• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side B Jab?

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this is a real thing since I've only tested it on CPUs, but I had the idea to use side B as a jab reset upon an opponent that misses their tech, in order to set up a regrab.

For Example, Fthrow->chase->side b->regrab->dthrow->fsmash works A LOT vs my roommates and CPUs, because they DI for the fthrow and eat tipper. Does using side B to reset for another grab in this fashion actually work against anyone good?

waygu

Smash Lord
idk if its high level but i do it too on wifi matches. its a good mix up, single slash is okay but i go for the 2 side slash, gives them a chance to DI and follow up, fall off plat or open me up for up-b sweet spot

and i realized sethlon does it all the time as roy, i think as long as you're safe its legit

Last edited:

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I was watching some old Ken sets and he uses side b to set up into a grab, and then continues to hit 2/3 depending on % as a mixup. Ken is such a clever dude, I swear. My roomies are über salty right now. They swear Marth got buffed in 3.5 lmao

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
It is safer than dash attack to approach and leads to a lot of different things if you do it right. Grab is one, but you can also dtilt if you hit them with the tip, and you can jump at them with an aerial if they are a character with laggy moves.

Retrolistic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3282-2606-7561
I feel there are a lot of better options than to side B as a jab. I for one, used to do side B jabs to regrabs but felt it had too much end lag if just used as a jab. I also found that in high level play against people in tourney, I was getting punished for it quite a bit just cause of it's lag.
For example, I would do exactly that, Fthrow->Side B Jab. But if they shield it on time or dodge then you could get punished bad like shieldgrabs and such. I think it's still an "okay" mix up if they aren't expecting it, but I wouldn't use it much.

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I definitely can see how once people see it coming, it's not very great. It's avoidable, but if you space it right you can be safe against most characters. I find it works best on someone already in a combo, since they're kind of on their heels.

Preacher

Smash Cadet
I find it works best on heavies at low percents because it barely pops the opponent into the air, but light characters are thrown higher up and can DI out of a grab attempt at mid %s. Depending on the percent it can lead into a grab or a forward smash so its good to set up kills on floaties, but you should probably just opt for neutral a or a tech chase.

Kuya the Red

Smash Cadet
The problem is not that it wont work. its just that it's a sub par punish. its a fun mix up, but professionals would rather read the tech or punish the lack of tech with an Fsmash or Dtilt into tech chase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom