• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side B to grab ledge from stage?

Quetzal

Smash Rookie
After discovering that side-b can grab the ledge from the stage, I've been using it to ledgehog with pretty decent results. It guarantees the grab, because I sometimes mess up the backwards shorthop and whatnot. Is there any major cons to this other than if an enemy grabs first that you are forced into freefall?

Bazkip

Smash Master
You can also wavedash backwards off the side to grab it, which is faster than simply shorthopping backwards and I believe is also faster than Side B off the side. So if you've got the leisure of time, Side B is fine as it's easy, but if they're a bit closer and you're worried they might end up grabbing the ledge first, wavedashing off is probably a better option.

Also, Side B to grab the ledge only works with two characters, while wavedashing off works for everyone, so it's something that you should be able to consistently perform.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Beside death on failure (that is already a pretty big con), side B moves slowly so the opponent can react to it and use his up B earlier. If it's a character like Marth the hitbox of up B will hit you before you can get to the ledge, making their recovery safe.

Strawhat Jiggs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Evolzar89
Ya wave dash backwards to grab ledge is a much better and safer option than side-b unless you are crappy at wave dashing ..... in that case practice wave dashing and in the mean time side-b to your hearts content.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Wavelanding might be an even better option sometimes, as it covers more ground than his normal wavedash. You should look into it.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I'm thinking there may be invincibility frame problems that you may grab it too soon and lose the frames by the time they get to the ledge, but don't hold me to that

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
That's not a problem, you just initiate your ledge attack, and it gives you invincibility frames long enough to block their recovery

MerzA

Smash Cadet
Dash attack the ledge and point towards the stage and Ganon will fall off and grab the ledge. It takes a little while as the entire dash attack animation has to complete, but it's a really easy way of snagging it.

Top Bottom