• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should the number of characters be much more than Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jallis370

Smash Cadet
Looking at the amount of characters in the previous games there is a steady increase, with Super Smash on N64 starting at 12, Melee more than doubling it to 26, Brawl settling ona compfty 39. Should there be a similar increase in the new release, or is around 40 a good amount of fighters?

I usually would prefer a concise roster; ~40 wholly dissimilar characters is all I want or expect for this or future Smash games.

The problem with that is it's getting harder to keep a "concise" roster since every sequel picks up new characters like a Katamari ball and you end up having to break people's hearts by cutting a few from time to time.

I'm actually surprised how many new characters we have in SSB4 after all the interviews where Sakurai would say, "We've reached the feasible character limit with Brawl," or "the emphasis this time isn't on new characters," and especially "we're focusing on the distinctiveness of the characters."

I'm not complaining about having a lot of characters; I just think it's weird that the game's cast is turning out to be the opposite of what he talked about several times. (He also said a simple expansion of characters won't work and that the series needs some kind of change, but that also didn't happen.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

48 (or 51 if Miis are counted) is a perfectly fine number. That's a ridiculous number of characters already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom