• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side B Questions

Osmosis124

Smash Cadet
I don't have trouble performing the moves but I don't know which direction does what except for the turn around.

For example, which direction does the meteor smash when the guy you hit is in the air? Is it on the second or third swing?

If I get a grounded SideB what would be the right sequence to get all 4 swings and get them off stage?

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Experimentation, bruh. The most powerful swings occur on the 3rd and 4th swings. I'm pretty sure the meteor occurs on the default 3rd swing.
Pretty much any variation will get them off the stage, but if you mean horizontally, you could probably do a standard side b and then down for the 4th move (he sticks the flaming sword out diagonally downward) which should launch them off the stage if it lands. If you default for the 4th move I find that to be a very effective kill move if it lands.
But just experiment with the effects of all the different directions together and you'll find what works and what does what and what doesn't work.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
First swing is always the same. Really solid in the neutral game as an anti-air move. I love using this as a mixup between dashdance grabbing and dashdance Dtilt approachs

Second swing has 2 variations: forward and up. Foward- less favorable but not bad. Up- has a hitbox that covers higher, a little more favorable.

Third swing has 3 variations: Up/forward/down. Up- does a downward slash and knocks them down into a techchase if they hit the ground or if they're in the air it's a meteor smash. Forward- semi finisher and forward knockback. Down- for strong downward angled knockback in sweetspot and good for when near the edge (i've netted a lot of kills that they didnt expect from this variation. Its really good in the mid percent if someone's trying to CC your downtilts their DI will be downward giving you a kill if you're close enough to the edge).

Fourth swing has 4 variations: Up/forward/down/behind. Up- slashes upward and lifts them up into the air (not that many uses in most cases). Forward- distance leap forward and can be used as a kill move, pretty solid move and covers a large hitbox. Down- similar animation to downward 3rd hit variation but stays out for a 'burning' animation. This move soley for added shield damage or a mix up for lower shield stab. Behind- obviously this one switches directions for techchasing rolls behind you or if they techroll behind you.

Last edited:

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
First swing is always the same. Really solid in the neutral game as an anti-air move. I love using this as a mixup between dashdance grabbing and dashdance Dtilt approachs

Second swing has 2 variations: forward and up. Foward- less favorable but not bad. Up- has a hitbox that covers higher, a little more favorable.

Third swing has 3 variations: Up/forward/down. Up- does a downward slash and knocks them down into a techchase if they hit the ground or if they're in the air it's a meteor smash. Forward- semi finisher and forward knockback. Down- for strong downward angled knockback in sweetspot and good for when near the edge (i've netted a lot of kills that they didnt expect from this variation).

Fourth swing has 4 variations: Up/forward/down/behind. Up- slashes upward and lifts them up into the air (not that many uses in most cases). Forward- distance leap forward and can be used as a kill move, pretty solid move and covers a large hitbox. Down- similar animation to downward 3rd hit variation but stays out for a 'burning' animation. This move soley for added shield damage or a mix up for lower shield stab. Behind- obviously this one switches directions for techchasing rolls behind you or if they techroll behind you.
This.
I didn't think to use the first swing as an anti-air, I'll have to try that, and the downslash techchase.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
The variations are pretty important if you wanna expand your Roy game. It's surprising how many roy's ive seen just never use anything other than x>>> spam. xxv is so underrated (notation for third hit variation downward) I play against a lot of falcons and falco's on netplay and it always throws them off. It shoots them at a hard downward angle and usually gimps them or puts me in a really good spot to grab the ledge.

Last edited:

YaBoy

Smash Cadet
You can also cancel the 3rd swing foward at any time in its swing to get the 4th swing out faster, its a little awkward to get used to because it changes your timing, but super useful if you get it down. You can also use the first swing in the air to **** with spacing in certain match ups becuase of the stall. Its probably more useful with Marth, but im sure it can still be used to mess with aproaches. I also think that the first swing is his strongest (if not only?) option for jab resets. Also yeah, XX> is probably the worst of the possible combinations (though its by no means bad). Since you can cancel the third foward, I pretty much always use XXV or xx>(canceled)> when im trying to kill. 3down has a weaker knockback, but the angle is so much stronger for fast fallers, and since (in my experience) floaties can smash DI out of DED pretty easy, its the only time you should be using it to kill.

as for the 4th swings, up is really only useful when they DI so that the third swing puts them like *on* roy or above him, since the hitbox is the closest to him, 4th foward is a kill move, i usually pound it out of a third foward cancel since the hit box covers more, and the 4th down is super useful for sheild damage, since it has lots oh hits and its hitbox points down, so it can poke really well.

generally speaking, just mix it up constantly. Roy has so many good optios with ded and its important to not rely on only one of them, as they're all fairly punishable given your opponent knows how to react to it.

Top Bottom