• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions on Ryu

Lamuh

Smash Rookie
For a long time I've been bouncing around on who to 'main' in SSB4 and I think I've finally decided on sticking to Ryu and putting in the time/effort required to get decent at him. That being said, I have a few questions.

1. Who are the hardest MUs for Ryu?

2. The other characters that I'm fairly decent at are Ike, Greninja, Sonic, Shulk and Robin. Would one of those be a good secondary for Ryu's bad MUs? Or is there somebody else that should fill that spot?

3. The inputs for the strong versions of his specials are not an issue and I have my c-stick set to tilts, but what is a good way to practice and get more proficient at the strong tilts?

4. Do the normal and true shoryuken have the same vertical climb as long as you hold the input down?

5. What's the purpose of using hadouken when recovering? I've seen a couple individuals use it a few times and I've never really understood why.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
1) typically people who are fast and can combo the hell out of you, i.e. sonic, pikachu. mega man isnt a fun match up either. however, ryu doesnt auto-lose.

2) as of late, i've only really played ryu so i can't really speak too much on this. a lot of people pick cloud as his disjointed sword is a nice asset to have and he isnt a very demanding character in terms of execution.

3) this sounds like dumb advice, because it is; i just tried to apply them as much as reasonably could. basically, every time i went "i could have done this" in regards to a strong tilt, i tried to remember using it whenever the opportunity arose.

4) there are light, medium, and heavy shoryukens. they have the same height whether you do the Up B or traditional input; amount of frames holding the attack button is the key difference.

5) i use it as a pause when recovering. like, i anticipate an edgeguard attempt, so i throw out a shakunetsu; it's a means of dealing with people trying to keep you away from the ledge.

Fasterthansoup

Smash Rookie
NNID
fasterthansoup
1. While I wouldn't say the worst match ups are set in stone, most players seem to agree that villager is the worst (though personally i think megaman is the worst). But really it's not that bad. While ryu may have a lot match ups people might consider bad (diddy, megaman, sonic, pikachu), honestly most of them could be even or possibly winning. Trela doesn't really have a secondary, if you haven't watched his sets at fresh saga or anything he's played please do, he's amazing. He's managed to overcome almost all of his "bad" match ups, though he loses to 6wx, but hooded recently beat him so match up obviously isn't super hard. Trela notes that he finds pika, sonic, and bayo the worst, but not too hard.

2. Though if you want a secondary, none of those cover all his bad match ups, (as none of them beat or go even with megaman according to skatt's match up chart). Sonic covers himself and villager if you want to go with him. Easy characters that cover every match up are mario and cloud (trela has used cloud vs larry once though he lost). Personally I don't think it's necessary, (this is hypocritical however cause I also main falcon lol).

3. When playing non important games, try to focus entirely on using them and auto pilot everything else. Eventually it will become muscle memory and you can play normally. For combos that involve them just practice in training mode for a while.

4. Yes

5. It could hit the opponent, but it also it delays your recovery so they will wiff their edge guard if they don't read it. Also allows for you to possibly get better stage positioning.

Top Bottom