• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Sigh* Ready to quit...

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
I have been playing Captain Falcon for a good while now and I am beginning to get very frustrated.

See, I'm not a "professional." I don't know much on how to wavedash, I don't shffl, and most of my fighting is aerial. However, I am actually very even (skill-wise) with my closest smash buddy who plays Link.

I'm just having a bit of difficulty grasping a couple things:

1) HOW does someone with no weapons or projectiles possibly compete with someone with the reach advantage of a sword? I have had TONS of trouble with this in the past and the only way I can counter it is to grab Marth and go to town. But, that defeats the purpose of playing Falcon for so long.

2) HOW do these pros that I watch make such ridiculous recoveries?! They are able to jump down off the screen, kick someone down, then do the standard triple-jump and grab the edge. Is there some key fundamental that I'm missing? I've seen it done with more than just Falcon. I think something went over my head.

Please, be gentle. I am not great at this game and don't claim to be. But I DO want to be better. :laugh:

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
For me, the key thing with Falcon that you need to utilize is his speed. That's just something other characters, like Link, simply can't compete with. A lot of the times I play, I like to juke my opponents into attacking prematurely or stupidly. There are lots of different things you can do to trick people into doing things that you want them to do. Running full speed at someone for a short distance, sprinting backwards to avoid their attack, then running back at them can work wonders. Short hopping in place, long jumping over their heads; there's tons of stuff that Falcon is able to do.

Another key thing you have to remember is to shield. While Falcon is primarily an offensive player, it's imperative that you shield when someone comes at you. That way, you can block their attack, grab out of your shield (press the A button while shielding), and toss them up into the air and unleash those aerial combos. This works against all enemies, but it's definitely important when you're fighting a ranged, sworded character like Link or Marth.

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
Well put. I actually started doing what you said at first earlier with the psyche-out moves. Dash in, roll out, dash over and shoulder block just to get them off guard to unleash a combo or two if I can manage to get one.

That's all well and good, I guess, but when it comes to close quarter combat on smaller levels where there's not a lot of dashing room, he seems so defenseless. That's the one thing I hate.

Also, any tips on recovery that I am missing? Like...something a casual player wouldn't generally know? (Like, for instance, being hit in midair after using your Up+B allows you to use another...tricks like that.)

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know what you mean about those smaller levels. Something that I've learned over the last few months of playing Falcon is to utilize his aerial neutral A attack, something that I NEVER used to use (Falcon or not). It's probably one of his more lengthy attacks, and if you short hop into one, it usually sets up for a nice combo.

The only recovery tip I can give you, unfortunately, only works in Melee, but I'll clue you in, regardless. The biggest tip I can give you for recovery is to use your Falcon Kick. I know that sounds sort of strange, but bare with me. The thing is, if you are all out of jumps, and have yet to use your Up B attack, when you use your Falcon Kick, it'll give you back your double jump! This isn't useful all the time of course, since the Falcon Kick sends you downward quite a ways, but if you are knocked out really far off the stage, and are high enough, it can be extremely helpful.

To test it out, first go to Final Destination. Walk up to one of the edges and use both of your jumps, followed by a Falcon Kick off of the edge. Then perform your newly "recovered" second jump, followed by that last boost from your Up B.

It's definitely a nifty trick, and it's a crying shame that it doesn't work in Brawl.

iharfor

Smash Journeyman
Captains Jabs are a must in close quarters. Grabs are good to. SH to Nair, knee, dair all can be done in close quarters. Also, try experimenting with his Tilts. See how and when they can be utilized, they are decently good.

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
Yeah, as is, all I can really do is do his grounded horizontal Down+B which is just a rocket boost outward. Whatever the case, it gets me out of the corner. =)

These tips are very good. It's good to hear from people better than me.

That being said, FEED ME MOAR! I MUST LEARN! I want to actually WIN with Falcon instead of just "do fairly well." I practice quite a bit, actually, but Level 9 computers can only help so much. Would playing with Gannondorf make me stronger with Falcon at all because of the timing and whatnot or the exact opposite?

