• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon/Richter Combat Speculation Thread

Essora

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I know we don't have a lot of info to go off of from the Simon/Richter trailers, but I feel there's no such thing as too soon to start a discussion! I'll start with some things I've noticed:

His kit in general seems to be geared towards zoning out the opponent, using Cross, Holy Water, and Axe to force his opponents to go where he wants them in the neutral, than using his whip's reach to go in. His grab is not a tether, so that means he'll have to get in closer than usual to get his grabs off, and another thing I noticed as far as close combat is concerned was the slide seems to provide some way of getting inside.

In Richter's trailer, they showed him do an upthrow into an upsmash. I really hope that's a true combo, and if so that's gross.

Anything anybody else noticed? Like I said, we really don't have a lot to go off of, but we've seen a little more than some other characters

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I don't think up throwing to up smash was true. The victim started to fall between hits?

The slide kick is for escaping not entering. He's a long range zoner with slow startup on everything. He won't want to be close to anyone. Grab is a last resort option. It's rare to find someone that outranges him to force the issue.

Hopefully he does good shield damage so others can't simply bulldog their way in.

I'm Really curious about his jab startup and if he has a kill throw .

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's hard to go off of so little but, what we have so far I completely agree with Simon and Richter being Zoners pretty decent ones at that being able to snuff approaches with Holy water also being able to follow up if it connects, Axe as a possible anti air also useful for those characters forced to recover low, While cross being a nice pressure tool that you can also follow up off of if both hits connect.

As for aerials I'm assuming they will be safe on shield if they're properly spaced (With the exception of nair up air and dair) in Simon's trailer you can see that dair Can spike on the early hit. Also in Richter's trailer you can see Nair can drag the opponent down with you leading to grab but I see this as impractical since you want to keep people away and the only follow up I see being is grab since his moves are slow.

For Tilts we've seen Up tilt from Richter's trailer it looks similar to zero suit samus up smash but only one hit, it looks like a neat anti air looks moderately slow some what like corrin's up tilt. Side tilt similar to forward smash where he flings his whip but not nearly as much range nothing to special with this tilt imo. Finally Down tilt I believe a two button press move one tap the initial slide and the second button press being a lunge, I can see this move going under a multitude of projectiles it could also be used to punish or catch landings. As for jab I'm assuming it'll be the free control of the whip. (Most likely incorrect but I dont see it going anywhere else)

Lastly grabs which we've only seen two of those being down throw and up throw. Both of which seem to be get off me options none really seeming to combo.

Edit: Recovery seems pretty nice since you can tether to the edge and up b has a hit box.

Last edited:

Essora

Smash Cadet
I don't think up throwing to up smash was true. The victim started to fall between hits?

The slide kick is for escaping not entering. He's a long range zoner with slow startup on everything. He won't want to be close to anyone. Grab is a last resort option. It's rare to find someone that outranges him to force the issue.

Hopefully he does good shield damage so others can't simply bulldog their way in.

I'm Really curious about his jab startup and if he has a kill throw .
Good points, although regarding the upthrow to upsmash it does look like he may have charged it a little bit, otherwise that move has killer startup lag. May be better in most situations to shorthop up-air if that's the case.

I'm wondering how well he can potentially juggle, especially with his aerials having such huge range

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
he definitely will be a zoner. every ground move looks to be really slow except for down tilt and uppercut. upb out of shield will probably be his only option to get people out of his face since even without a tether his grab is really slow. but just like the presentation said, the thing that will set him apart from everyone else will be the range on the whip. with the slow startup on most of his moves hopefully the FAFs and landing lag wont be too terrible.

Essora

Smash Cadet
he definitely will be a zoner. every ground move looks to be really slow except for down tilt and uppercut. upb out of shield will probably be his only option to get people out of his face since even without a tether his grab is really slow. but just like the presentation said, the thing that will set him apart from everyone else will be the range on the whip. with the slow startup on most of his moves hopefully the FAFs and landing lag wont be too terrible.
Yeah, a lot of his general performance is going to boil down to simple frame data. And we're still four months away so there's no guarentee that the finished product is going to be exactly like the trailers. I definitely am gonna main him if he's at least high tier, or secondary him if he's mid. That being said, it's still extremely fun to speculate.

I just had a thought now about Holy Water. I wonder if you may be able to start combos off of it like Ness or Robin do. I mean, it's probably going to have at least a simple followup if you catch somebody in it

Last edited:

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
It seems like they will play like you are playing Castlevania, you will need to zone your opponent perfectly and always keep distance while using well timed projectles and punishes then you have to back off again.

Essora

Smash Cadet
Another thing I just thought of, what are his jab, f-tilt, and f-smash gonna be? Surely they can't all be variations of whipping forward, and we've only seen one move where he does whip forward, which I assume was either jab or f-tilt. It's very likely he'll have some ground tools we haven't seen yet.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Another thing I just thought of, what are his jab, f-tilt, and f-smash gonna be? Surely they can't all be variations of whipping forward, and we've only seen one move where he does whip forward, which I assume was either jab or f-tilt. It's very likely he'll have some ground tools we haven't seen yet.
Based on what we have seen I think jab/ftilt are going to be the same move like megamans. But you probably hold down a for the free whip control stance. In the Richter example video on the website it shows him blocking samus' missiles and then what appears to be fsmash. Next it shows him whipping a capsule with ftilt. The moves don't look the same so my guess is they both use the standard whip attack as a basis.

Essora

Smash Cadet
Based on what we have seen I think jab/ftilt are going to be the same move like megamans. But you probably hold down a for the free whip control stance. In the Richter example video on the website it shows him blocking samus' missiles and then what appears to be fsmash. Next it shows him whipping a capsule with ftilt. The moves don't look the same so my guess is they both use the standard whip attack as a basis.
If that's the case and they all look similar with different frame data, he's going to have stupid mixups in neutral

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Yeah seriously and thier neutral is already very good due to HUGE range and various projectiles.

Essora

Smash Cadet
Yeah seriously and thier neutral is already very good due to HUGE range and various projectiles.
If three of his neutral moves look identical then he'll just have an inherent mind game, especially when it comes to trying to approach. His whip has the ground covered pretty well, plus his kit has plenty of anti air tools to stuff an approach from above, I imagine you'll generally want to use cross and holy water to pressure opponents into going in, then you can punish ground approach with jab, f-tilt, or shorthop fair, maybe even shorthop nair as a "get-off-me" if they do get too close for comfort. As long as his frame data permits I think there may be serious potential in this character, but idk if he's ever going to have a similar effort-to-reward ratio as like Bayo

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
No character should have a reward to effort ratio like bayo lol. I'm hoping the Belmonts are at least fringe competitively viable.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Yeah it's hard to go off of so little but, what we have so far I completely agree with Simon and Richter being Zoners pretty decent ones at that being able to snuff approaches with Holy water also being able to follow up if it connects, Axe as a possible anti air also useful for those characters forced to recover low, While cross being a nice pressure tool that you can also follow up off of if both hits connect.

As for aerials I'm assuming they will be safe on shield if they're properly spaced (With the exception of nair up air and dair) in Simon's trailer you can see that dair Can spike on the early hit. Also in Richter's trailer you can see Nair can drag the opponent down with you leading to grab but I see this as impractical since you want to keep people away and the only follow up I see being is grab since his moves are slow.

For Tilts we've seen Up tilt from Richter's trailer it looks similar to zero suit samus up smash but only one hit, it looks like a neat anti air looks moderately slow some what like corrin's up tilt. Side tilt similar to forward smash where he flings his whip but not nearly as much range nothing to special with this tilt imo. Finally Down tilt I believe a two button press move one tap the initial slide and the second button press being a lunge, I can see this move going under a multitude of projectiles it could also be used to punish or catch landings. As for jab I'm assuming it'll be the free control of the whip. (Most likely incorrect but I dont see it going anywhere else)

Lastly grabs which we've only seen two of those being down throw and up throw. Both of which seem to be get off me options none really seeming to combo.

Edit: Recovery seems pretty nice since you can tether to the edge and up b has a hit box.
His jab was shown during when he hit Link. I believe his F-Tilt is Melee sheik chain. Also Sakurai said that Bayonetta would be slow as well and we all know how that turned out. (Witch Twist F3).

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering how well he can potentially juggle, especially with his aerials having such huge range
Not well, I'm guessing. The best jugglers have wide up-airs (Cloud) but those long thin up-airs (Link) are fairly easy to escape, especially by characters with any air acceleration. Simon's aerial mobility is famously bad. He was infamous for his inability to change anything about his jump arc in CV1, so I'm guessing his air acceleration in Smash will be Ryu level poor. This limits his ability to chase for the juggle.

with the slow startup on most of his moves hopefully the FAFs and landing lag wont be too terrible.
Landing lag is small for the whole cast. That's an Ultimate change. I'm curious if Richter will keep his backdash landing lag cancels from his source games. (Alucard also had it. Simon didn't AFAIK.)

I wonder if you may be able to start combos off of it like Ness or Robin do. I mean, it's probably going to have at least a simple followup if you catch somebody in it
Some simple combos were shown that started with the holy water, so I'm sure there's situations where you could get a 3-hit if the stars align.

Essora

Smash Cadet
Not well, I'm guessing. The best jugglers have wide up-airs (Cloud) but those long thin up-airs (Link) are fairly easy to escape, especially by characters with any air acceleration. Simon's aerial mobility is famously bad. He was infamous for his inability to change anything about his jump arc in CV1, so I'm guessing his air acceleration in Smash will be Ryu level poor. This limits his ability to chase for the juggle.

Landing lag is small for the whole cast. That's an Ultimate change. I'm curious if Richter will keep his backdash landing lag cancels from his source games. (Alucard also had it. Simon didn't AFAIK.)

Some simple combos were shown that started with the holy water, so I'm sure there's situations where you could get a 3-hit if the stars align.
All good points. Personally I'd be happy if you could just get like one whip off of the holy water. I'm excited for the universal landing lag reduction. It should improve a lot of characters and hopefully characters like Simon can benefit from this

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
With Ultimate seeming to favor aggressive play above all else, I am a wee bit worried about the Belmonts preforming well. I think they got the right tools to be good fighters, it just really comes down to how easy it is to defend against said tools. Because all the range in the world means nothing if your frame data is bad. Looking at you, :ultshulk:.

I'm mostly worried about the new perfect shield mechanics. The timing of the sub weapons especially seems very easy to time a shield drop with, meaning walling people out might not mean that much if it's fairly easy to work around them.

Still, I think the Belmonts are gonna be fine. I don't see them dominating, but they definitely have a lot of things going for them.

Palta King

Smash Rookie
I feel that the central playstyle of spacing with your normal attacks seems too straightforward to continue theory crafting about, with the little information we have. What I'm eager to talk about it's the specials: how to open up the opponent, pressuring, making setups and punishing accordingly with the reach of the whip. So, I made list with ideas and opinions on how we can exploit each one of these moves.

Disclaimer: I'm mostly using as reference the frame data from this post. Shout out to JosePollo.
60 frames it's 1 second IRL. Human reaction time it's 16 frames on average, pro players get close to 11-12 frames.
Some setups maybe a little of wishful thinking, probably could never work on actual matches, but at the very least knowing that you have more options it's the base for a great pressure playstyle.

Cross: thrown on frame 19, animation ends on frame 62. But has FAF at 46. Travel away on frames 19-65 from the initial input, 66> starts to return.
  • It seems it would be optimal to throwing it at a shorthop height (or maybe a little lower), so it could severely prevent rushdowns do to hitting at least 2 times both standing and jumping opponents.
  • At 2/3 of the travelled distance (roughly a second after the animation started), before the cross starts spinning in reverse, the player's lag from the animation is already over, so a second hit is coming, and you are free to do anything from this point onward.
  • As an antiaerial this also could lead to a defensive action from airborne opponents such as air dodge (directional or neutral) or double jump, being easily punished by the sheer range of the whip. I don't think clashing with an attack could work, because it destroys Wario's motorbike with a single hit, so probably has good priority/damage.
  • As a generalization, the best option for an airborne opponent would be to fastfall to the ground and then shield, perfect shield, roll, spotdodge or just waiting it out. The last three options would give enough time to react if your opponent is anything but next to you.
  • If it can be wavebounced it would be more secure and better as harassing tool.
  • Throwing the cross opposite from the opponent so when it's returning it could work as sort of a Lloid for the Belmonts, maybe even for edgeguarding. Although it would solely depend on how much distance does travel in reverse before disappearing. Obviously, you will need to prevent catching it: D-tilt, crouch, jump or spot dodge could do the trick.

Holy Water: Thrown on frame 18, animation ends on frame 70. But has FAF at 50.
Hits the ground: without bouncing on frame 30. With a bounce on frame 45. Flame pillar active 1-50 frames, frames 30-80 from the start of the animation.
  • Many clips on the trailers shows that with proper spacing you could easily combo the fire into a F-Smash or a ladder combo. If you don't have the spacing, it seems that the fire doesn't have a launching final hit, so at least open up for mixups because the opponent is airborne at the end of it.
  • The bounce hitbox after the throw helps to better comboing into the fire, also give you more time to prepare the followup.
  • The bounce hit could intercept the opponent's recovery or double jump and not launching them anywhere (sort of Falco's laser).
  • B-reversing on the air could change your momentum and secure your landing with a flame pillar that last for almost a second.
  • If it can be wavebounced it would be more secure and better as defensive tool.

Axe: Thrown on frame 30, animation ends on frame 80. FAF:??
  • As shown in the trailer, it can cover many options on edge guarding: recoveries under the ledge, hanging, double jump, jump from the ledge, normal ledge get up and ledge attack. Buffering roll could be still punished if spaced and timed correctly.
  • The axe ending lag is already over by the time the axe it's on the same height of the Belmonts. Following the axe with a cross or whip attack will cover the rest of the zone. Seems about the right distance to combo with D-tilt2 (Slide Jump) on hit or cover an airdodge on whiff.
  • The arc in which it flies could cover 2 or maybe 3 platforms on triplat stages.
  • If you are recovering from outside of the stage but higher than the main platform, you could throw the axe to cover the ledge, then double jump and tether grab. (probably the cross could work better on this scenario)

Uppercut: First hit at frame 6, then hits 5 times more until frame 21 (re-hit rate 3 frames), then special fall starts at frame 41.
  • Great as OoS option or a fast one when they breach your zoning.
  • Aside from a combo ender and recovery obviously, I don't see any other uses.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
With Ultimate seeming to favor aggressive play above all else, I am a wee bit worried about the Belmonts preforming well. I think they got the right tools to be good fighters, it just really comes down to how easy it is to defend against said tools. Because all the range in the world means nothing if your frame data is bad. Looking at you, :ultshulk:.

I'm mostly worried about the new perfect shield mechanics. The timing of the sub weapons especially seems very easy to time a shield drop with, meaning walling people out might not mean that much if it's fairly easy to work around them.

Still, I think the Belmonts are gonna be fine. I don't see them dominating, but they definitely have a lot of things going for them.
I am assuming the Belmonts will be Shulk-tier for exactly that reason. I'm less concerned about getting the axe and holy water PSed, since axe will rarely used vs grounded opponents and the water lasts long and multi-hit. The cross at grounded height will be PSed a lot. I am more worried that his *whip* will be PSed regularly.

