• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side B Tech Chase

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
I haven't seen this strat posted here or anywhere so just in case I'm literally the only one that does this, I wanna share this with you fine people.

So basically around mid peecentish (20%-80%) you can back throw or forward throw and usually connect with a charged QD if they don't tech. It works best with back throw just because it is much harder to tech. Some times people will be able to get away if they roll back but usually the edge of the stage cuts it short. It can even KO some light characters near the ledge if you do it at the right percent.

I just wanted to let you guys on on this since I don't think a lot of people do this. I have yet to meet a person that doesn't look like a deer in headlights when I pull this MLG strat on 'em, as simple as it is :) . Let me know if you do this or how you set this particular thing up.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
With QD, you can get it to hit 90% of the time for less damage, or use other options for better reward. It depends.

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
With QD, you can get it to hit 90% of the time for less damage, or use other options for better reward. It depends.
Yea I just really think it's a reliable option early on and when you get to kill range you can try to read the roll for an up smash.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Only time I've used QD for a tech chase is when I'm airborne, as it a quick way to close the gap when you are jumping the wrong way. If I miss the hit (always happens if they are on the ground and retreating with a roll, but if they were in the air using airdodge and a second jump to get some space from me than this becomes less a possibility), I'll be able to use the auto-cancel to move into any attack I'd like on my target during his ending lag.

At higher levels, most people will be able to either tech the landing or have better control to make sure you won't be able to get a charged QD on them (hell, I have a harder time chasing them down with Dash Attack half the time since they have 7 options available for their recovery from the ground and our Dash attack range isn't godly enough where we can just perform it absent-mindedly). Dash Attack is far more reliable in most situations. I can see QD being useful against an opponent who constantly uses a getup attack, since you can delay the release until after their hitboxes are done. I'd prefer to dash grab their getup myself, but if they are out of range QD would be useful.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Only time I've used QD for a tech chase is when I'm airborne, as it a quick way to close the gap when you are jumping the wrong way. If I miss the hit (always happens if they are on the ground and retreating with a roll, but if they were in the air using airdodge and a second jump to get some space from me than this becomes less a possibility), I'll be able to use the auto-cancel to move into any attack I'd like on my target during his ending lag.

At higher levels, most people will be able to either tech the landing or have better control to make sure you won't be able to get a charged QD on them (hell, I have a harder time chasing them down with Dash Attack half the time since they have 7 options available for their recovery from the ground and our Dash attack range isn't godly enough where we can just perform it absent-mindedly). Dash Attack is far more reliable in most situations. I can see QD being useful against an opponent who constantly uses a getup attack, since you can delay the release until after their hitboxes are done. I'd prefer to dash grab their getup myself, but if they are out of range QD would be useful.
All of this. I tend to only use quick draw for tech chase punishes if I know the QD isn't going to "activate." So typically I go for the auto-cancel.

If they tech in place, tech away, or miss the tech, you can cover it with something very rewarding. But I think in any case you can use it to hunt them down for a grab, jab, or dash attack during the tech chase.

Top Bottom