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I guess that means you're playing Brawl, huh? Unfortunately, I have yet to play Brawl, so my knowledge of Falcon might not translate over into the new game. :p

CutMet

Smash Journeyman
2) HOW do these pros that I watch make such ridiculous recoveries?! They are able to jump down off the screen, kick someone down, then do the standard triple-jump and grab the edge. Is there some key fundamental that I'm missing? I've seen it done with more than just Falcon. I think something went over my head.

I didn't see this answered so I'll explain how to do it. when someone jumps down to edgeguard they usually only use their first jump that way when they recover they gave their second jump and their up-b. So try using only your first jump and keep your second jump for recovery.

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
I didn't see this answered so I'll explain how to do it. when someone jumps down to edgeguard they usually only use their first jump that way when they recover they gave their second jump and their up-b. So try using only your first jump and keep your second jump for recovery.
Gah, I guess I need to practice that, then, because try as I might, I fail at that every time. =\ heh, but we don't start out perfect, do we?

CutMet

Smash Journeyman
With practice I'm sure you'll get it, jumping off the edge to edgeguard seems a lot more important in Brawl so I suggest you experiment with how far you can go for edgeguards and such.

dori.

Smash Apprentice
don't jump off the edge to edgehog

walk off and then quickly tilt the joystick towards the stage

also sweetspot the ledge with raptor boost (-> B), if you get a kill doing that you can lol

don't be afraid to jump out and do an aerial off the stage.

in brawl it's really easy to move around during a short hop, so you can actually do your air moves whilst still moving backwards (learn to use c-stick for air moves).

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
And to clarify for all, I haven't played Brawl yet. And I've only played Melee off and on for a few months. I will keep all of this in mind. Hopefully I will be able to pull out a few victories between now and March 9.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Mathix who do you think you are coming in here tryin to call an Admin to lock a thread, when you yourself only have 2 posts and a join account in Feb of this year. Seriously.

@TC - He does have a point >.> lol. You just found the wrong character section is all. I'll be glad to point you in the right direction...

For C. Falcon (Melee) visit here: http://smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Here's CF's uber guide. When you get a long boring night's chance to read it, do so. It will make you more uber than you are now lol.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=53471

There's also a CF video compilation thread. View videos, take notes of the good ones, and think exactly what they are doing, how they are doing it, why they are doing it, and how can you impliment it yourself to improve your own game.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=101135

I reccomend GAWes for starters, then work your way to higher level players.

I've given you the basics on how to get started with your competitive career... now you only need to make it happen. Good luck. :)

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
LOL, GO ahead and quit if you want to, IMO the KNEE > most sword users and Mind games FTW

dori.

Smash Apprentice
oh, melee falcon?

if you want easy starter combo, raptor boost to knee

then when you can l cancel, stomp to knee

learn to L cancel. it's more important than wavedashing

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
Actually, there IS a reason this is in the Brawler forums. In fact, it was going to be the next point I brought up.

How many of his signature techniques actually transfer over into Brawl? (Sorry I didn't clarify this earlier...) Is it worth still trying to master him in Melee or does he differ greatly in the transition? i.e. speed, power, etc.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
All I've heard is the knee is much harder to plant in Brawl, along with a few other "annoyances" as C. Falcon fans put it. He's still as fast but I think move timing has changed, probably in light of the new fighters too.

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
That only makes sense, I guess. Keep him very similar without being identical. The pros I see playing him use him much better than I ever could. I just don't think that fast.

Hell I can't even seem to master the short-hop.

dori.

Smash Apprentice
Actually, there IS a reason this is in the Brawler forums. In fact, it was going to be the next point I brought up.

