• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk In Depth Guide Video

Despite my usual work dissecting Shulk, I actually learned a lot from this guide. Good job! :D

Last edited:

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
I love it. Thank you for taking the time to make a video like this. I request a sticky for this video, and would love to face you online.

- As a small aside, I wonder if this off-stage combo would have any application in Smash:
(Jump Art) N-Air -> D-Air -> Fast-Fall -> Foot-Stool Jump.

The timing is really tight and (and as far as I know) only works at specific percentages (usually around 45% - 60%), but this combo can chain together and effectively net a stock against characters with really good recovery (Namely the Kirby reps, Jigglypuff, Greninja, and the Uprising reps). And thanks to Jump's amazing aerial mobility, Shulk can easily make it back on stage after foot-stooling someone.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
This is incredible. I'm extremely happy that this video guide exists. It pretty much explains everything I've wondered about, and now I'm going to try and learn Shulk. Thank you so much!

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
This is incredible. I'm extremely happy that this video guide exists. It pretty much explains everything I've wondered about, and now I'm going to try and learn Shulk. Thank you so much!
You're welcome ma dude! Happy learning :)

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
It's pretty interesting that this guide explained some things I didn't know about Shulk, most notably that you can only string up to 2 UTilts in a row then follow up with an Air Slash. Other than that it's nice to know those who want to learn the wielder of the Monado have an extensive video guide among others to help them out.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Thank you for this! At the moment, my Shulk game relied mostly on hard reads and punishes. It's good to know he is capable of these kinds of follow ups (also, dat pivot grab). Hopefully I won't suck as much now :p

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I've been waiting for an analysis video like this since I picked up Shulk. Absolutely brilliant, I have no doubts that this'll help my feel for him. Clarified a lot as well as taught me some new things.

Love you Jerm. Keep up the good ****. <3

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Now this is what I call a guide! Up til now I'd been unwilling to try out Shulk, feeling a little overwhelmed by all the arts and their effects on each attack.

This guide now means I've no more excuses for not trying him out! :p Thanks Jerm for the awesome guide!

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Perhaps you are the True Heir to the Monado?

I just glimpsed a bit at the videos but when I get home, I'll thoroughly observe them. You're a legend, Jerm!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Wow, this is insane. Amazing job! Gonna have to try to remember this stuff while playing!

D

Deleted member

Totally watching this. You can never stop learning.

D

Deleted member

OH MY GOD.

A MOVE THAT MAKES BACK SLASH ACTUALLY HAVE A POINT! (if they don't DI or tech)

100/100 best guide.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
You cover pretty much everything - very nice guide. There are just a few things -

- I can't remember if you mentioned F-Smash tilted up does significantly more knockback. That's something good but not necessary to know.
- In Smash 3ds Up-Smash can be used while running by jump cancelling - basically input for a jump and very shortly after do the up smash

These are very minor issues though.
-The main things I need to work on is I need to go for pivot grabs more often and be less smash attack happy.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
My view entirely.

It's well presented.
I haven't finished it all, wonder if you went through F-throw-Jab in buster probably but I'll keep watching :)
F-throw>Jab with Buster? Tried it yesterday and it didn't work at 0% lol does it only work on certain characters?

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
You cover pretty much everything - very nice guide. There are just a few things -

- I can't remember if you mentioned F-Smash tilted up does significantly more knockback. That's something good but not necessary to know.
- In Smash 3ds Up-Smash can be used while running by jump cancelling - basically input for a jump and very shortly after do the up smash

These are very minor issues though.
-The main things I need to work on is I need to go for pivot grabs more often and be less smash attack happy.
Yea I just always found it very difficult to do a running USmash on the 3DS version compared to C stick on Wii U. Yess pivots are amazing when used properly, and Shulk's smashes have awesome reach and huge knockback but they do have some solid cooldown to compensate-gotta use them sparingly :p

I've been waiting for an analysis video like this since I picked up Shulk. Absolutely brilliant, I have no doubts that this'll help my feel for him. Clarified a lot as well as taught me some new things.

Love you Jerm. Keep up the good ****. <3
Whats up man!? O snap you're playing Shulk in SSB4? We gotta play sometime :p

Last edited:

Zacko

Smash Cadet
There's a minor error regarding the second counter, at 17:55.
"If you hold the control stick in the direction that Shulk is facing".
You have to hold the control stick towards your opponent, so if the opponent is behind you, you will hold the control stick in the opposite direction. You probably know this already just wanted to point it out :b:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
There's a minor error regarding the second counter, at 17:55.
"If you hold the control stick in the direction that Shulk is facing".
You have to hold the control stick towards your opponent, so if the opponent is behind you, you will hold the control stick in the opposite direction. You probably know this already just wanted to point it out :b:
Yea some guy pointed that out on the vid :p Gonna fix it real quick, thanks for letting me know tho!

