• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Super Sonic be any Different?

Would you like Super Sonic to be able to have a moveset instead of only flight?

• Yes - Replace the old Smash with a new moveset.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
As I've played Brawl and Project M throughout the years, it's become pretty obvious that Sonic has one of the most devastating Final Smashes in the game, which makes sense considering how powerful Super Sonic is. Some have deemed it the "most overpowered final smash in the game", which can also make sense given the difficulty to use Sonic normally.

I'm pretty sure this idea, or something similar has been suggested before, but bear with me.

Anyway, I was wondering what you guys would think of Super Sonic this time becoming a transformation with a more powerful moveset (Basically like Wario Man). What would you think of being able to either overpower Sonic's moveset with better moves, or completely new moves exclusive to the transformation? Would you want to keep the old FS, or somehow incorporate the old and new into one? (Ex: Use moves on the ground, hold Jump button to fly freely across screen).

I personally wouldn't mind having either Smash, but it's just something I've been thinking about for a while.

I've set up a poll and will look forward to your opinions!

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
B>/B^/Bv- (Super Sonic Boost) Classic ramming attack similar to how Super Sonic already does damage except more linear. Can be angled.
B>- (Chaos Control) Shoots out a beam of light that goes a fairly long distance but has little knockback (25%) multihit
A- (Sonic Tornado) Moves around in a circular motion extremely fast while creating a hitbox that sucks enemy's in. (20%) Large vertical hitbox.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Keep it the same. Honestly if they remade it to be anything like SSF2's I wouldn't like it. Super Sonic should be crazy OP.

Nerf his flying. He rarely flies around in his games. Let him glide around on the ground really fast. Maybe give him his boost jump from Sonic 3 to double as a homing attack, though he doesn't really need it

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Nerf his flying. He rarely flies around in his games. Let him glide around on the ground really fast. Maybe give him his boost jump from Sonic 3 to double as a homing attack, though he doesn't really need it
In my opinion I don't think that'd be necessary. Sonic is very capable of flight in Super form, despite not showing it in every appearance.

Super Sonic flies in space in the Doomsday Zone in Sonic 3, Sonic Advance, Advance 2, Advance 3, Sonic Rush and Sonic Adventure 2.

He flies in a Space-time void in Generations and '06.

He flies inside the planet in Unleashed and Rush Adventure.

He also flies with Tails and Knuckles in the sky in Sonic Heroes. :p

In my ultimate opinion, I think they could actually leave the smash as it is, since Super Sonic is a form that absorbs the seven gems of infinite energy, he probably doesn't need to be brought down to Mario Finale level, as the power discrepancy is just too great. Does my opinion counter the point of this thread? No. I still want to hear you guys' opinions!

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be nice if they replaced it with the Werehog transformation. His movesets in Unleashed could easily be transformed over to Sonic's moveset as his FS and would make things more interesting rather than having to be Super Sonic and just flying around, tackling your opponents to death.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
Super Sonic is classic, I can't see them giving it up. Maybe making a few adjustments to it but not changing it altogether.

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
They need to lower the amount of time you are SS, it was wayyyy to long IMO

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
you right it should be changed it what should be is...

hyper sonic

seizures for all!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
you right it should be changed it should be
hyper sonic

seizures for all!!!!!!!
Wait. Final Smashes are triggered by pressing the special button. Custom movesets are on the special attacks. CUSTOM FINAL SMASHES CONFIRMED.

Nah. If that somehow did happen though, Hyper would be a cool (though more OP than Super) upgrade.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would prefer for Super Sonic to retain Sonic's movesets but be twice as fast, and... x10 times more powerful.

I don't quite like the flying around to ram opponents. If they're going to leave it at that, I preferred if he couldn't fly, like in the classic games.

In Sonic 2 he doesn't fly (main levels)
In Sonic 3K he doesn't fly (main levels)
In Sonic 4I and 4II he doesn't fly either (main levels)
In Sonic Advance 1 he doesn't fly either since he's affected by the gravity of the moon. (Final Level)
Adventure 1 he doesn't fly. He does hover over water, but then again, Super Sonic could also do that in 3K.
Generations. He doesn't fly (Main levels)

Sonic 3k has him flying in Doomsday Zone only, due to it taking place in space, when the Death Egg is no more.
Advance 2 has him flying in space.
Adventure 2 he flies cause he's in space.
Rush 1 he flies in space.
Generations, flies only in final level (when they're going through Time/Space)
Colors DS he flies in outer space.

Advance 3... He's flying among dimensions, so I don't know how to make it count.
Rush Adventure He flies but I don't know why.
Heroes. I guess the Super Power of Teamwork.
Unleashed. He flies in the final level which is inside Earth... But then again, there are chunks of the planet floating there too.

Twewy

Smash Lord
If they keep it, it needs a nerf. I feel it was so strong because they didn't have time to test it much and balance it, since Sonic was literally last-minute in production character-wise.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Modern Super Sonic does.
Touche.

If they keep it, it needs a nerf. I feel it was so strong because they didn't have time to test it much and balance it, since Sonic was literally last-minute in production character-wise.
Well, I always thought it was the balance to how bad he was at KOing.
But then again, it was still too powerful for his own good.
I mean, people outside the competitive scene still believe Sonic is the cheapest character in the roster, and with good reason.

Twewy

Smash Lord
That's not Ike. I mean, I see what you mean. But with some consideration to competitive play in Smash 4, perhaps the Super Sonic FS will get a slight nerf and maybe Sonic himself gets more power?

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
That's not Ike. I mean, I see what you mean. But with some consideration to competitive play in Smash 4, perhaps the Super Sonic FS will get a slight nerf and maybe Sonic himself gets more power?
If that's how it will turn out, it's a welcome change. Makes me wonder if some glitch in the code took some of normal Sonic's strength and gave it to Super by accident. I dunno, I'm not a programmer so I'm dumb about that stuff.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Anything less strong than the Brawl one would feel insulting to the concept of Super Sonic, they should make all of the FSs OP, not nerf the good ones.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I think the main problem people have with Super Sonic is that it's almost impossible to dodge, and has a lot of power to it, whereas other characters' can be avoided pretty easily.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Super Sonic is iconic, i don't see them replacing it. I mean, what could they use that would be more appropriate than Super Sonic?

Twewy

Smash Lord
DeviantART's probably filled with potential choices. Wisps, probably.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Here you go:

http://youtu.be/bocVx20fS_M

Confirms Super Sonic as Final Smash and confirms Shadow as an assist trophy. Shows new color palette and victory pose, amongst other things.

Video from Chibo at E3.

:093:

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
He looks relatively the same if not with slightly less knockback.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
According to ProJared, SS is actually harder to control. That and the purported knockback tweaks seem to help nerf SS.

Top Bottom