yogsmash

Smash Rookie
I am assuming the Belmonts will be Shulk-tier for exactly that reason. I'm less concerned about getting the axe and holy water PSed, since axe will rarely used vs grounded opponents and the water lasts long and multi-hit. The cross at grounded height will be PSed a lot. I am more worried that his *whip* will be PSed regularly.
Sure, but we can definitely work around this problem. Perfect shielding a projectile doesn't really give good frame advantage as many people who played the demo said. This could change but if it does not, Simon as a campier character than most others can bait perfect shields(Perfect shields are almost useless if you attack at a range like Simon's whip, even with the frame advantage used to try to punish.)With his cross, whip and holy water apply constant pressure on the opponent, they have to stay calm to block it, or start to panic and start rolling and holding down shield accidentally when they intended to parry it, or run into Simon's face to apply pressure on Simon. About the Shulk situation, Shulk has just bad frame data and the only thing he has to offer consistently in ssb4 IS range that are considerably slow compared to others. So to compare the Belmonts to Shulk in ssb4(Also everyone got a speed buff in ssbu) could be a bit unfair, as they have very good specials that easily combo into their ranged aerials and normals which makes their neutral game great. Even during the Nintendo direct presentation of Simon's moves said that he had slow movements. But in reality, they are quite fast for their range especially that up air and upsmash, at least faster and longer than Shulk's. Also with a returning cross that is above simon can force opponents to PS, roll(Which can lead into abusing the new roll gets worse every time you use it mechanic) or a retreating jump or an overhead engage that can be punished(Also you can grab opponents right a few frames right after PS, so that can be taken into consideration as well. Adapting to a play style is also something a lot of players keep on missing out on, learning an opponent can greatly help you during a match(Finding their play style and habits and abusing them.), like if they suck at PSing consistently, punish that with returning crosses and constant pressure with aerials, if their good at it unfortunately, set traps with short hop crosses(or picross as I like to call it) and constant holy water to try to mitigate the effectiveness of PS.And when they think PS is useless and switch to a defensive or campy approach, switch back to an offensive approach to punish their defensive approach. I think we should play Simon with some player knowledge and that he is a campy/setup character and could be played more effectively be played in a slightly similar fashion to snake in ssbb.

Personally, even though I am a dumb 15 year old kid who knows nothing, I see a lot of potential in Simon and Richter because of their projectile game, especially the cross. If it functions the same way as Castlevania (Yes, I have played Dracula x and super castlevania 4 b4 even though im 15.), the cross will be constantly moving hit box that goes across the entire stage with consistent knockback if it hits. I can see many setups and uses for this move alone. For example, if lets say he throws the cross away from the stage at the height of being in between platforms, it restricts the opponents from engaging him by rushing, which forces them to either jump over it to engage, block it or dodge it, or throw a projectile that has higher priority over the cross(Which we have not seen any). This is important as Simon is a camp/setup character with some solid combos. What I can think of after seeing the footage, is that if he can get out of the end lag of his overall moves fast enough, he can setup some cool stuff up like throwing an opponent into the cross which knocks them above and towards Simon, then shorthop holy water them to make them stay in the air, following it up with an uptilt, at higher percents, upsmash, axe throw, bair, fair, or even grab if holy water functions the same way as pk fire for ness, hitting them with constant hit boxes while coming to the ground, which can lead to true grab combos we don't know about yet. and these are just combos that can happen from the cross alone. other combo starters may be first hit of down tilt into cross to the above mentioned combo or upsmash directly after getting hit by the cross at higher percents.(Simon has plenty of frames to recover after the down tilt before the upsmash.)(Also upsmash range is broken). Besides combo game, I had this idea of using holy water as a way to return to the stage(When he throws it is sent at a 30 to 45 degree angle below him from his waist, which prevents opponents to attack Simon with aerials or close-up moves at least once before activating and could also probably eat projectiles while its active)This is very scary and could give him enough utility to be competitively viable even without the range on his normal and neutrals. But he has those because he is a Belmont and range is one of their iconic properties. Of course all this is just speculation.
TL;DR Also I forgot to mention this before, but I think we should not look at his projectiles as projectiles, but as assists like in DBFZ

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
What do you guys think above the Belmonts in terms of their recovery options. From what I seen so far, both Simon and Richter recovery options aren't exactly the greatest.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
What do you guys think above the Belmonts in terms of their recovery options. From what I seen so far, both Simon and Richter recovery options aren't exactly the greatest.
Their recoveries are pretty bad and having bad air speed makes it worse. Having tethers as aerials is pretty good, but their recoveries are pretty subpar.

I really don't think they will be Smash 4 Shulk tier here. Their frame data isn't as bad as Shulk's in Smash 4 and because of the changes to lag here, Simon and Richter can do pretty well with Fair considering it can be angled and allows for decent keepaway alongside Holy Water and the Cross. Ftilt also looks almost OP; decently fast, has a lot of range, has little end lag and can cancel projectiles (even strong ones like Charge Shot).

When it comes to gameplay styles, I think these guys are anti-zoners. They themselves are zoners but their gameplan (from what we have seen) is to basically cancel out regular zoning tactics with their own, forcing them to approach instead of them. Only these guys have the means to keep them away with Fair, Ftilt, Holy Water, Cross and Fsmash. They are also potent edge-guarders, especially with the Axe since it goes on an arc, can hit people on the ledge, it is a big projectile and it hits really hard.

Simon and Richter I think will both be pretty viable in terms of competitive play, at least from what I can tell from looking at their moveset and gameplay.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I think initially, simon/richter will come out of the gates strong. They have a long abusive range and people will need to take some time to figure out how to get around that playstyle. That said, they look like they have a weak recovery with few options returning to stage. They definitely have a weakness when falling from above. There are some mechanics in SU that will benefit the playstyle here, such as ground pivoting. This will allow players to abuse ftilt and shut down most neutral options. These characters look interesting to me and I'm most hopeful to main them over anyone else in the roster.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Their recoveries are pretty bad and having bad air speed makes it worse. Having tethers as aerials is pretty good, but their recoveries are pretty subpar.

I really don't think they will be Smash 4 Shulk tier here. Their frame data isn't as bad as Shulk's in Smash 4 and because of the changes to lag here, Simon and Richter can do pretty well with Fair considering it can be angled and allows for decent keepaway alongside Holy Water and the Cross. Ftilt also looks almost OP; decently fast, has a lot of range, has little end lag and can cancel projectiles (even strong ones like Charge Shot).

When it comes to gameplay styles, I think these guys are anti-zoners. They themselves are zoners but their gameplan (from what we have seen) is to basically cancel out regular zoning tactics with their own, forcing them to approach instead of them. Only these guys have the means to keep them away with Fair, Ftilt, Holy Water, Cross and Fsmash. They are also potent edge-guarders, especially with the Axe since it goes on an arc, can hit people on the ledge, it is a big projectile and it hits really hard.

Simon and Richter I think will both be pretty viable in terms of competitive play, at least from what I can tell from looking at their moveset and gameplay.
Yeah. Even though they do have tethers on their Fair and Bair, it doesn't exactly make much of a difference when their air speed isn't good enough to allow them to get close enough to the ledge to tether recover.

No doubt that the Belmonts are gonna have a heavy zoning playstyle. I can also see them as potentially good ledge trappers as well since their moveset does seem to allow them to cover all get-up options from the ledge. For instance, The Axe can be use to cover get-up jumps, the Holy Water can be use to cover Normal get-ups and get-up Attacks, and their F-tilt and Fsmash can be used to cover get-up rolls

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yeah. Even though they do have tethers on their Fair and Bair, it doesn't exactly make much of a difference when their air speed isn't good enough to allow them to get close enough to the ledge to tether recover.

No doubt that the Belmonts are gonna have a heavy zoning playstyle. I can also see them as potentially good ledge trappers as well since their moveset does seem to allow them to cover all get-up options from the ledge. For instance, The Axe can be use to cover get-up jumps, the Holy Water can be use to cover Normal get-ups and get-up Attacks, and their F-tilt and Fsmash can be used to cover get-up rolls
And the cross-a-rang covers plenty as well.

Top Bottom