How many of his signature techniques actually transfer over into Brawl? (Sorry I didn't clarify this earlier...) Is it worth still trying to master him in Melee or does he differ greatly in the transition? i.e. speed, power, etc.
When I go to play Brawl, I played a lot of Falcon (since he's my main in Melee, after switching from Marth). He still has serious ground speed compared to the rest of the cast (second only to Sonic, natch) and he's still pretty strong.
It's hard to connect the sweetspot knee during a short hop, because by the time it comes out you'll be on the ground. The non-sweetspot (sourspot? lol) knee does a measly 3% :)

his aerials are still very fast, and that's the area in which you'll need the least adjustment. when you short hop the neutral air, you have to fast fall if you want both hits to connect, and his stomp is effective as a horizontal ko move off the edge.

you will have to adjust to his new dash mechanics because if you just tap the stick to dash, he travels very far, so it's a little difficult to space attacks.

but if you want to prepare for brawl style falcon, practice short hopping his air moves.

Formula1

Smash Apprentice
Well.... hm....
I myself am not a good Captain Falcon
But a freind of mine is pretty nasty with him

When your enemy stands still and your a bit away you can run, Shorthop and pull off a knee
-THat is a key move that is helpful alot

his neutral air is also very decent when used in short hops
But since you can't short hop....

Using the Up B up close is actually worth it
-Its pretty fast and blows your enemy away so you can have some time to plan your combo or a good raid

When approaching the running grab is probably a good call,
-I use the same for fox...
-Also you can slide in with a block then grab if you get enough momentum and time it right, this is good for swordsmen since they usually have enough range to attack you before you reach them.

his ducking melee has some good range and usually pops them up into the air which can lead into an uair or a fair

But really... making sure you can trick them into doing something dumb is good...
-Jumping around them, doing a couple ducking a's here and there to make them think your vulnerable.
-Getting them to jump for you bet being too fast or using a falcon kick while they are jumping is also a good thought (Never used it though so your gunna have to experiment with your mind games)

As for Brawl
-Knee o' Pawnage is out
-Mind games is... eh...
-But since you can do a dashing block he has plenty of defense
-And since his Up B is still nice you could be able to use that
-Hopefully Falcon will still be able to combo effectively... thats what he's all about...

dori.

Smash Apprentice
Good news to someone who just learned about that move a month ago and has yet to sit and actually try to master it.

Alright, now...to find some instruction on the short-hop... lol :)
practice tapping X or Y (you are using those to jump right?) as softly and as quickly as you can.

kind of like in Super Mario Bros. if you don't want Mario to do a full jump, just tap the button shortly

Well.... hm....
I myself am not a good Captain Falcon
But a freind of mine is pretty nasty with him

When your enemy stands still and your a bit away you can run, Shorthop and pull off a knee
-THat is a key move that is helpful alot

his neutral air is also very decent when used in short hops
But since you can't short hop....

Using the Up B up close is actually worth it
-Its pretty fast and blows your enemy away so you can have some time to plan your combo or a good raid

When approaching the running grab is probably a good call,
-I use the same for fox...
-Also you can slide in with a block then grab if you get enough momentum and time it right, this is good for swordsmen since they usually have enough range to attack you before you reach them.

his ducking melee has some good range and usually pops them up into the air which can lead into an uair or a fair

But really... making sure you can trick them into doing something dumb is good...
-Jumping around them, doing a couple ducking a's here and there to make them think your vulnerable.
-Getting them to jump for you bet being too fast or using a falcon kick while they are jumping is also a good thought (Never used it though so your gunna have to experiment with your mind games)
I can't agree at all with some of this stuff concerning Melee falcon.
I'll agree that short hop knee is amazing though.
However:
don't use the up B unless its out of your shield or you are recovering. if you miss you'll eat a combo.
if you run in and grab, you have to jump cancel it or your opponent will catch you in the lag and punish.
running into an opponent with your sheild up = bad news. an awake opponent will just grab you. falcon's approach should be with SHFFL neutral aerial (which can set up for a grab if you're fast enough, but thats pretty advanced) or up aerial.

down tilt has decent range but lags, and if your opponent crouch cancels, you get punished.

trick opponents with dash dancing (he has probably the best or 2nd best dash dance in melee) and mixing up your short hop aerials with empty short hops

Top Bottom