3 other buddies they all start attacking and combo the hell out of you. It's just frustrating.

Trophy Rush is also fun.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
I do think that they feel a bit more like a chore, in general... but that seems to mostly be because of the fact that there's now 49 characters that you need to beat /every/ mode with. Classic mode's roulette-home-button hijinks is, honestly, annoying (because it feels wasteful not to cheat for that +5 custom moves yet it's obnoxious and kills your cleartimes...). Add that to the fact that it's all fights (only like 1 of which will be a 1v1 match), and the lack of breaks like target smash and race to the finish just has it feeling... a bit iffy.

All star, meanwhile, is far less grueling... beating it with no healing items on hard isn't particularly difficult, whereas beating it on insane at all was borderline impossible. Yet, I can't say I object to that... much. While I do miss that fights felt less like multi-man-melee styled 'just smash attack' affairs before, trying to beat 49 characters 1 or 2 at a time would probably bring someone to tears-- let alone doing so again with everyone in the roster.

Home run contest I've actually found to be a bit amusing, but it's a shame that when they buffed the walls (allowing for tilt-combos and such for damage), they nerfed multi-hit attacks (poor poor yoshi...). Though, I certainly don't miss having to bat-drop combo the whole time. Target smash was the most boring thing I've ever seen-- where's my 'break the targets'!?

Multi-man melee is... a bit demented. When doing the 100-man-melee for each character, I started going for best times because I'm an idiot. After I got times under 2:22 or so, my GSP stopped going up... Yet I got a time of under 2 minutes with DK, because, again, idiot. I'd originally just wanted them all under 3, as I'd wanted all home run contests of over the 2k mark... Perfectionism with this size of roster seems akin to masochism. ._.

Smash run I've found... so-so. I dislike that it's overly reliant on powers, I dislike that boss monsters take so much to kill, I dislike that the challenges are random, I dislike that one can't hunt and seek specific power-ups (you just get what you get, mostly...)... yet, I do like that it's an arcadey sort of mode that lets me actual Mario-stomp goombas like in melee, or laser-to-death some boss-monster as Fox. Keeping the subspace 'unique' enemies to a minimum really goes so far to make it charming rather than irksome (lets be honest, subspace coasted by on its cool with those cutscenes).

But for all of those modes, I have one thing to say: Screw multihit attacks. (Pun unintentional, Samus)

Master Core's sword-form slash-combo? Go to hell.
Multi-Man Mii brawler's jab combo? Go to hell.
Oh so many Smash Run enemies? Go to hell.
Even home-run contest-- Yoshi loses so much damage potential with that nerf.

They're great and all in actual fights, but they really screw with just about every single-player mode. :/

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Cleared Classic, Adventure, All Star mode, as well as Home Run contest, 100 Man Melee, and Target Smash in Melee. Why? Because I was much younger and had nothing better to do, and only had so many games available to play.

When I got Brawl, did I do the same? Hell no, because it was such a chore in Melee that I refused to do it in Brawl. And the same goes for Smash 4.

Only fun mode is Smash Run, which I have been a lot of to unlock the Custom Moves. (Yeah, yeah, I could totally play Classic and unlock them a lot faster that way, but Classic is so boring.)

I do appreciate All-Star mode putting you up against fighters in chronological order though. Gives the game a nice little history lesson of sorts.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
All Star isn't fun for me.
Classic isn't necessarily fun, but it is necessary for the customs, and it's short enough to not feel like a chore.
Smash run has one major flaw in that the final event is random and one personal pet peeve which is those damn Koffing chains. You'll be fighting a bigger enemy and then Koffings will spawn, lowering your speed with every hit, and then having you bounce into another one. I just had my speed drop from 300 to about 80 way too much to enjoy.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
I realized part of the problem with Classic for me is that I don't even feel like I'm playing in most of the events except for the final bosses.

My last play through as Wii fit trainer saw all 5 fights won through stage hazards, items, and my partner. One of the matches, my AI partners literally did all the work. A few jab combos and a lucky item toss later and it was over before I could even throw a sun salutation.

On the one hand, it was nice to not put any work into it, but on the other hand... what's the point in me even being there if I'm not doing anything?

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Smash run would be better if it gave you options, I don't like being forced to play for only 5 minuets at a time and when I finally start to really enjoy it time runs out and I have to play a match that focuses on my weaknesses rather than strengths. Melee had the best single player modes so when you compare the 3ds' single player its very boring and really lacks personality

Top Bottom