• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side Mains

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
In Smash 4 I main Lucina, and I have trouble against a couple characters. In addition to practicing the match ups I've decided to try and pick up a character or two to counter act the match ups I have trouble with in case I am in a sticky situation. I mainly have trouble playing against mario, zero suit samus, link, ness, and villager. What characters have favorable match ups with them and if you have tips for how to go against those characters as Lucina please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Raijinken

Smash Master
For Zamus, Mario, and Link, my main two picks are Marth and Shulk, but that's more because they're two of my better characters rather than for matchup potential. I'm not sure if the differences between Marth and Lucina would affect the matchups notably, but it could be worth a shot.

Against Ness and Villager, I enjoy running Captain Falcon. But yet again, he's a character I've been playing for fifteen years, so that could just be familiarity rather than matchup.

SonicSpeed240

Smash Rookie
Love maining Sonic, for side mains I love using Ike, Fox, and Pika.
1.)Sonic<33
2.)Ike
3.)Fox/Pika
I wanna hear your guys replies! Who are your top three characters?? Also, who do you guys think the best character in the game is too date??

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman
Mains: :4shulk::4kirby::4lucario::4megaman::rosalina:
Secondary/Counterpicks: :4rob::4palutena::4jigglypuff::4ganondorf:

In general I usually switch to R.O.B. or Palutena against campers (Link, DHD, Ness, etc)

Honestly Lucina does well against most of those characters in my experience, against Link and Ness though having a secondary might be helpful

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Mains: :4shulk::4robinf:(:4marth:/:4lucina:):4luigi:
Secondaries/Counterpicks: :4megaman::4mario::4littlemac:(:4darkpit:/:4pit:):4sonic:

In order from my most practiced to least practiced in Sm4sh.

Last edited:

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Main :4robinm::4robinf:
Secondaries:4sheik::4megaman::4metaknight::4villager::4jigglypuff:
Used to mostly main Sheik, found Robin more interesting and still use Sheik for certain matchups.

D

Deleted member 269706

I would recommend trying out a heavier character like Ike, D3, or Bowser. The thing about these characters is, people aren't quite as used to playing against them as they are used to playing against the faster characters like Shiek or ZSS. Plus, they are way more heavy hitting, so the amount of damage done per hit is probably a lot higher than what you're used to, and playing as a heavier character will help you understand that character better, so when you go to face them, you'll know more about how the character works and how to best them.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Main Train (choo choo): :rosalina::4shulk::4pit::4darkpit::4rob:

Secondaries: :4sonic::4lucina::4megaman::4zelda::4peach: (:4palutena::4robinm::4robinf: working on bringing these two/three? up to the Main Train)

Might pick up :4myfriends:as a Secondary too. We'll see.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Mains: :4shulk::4megaman::4robinf:

Secondaries: :4peach::4lucina::4palutena::4pikachu::4ness:

I've recently messed with Pikachu and fell in love. I used Peach a lot in Brawl and started using her again in this installment.

ItsBearTime

Smash Rookie
Way to not read the OP everyone.

Anyways, as an avid Ness player, the characters that give me the most trouble are speedy rushdown characters. Characters like Sheik, Diddy Kong, and ZSS would be good choices (I'm no Villager or Link expert, but these characters seem like they'd beat them handily as well (plus they're pretty much considered to be top tiers anyways, so that's cool)) .

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
The best sidemain you could do would be a fast rushdown since that does well against Link, Ness, Villager, and even against Mario. :4sonic:,:4greninja:,:4diddy:, and :4zss: all would work well.

A heavy wouldn't be terrible either if you would perfer that over a rushdown, although ZSS would be a big problem.

SonicSpeed240

Smash Rookie
In Smash 4 I main Lucina, and I have trouble against a couple characters. In addition to practicing the match ups I've decided to try and pick up a character or two to counter act the match ups I have trouble with in case I am in a sticky situation. I mainly have trouble playing against mario, zero suit samus, link, ness, and villager. What characters have favorable match ups with them and if you have tips for how to go against those characters as Lucina please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Honestly i main Sonic and all of those characters you're telling me that you struggled with are pretty easy match ups for me. if anything try him or ZSS cuz ZSS is a more powerful/ reliable Sonic IMO. if you decide to go the other route of a Heavy character, I recommend either Ike or Bowser. Best of luck!!

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
Honestly i main Sonic and all of those characters you're telling me that you struggled with are pretty easy match ups for me. if anything try him or ZSS cuz ZSS is a more powerful/ reliable Sonic IMO. if you decide to go the other route of a Heavy character, I recommend either Ike or Bowser. Best of luck!!
Okay , I got a few other suggestions as well so I am going to test Fox and ZSS, which ever one works better with my other characters and in match ups I'll choose. Thank you for the help!

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Main: :4mario:

Secondary: :4shulk:

Mario can play against everyone you listed fairly well while Shulk isn't too great when he's getting rushed down by characters like Mario if he doesn't have control. With Lucina, the match ups can be hell so try to counter pick stages that you find beneficial to Lucina or not beneficial to those characters.

Last edited:

SilverOne777

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverSlaughter
Main: :4samus:

Sides: :4falcon::4link::4megaman::rosalina:

Though I want to practice my Ness, Yoshi, ZSS, and Pitt some more....Especially Yoshi, I've seen some players use him to very great effect.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Main: :rosalina:

Sides: :4myfriends::4lucina::4robinm::4robinf::4marth:

Rosalina is my favorite character out of pretty much any video game but I'm such a Fire Emblem fan that I learn to play as all of them in every single smash game. I also have a pocket :4falcon: cause memes.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Mains: :4fox::4falco:
Seconds: :4lucina::4robinm::4metaknight::4dk:

I find it interesting that most Fox mains don't also use Falco (or vice-versa). They're still similar enough to me that I can use them with more or less the same play style. DK was a character that I picked in an online doubles match as a joke, but then proceeded to tear the floor with the opposing team.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
For the characters, you're having trouble with, I'd suggest :4fox:/:4falco:. Projectiles are a huge part of your opponent's game, so a reflector would be a huge disruption to their strategy.

_gold_

Smash Master
I can't speak for some, but I main ZSS. I find Kirby's, Pikachu's and Olimar's pretty difficult.

Crash40

Smash Rookie
My main is :4charizard:, cause I just LOVE the way he plays(AND He's my favorite Pokemon)! But as far as secondaries go, I just pick whoever I'm hyped for... I'm an avid gamer and I play lots of Nintendo games.

I played :4greninja: cause I got a competitive :4greninja: in Pokemon Y, then I was trying out :4shulk: cause I've been on my 2nd playthough of Xenoblade, then I'm playing(and staying) with :4pit: cause I played and LOVED Kid Icarus Uprising! There is just NOTHING like playing a character you're personally familiar with! <3

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
My main and my secondary: :4greninja::4sonic:
Sidekicks: :4megaman::4duckhunt::4pacman::4shulk::4palutena::4robinf::4pit:
Just for Fun, wouldn't use them in a tournament::4bowserjr::4charizard::4bowser::4yoshi::4lucina::4ness::4marth::4littlemac::4falco:

I would also throw :4pikachu: up there in Sidekick characters, since I own an amiibo of him and he's my favorite/strongest one right now (the only one I'd enter in an amiibo tournament), but I don't play enough of Pikachu myself. Maybe I will!

And also, my personal archenemies (characters I hate fighting): :4wario2::4samus::4diddy::4villager::4sheik::4wiifit::4zss::4falcon::4rob::4ganondorf:

Last edited:

-Yasuo

Smash Rookie
NNID
AYoshiEgg
I mainly have trouble playing against mario, zero suit samus, link, ness, and villager.
i have trouble against all of those characters as well except villager. ZSS doesnt seem to have many weaknesses she seems really strong in all aspects. against mario make sure u air dodge if he throws u off the ledge cuz his Fair will spike the **** out of you. for village you really have to get past his projectiles, get in his face and make him fight u straight up. Link is a ***** and i dont know what to do against him yet his projectiles are good and so is his short range and aerial game.

SonicSpeed240

Smash Rookie
Okay , I got a few other suggestions as well so I am going to test Fox and ZSS, which ever one works better with my other characters and in match ups I'll choose. Thank you for the help!
Anytime! also Fox is very rewarding when learned as well so good luck to you c:.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Main: :4fox:
Secondaries: :4tlink::4greninja::4falco::4pit:

Fox is just a fun character to learn, though against certain matchups I just shrug loudly, so using Toon Link in Sm4sh like in Brawl was defo a good idea when you have to deal with campers.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Main: :rosalina:
Her back-ups: :4megaman:,:4link:,:4myfriends:,:4lucina: (they all have Rosie's back)
Secondary mains: :4falcon:,:4ganondorf:,:4littlemac:,:4shulk:,:4zelda:

The main reason I consider Rosalina as my true main is because I absolutely love the way she looks but her in-depth story and personality would be the turning point of why I adore her a whole lot.
Plus I'm also thinking about adding :4falco: and maybe :4zss: to my list of secondaries but who knows.

Last edited:

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
Main - :4zelda:
Side Main - :4kirby:
Almost Side Mains - :4duckhunt::4palutena::4rob::4wiifit:
When I'm playing :4zelda:, my favorite match ups are :4lucina:or :4marth:. I just always seem to have great/close matches against players who main them.
When I'm playing as :4kirby:, I like playing against...well, pretty much anyone. Having a variety of powers to steal keeps things interesting.

Can't speak just yet on my Almost Mains...still practicing with them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom