• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk vs R.O.B. matchup (R.O.B. is a mechon sooooo...)

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
You're not feeling it! Jokes aside, ROB is a pain due long range + damn jet packs. Foresee what your enemy strategy is, and use the according MA, be it speed for a more grounded approach, or them jump for aerial fights. I personally dislike Smash, as it's easier for ROB to hit you half-screen with lazors than for you to reach him and hit it properly.

Don't have experience enough against this match-up, as I hardly see any ROB online.

Grexin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Grexin
3DS FC
0404-8856-1751
I find R.O.B. really hard to beat as Shulk. Any tips?
ROB's Main game is spacing and as he has annoying projectiles which is hard for Shulk a main way is to get in ROB's face based on the player and have good mind games, the Monado Arts you should use in this matchup is mainly Jump and Speed depending on the player and try to get them as uncomfortable as possible with these arts and you should be able to see that ROB will go defensive and from there its basically pressure , mind games and reads but mainly you want to avoid being defensive as ROB has many ways to destroy you from then be aggressive, the moves I recommend you using are dtilt , fair , bair , nair and dsmash but try to do dsmash as parts of your reads since it is VERY punishable and for kills try edgeguarding robs with jump patiently so ROB's recovery runs out and for ground kills mainly try to read and go for a smash. Hope this helps :)

Freikugel

Smash Rookie
ROB is a large character with a big hurtbox. This means he's susceptible to strings and spikes.

As with other projectile-heavy characters, pressure and mobility are vital for approaching. Apply Jump and Speed and rush ROB. It's also imperative to practice perfectshielding and prediction.

Space your attacks carefully to avoid being punished, as most damage aside from projectiles will come from d-throw into u-air. One of ROB's most reliable kill moves is his u-throw, too. For this reason I prefer Speed; you'll need that element of surprise (plus I don't have much control over Jump yet .-.).

ROB's d-air has a large hitbox, so it's generally safer to recover overhead with Jump.

Smash isn't as important in this MU. Since ROB's recovery is so versatile, Jump enables you to edgeguard more effectively. Whittling down ROB's fuel works best IMO, and n-air puts Shulk at little danger, has decent knockback, and its long animation makes air dodges ineffective.

Just... don't fast fall n-air offstage. I'm really stupid that way.

ROB can barely touch Shield Shulk, even at high percents. His horizontal throws do so little knockback you'll rarely have to switch to Jump, and the mitigated shield damage means you can tank his projectiles. U-throw has much less kill power too. If you play safely and conserve your stocks, you can easily live to 180's~200's.

It'd be more helpful if you listed specific issues you've been having, though.

Trisongs

Smash Apprentice
Be careful when using the shield power up as a a rob player I like to use this opportunity to down grab shulk and follow it up with a up air attack(this can also be a threat at low %). Besides one of rob's strengths is his gyro. With that in mind just use your shield because it absorbs the attack as well as removes the gyro from play.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The Shulks that I have had the most problems with when using R.O.B. used a lot of Nairs and Fairs and used good spacing to abuse Shulks superior midrange game. Just pressure him and keep out of range of all his attacks but his projectiles.

Be careful when using the shield power up as a a rob player I like to use this opportunity to down grab shulk and follow it up with a up air attack(this can also be a threat at low %). Besides one of rob's strengths is his gyro. With that in mind just use your shield because it absorbs the attack as well as removes the gyro from play.
Removing the Gyro from play is sometimes a good thing for R.O.B. though, because R.O.B. can have only 1 Gyro and he often prefers to have it in his Down B then to have it spinning behind his opponent. Also with good timing you can easily steal his Gyro.

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
Alright I got to play with one of the best rob players in Mexico and here's what I gathered to help all of us Monado boys/gals <3.

Shield is useless at this mu. NEVER use shield

Though, it's fine to use it when 110 - 140 % but once you reach above that take out shield as soon as possible.
I don't recommend using
shield though.
(When Shulk is at 150+, R.O.B. can kill you with his down throw to uair when
shield is activated.)
So pretty much at 150+ you would want to avoid grabs because either way using
shield or don't will get you killed with R.O.B.'s up throw so that's a bummer :/
So preferably go for
buster, speed or vanilla. Shield just makes you slow and you will get killed with a grab anyways.

Bair is very good and asoos works a ton. Bair with mallc for better options! <3

Fast fall nair doesn't seem to work. But definitely asoos is perfect also forget about the spot dodge when R.O.B. throws his Gyro.
Perfect Shield R.O.B.'s gyro he is very vulnerable at that point you can go run towards him (though if he's very far you won't make it) or immediately bair him/ fair him ^^.
-So shield R.O.B's gyro and punish him!

Also, found out
jump is very useful here. Spacing with bair is very important as well!
After the grab throw to uair, land safely in the ledge and using jump totally helps to keep away! Jump away from R.O.B.

Even though, I've said battlefield is my worst stage, battlefield seemed very useful for shulk against R.O.B.
But watch out, he can take advantage of the platforms and kill you with his up-throw.

Oh... and crouching works too.. it lowers Shulk hurtbox. You can avoid some attacks and then punish with air slash.
The attack I less used was counter, I couldn't find a way to use it. Never got it xD Got always punished when trying it.

Approaching with jab works too.

Airslash is Shulk's bread and butter here, it prioritizes R.O.B.'s aerials, but don't use it often, you can get read! So mindgames here guys ;).

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
This thread definitely should have the word "mechon" somewhere in it :p

I come to report on a technique I figured out mid-match against a ROB on Smashladder. You know how ROBs leave that top spinning there on the ground? Fall onto that with dash vision. It was quite effective.

Top Bottom