• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side-b spike

momomomomomomomo

Smash Rookie
Been messing around with using side-b (third hit down) to spike, it seems relatively effective vs CPU's. Wanted to know if it was worth my time perfecting it, I can't see myself being the first person to think of it, so the fact I don't see it used much is a bit of a red flag.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
its just really situational. since xxV (third hit down) doesnt really have great coverage, requires you to be at the edge, and can be pretty easily DIed out of, it doesnt pop up all that much outside of starting tech chases on stage. even roys xx^ which has far superior coverage and provides a meteor effect is still incredibly situational and usually easily avoided/teched against the ledge. nonetheless, i still get them off time to time, so it has its uses, just very situationally.

momomomomomomomo

Smash Rookie
Yea I never use it onstage, only at the edge or sometimes offstage for quick KO's. Any potential to using it offstage? Or are there just outright better options all around and I'm just cheesing CPU's?

Thor

Smash Champion
Yea I never use it onstage, only at the edge or sometimes offstage for quick KO's. Any potential to using it offstage? Or are there just outright better options all around and I'm just cheesing CPU's?
Outright better options.

This is a meteor, not a spike, so they can meteor cancel it. Marth's dair doesn't have the same problems. Ledgedrop double jump dair [can land onstage or just up+B after the dair] is thus almost always better.

You could also use reverse dolphin slash or just drop from the ledge double jump bair and then up+b to regrab ledge and continue edgeguarding as needed.

It's the most stylish option though, so I go for it disproportionately often given its actual utility when I'm ahead.

Onstage I have gotten it to link to tipper usmash for a KO - horrendously impractical [it's DI-dependent and obviously very percent sensitive], but also [arguably] the most stylish option Marth has.

momomomomomomomo

Smash Rookie
Yea I kinda figured that was the case when I made this thread, I just wanted there to be something to it I guess.

Top Bottom