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
I'm a bit surprised you don't have a section dedicated to his grab game and any potential followups to his four throws. Instead you sort of space out various tidbits like Bthrow can lead into backslash if your opponent screws up and fails to tech in the specials section and his pivot grab is better than his normal one in the actually you now what I can't find it.

I could swear you mention it, but I refuse to re-watch an over half hour video again just to find the minute or so you bring it up. Also it's very telling how horrendous BS is when the only "combo" anyone can come up with that might allow an actual back hit is not even 100% reliable as it banks on the opponent actively making a mistake for it to work at all.

So unless what you mentioned in the video was all one can use Shulk's throws for I'd love some elaboration on that. If I were in your position, I'd have made Shulk's grab game and pivoting options their own sections. Also if you ever make a 102 you ought to go in depth with his various custom moves.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I'm a bit surprised you don't have a section dedicated to his grab game and any potential followups to his four throws. Instead you sort of space out various tidbits like Bthrow can lead into backslash if your opponent screws up and fails to tech in the specials section and his pivot grab is better than his normal one in the actually you now what I can't find it.

I could swear you mention it, but I refuse to re-watch an over half hour video again just to find the minute or so you bring it up. Also it's very telling how horrendous BS is when the only "combo" anyone can come up with that might allow an actual back hit is not even 100% reliable as it banks on the opponent actively making a mistake for it to work at all.

So unless what you mentioned in the video was all one can use Shulk's throws for I'd love some elaboration on that. If I were in your position, I'd have made Shulk's grab game and pivoting options their own sections. Also if you ever make a 102 you ought to go in depth with his various custom wmoves.
I'm pretty sure he brings up U-throw to Utilt.

Shulk doesn't have many combos though - mostly good follow-ups.

Back Slash is usually only good in certain situations, like reaching a Link who is charging his bow from the air.

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
You missed my point. Instead of having a section dedicated to his grab game, he mentions it randomly in other sections like tilts and specials which unless you memorize exactly where in the video those are, it makes them difficult to find later if you want clarification.

It's why I mentioned that and pivots as both are shoved into other sections and you have to know in what sections they're mentioned ahead of time because they don't have their own. That's the downside of a video guide as opposed to a text-based one. You can't just search within the document or video in this case.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
F-throw>Jab with Buster? Tried it yesterday and it didn't work at 0% lol does it only work on certain characters?
Heavies and its not a true combo.
what happens is fthrow(probably better stale) to the jab 1 if the jab 1 doesnt connect you get jab 2.
Incomplete in the same vein of jab 1 to AS or jab 2> grabs

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945

So unless what you mentioned in the video was all one can use Shulk's throws for I'd love some elaboration on that. If I were in your position, I'd have made Shulk's grab game and pivoting options their own sections. Also if you ever make a 102 you ought to go in depth with his various custom moves.
I mention the pivot grab during the speed art section near the beginning. I had a section just for grabs but I cut it out due to the video being too long, him not having that many follow ups to begin with, and I do talk about it several times during the video itself so it seemed redundant. BS is a fantastic attack and works very well with back throw-especially if you are good at reading. I should have mentioned in the video but BS is also good for hitting people camping the ledge as well with a projectile like Link, DHD, etc, which is what @ erico9001 erico9001 9001 mentioned.

You missed my point. Instead of having a section dedicated to his grab game, he mentions it randomly in other sections like tilts and specials which unless you memorize exactly where in the video those are, it makes them difficult to find later if you want clarification.

It's why I mentioned that and pivots as both are shoved into other sections and you have to know in what sections they're mentioned ahead of time because they don't have their own. That's the downside of a video guide as opposed to a text-based one. You can't just search within the document or video in this case.
If you ever need help finding something just ask lol. I know where each little detail is in the video and can pinpoint whatever you need to find by just leaving a comment on the video or on here I guess :p Or I could just flat out type out what you need to know since it's in my brain as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I learned a lot from your guide and it is definitely useful in teaching me how I should play as Shulk. I actually needed something like your guides and combo videos to help me out in improving my Shulk.
Thank you so much!

tenshinoakuma

Smash Rookie
NNID
ninjaoctopii
3DS FC
3781-0389-6662
Thanks for taking the time to make such an awesome guide! I learned a ton watching all those videos.

Top Bottom