• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should we be worried about the other original characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
It seems that Yoshi, Ness, Luigi, Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff were the only original characters not shown in trailer. The last 4 are understandable considering they are always secret unlockables but Yoshi's absence in favor of Bowser and Pit was surprising. Should we be worried?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
It's because a guy at Capcom drew this picture and they wanted to put it on the website

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Doubt it. At the very least I feel that the rest of the original twelve and a few of the Melee characters are more or less shoe-ins.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I guess no one remembers this

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
That picture was drawn by the current Smash team. So it's automatically more official then the epic fanart from Capcom.
I'm just saying there is no doubt in my mind that the people in that picture will be in the game

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ah, I kinda forgot about that one. Definitely need to see what new tricks are up Luigi's sleeves.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yoshi is likely to be revealed based on his persona in his brand new games. Sakurai is likely waiting to reveal Yoshi until more info about said games is released, because there's a good chance his appearance and playstyle may be based on them.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Yeah, a lot of them seem to already be based on new games. We've been seeing new Pokemon, Mario 3D, DK, and Zelda along with Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus, so those alread look like those.

Also Yoshi wasn't confirmed for a while on the Dojo.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Yoshi is likely to be revealed based on his persona in his brand new games. Sakurai is likely waiting to reveal Yoshi until more info about said games is released, because there's a good chance his appearance and playstyle may be based on them.

That would make sense for Yoshi's exclusion from the trailer. They almost used everyone from the playable-from-the-start original roster. I'm honestly more worried about Ness and Jiggs considering they were supposed to be cut in the past.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
That would make sense for Yoshi's exclusion from the trailer. They almost used everyone from the playable-from-the-start original roster. I'm honestly more worried about Ness and Jiggs considering they were supposed to be cut in the past.

Ness, I wouldn't worry. Earthbound was the only western-released Mother game, it was a well-liked game even if it didn't sell well, and Ness is still considered the "original face" of Mother (even though Ninten came first) due to being its rep in the first Smash. He also has a unique moveset and a small but loyal following of dedicated mains. I don't think Sakurai will cut him, he's too iconic and popular. In addition, Brawl proved that Ness and Lucas could co-exist and fight completely differently other than similar specials and Final Smashes.

Jiggs is at more risk, I'll admit. Overshadowed by the more important Pikachu, the actual protagonist Pkmn Trainer, the popular and returning "villain" Mewtwo (who is almost certain due to his recent promotions), and the more popular Lucario and Zoroark, Jiggs' only real merits are its unique moveset and its longtime veteran status. Jiggs was hardly even represented in Brawl by many mains, and was unlocked really late, suggesting she was one of the last additions to the game (meaning Sakurai might have been hesitant). She's also lost nearly all of her relevance and popularity (originally based on the season one anime, which is long gone), since Smash Bros one. If anyone's getting cut from the originals, its definitely her.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Jiggs is at more risk, I'll admit. Overshadowed by the more important Pikachu, the actual protagonist Pkmn Trainer, the popular and returning "villain" Mewtwo (who is almost certain due to his recent promotions), and the more popular Lucario and Zoroark, Jiggs' only real merits are its unique moveset and its longtime veteran status. Jiggs was hardly even represented in Brawl by many mains, and was unlocked really late, suggesting she was one of the last additions to the game (meaning Sakurai might have been hesitant). She's also lost nearly all of her relevance and popularity (originally based on the season one anime, which is long gone), since Smash Bros one. If anyone's getting cut from the originals, its definitely her.
Although I don't like Jigglypuff all that much, (s)he is now one of the few confirmed fairy types and among the first three pokemon revealed to have had their types changed since generation 2 (magnemite/magneton gaining steel) along with gardevoir and marill, so there's some importance there...Jigglypuff might stay and have his/her moveset changed slightly to put the fairy type in the spotlight for awhile.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Brawl's trailer showed only primary characters from franchises, too, with the exception of newcomers.

People need to stop worrying about mass cuts. It isn't going to happen.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I honestly think there was minimal development in the game so far and they focused on the trailer characters. I think there is a lot more still to come. Nobody from Brawl is deconfirmed at this point.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I honestly think there was minimal development in the game so far and they focused on the trailer characters. I think there is a lot more still to come. Nobody from Brawl is deconfirmed at this point.
In the 3DS snapshot for Link, Toon Link is shown driving a train as an NPC...he's probably confirmed to be a goner...just like Young Link...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In the 3DS snapshot for Link, Toon Link is shown driving a train as an NPC...he's probably confirmed to be a goner...just like Young Link...

Sigh... how many times do I have to say this? We won't be certain that Toon Link is officially gone until we find out the full roster for ourselves.

The Toon Link in that stage is the one from Spirit Tracks. Not the one from Wind Waker. They are both completely different people. It's the same thing as Donkey Kong in the 75m Stage in Brawl. They are also both completely different apes and were both in the same game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I doubt honestly it.

But we'll see.

Even if he ends up being cut, I'll hack the game and put him in. (Like I did with Young Link in Brawl) :p

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sigh... how many times do I have to say this? We won't be certain that Toon Link is officially gone until we find out the full roster for ourselves.

The Toon Link in that stage is the one from Spirit Tracks. Not the one from Wind Waker. They are both completely different people. It's the same thing as Donkey Kong in the 75m Stage in Brawl. They are also both completely different apes and were both in the same game.
Very good point. The thing is, though, it is still a 'Toon' Link, and is similar enough to raise some eyebrows.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Very good point. The thing is, though, it is still a 'Toon' Link, and is similar enough to raise some eyebrows.

Well design wise, the one we see in the Spirit Train looks a bit on the blocky side like the DS games and he is wearing the conductors outfit. If Toon Link would be playable. He would certainly be wearing his regular Tunic (with maybe his Pajama as an alternate costume) not to mention looking more like how he does in Wind Waker than the DS games. He should differentiate just fine if you ask me.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I wouldn't worry about jigglypuff she might be low priority, but she's got to be one of the simplest characters to add. Not a lot of detail, a ball shape... I just don't see her being dropped. Seems easily like a last minute character again if she's not focused on before that.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
You don't need to worry. Yoshi, Ness, Luigi, Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff are not being cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom