• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side-B Speed?

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed that Ike's Side-B speed varies by how charged the special attack is (it increases both distance and speed)
Why is this? It makes timing it a lot harder at higher distances.

Also Side-B appreciation thread

metroid1117

Smash Master
I've noticed that Ike's Side-B speed varies by how charged the special attack is (it increases both distance and speed)
Why is this? It makes timing it a lot harder at higher distances.

Also Side-B appreciation thread
If speed didn't increase with charge time, then it'd be a really easy to edgeguard it.

QD is still awesome. QD turnaround -> BAir is too fun.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
If speed didn't increase with charge time, then it'd be a really easy to edgeguard it..
Good Ike players would use the a "stable" speed to aim the QD accurately to a wall jump in order to recover, most stages have some relatively safe places below the edge where Ike could wall jump and instantly use up-B.

The current side-B might increase Ike's to return to the stage by solely using THAT skill, but decreases accuracy to hit with it.

A stable version of it might force players to think more about how to recover safely now that they have a fully reliable way to aim it and turn it into wall jumps, it would also increase accuracy on stage to land those tricky QD -> JC grabs.

So other than recovery issues, what stops this from being tweaked?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
The "difficulty from speed" is a tradeoff that comes with the increased amount that you move with it. Sorry, it's not going to change.

If you want to hit somebody while moving slower with it, get closer to them.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Yeah Metroid, good Ike players want a stable version of side-b.

Bad Ike players would just learn the timing. Can't have that.

Get on it!

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
If Side B was stable, the 1HKO would be a lot easier to hit with

Ike is already seen as a n00b cannon, I'd hate to see him get dumbed down

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
Honestly it's nice to have the speed difference as a change up. I like doing a wd almost immediately out of an uncharged qd a couple times so your opponent gets a sense of the speed then charge it a bit and unleash! also qd>instant wd baiting is great for getting in qd>bairs and jump cancel up smashes out of qd

Top Bottom