• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Prostitution be Legal?

Should Prostitution be Legal?

• Total voters

Cardboardtubeknight

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
4914-7294-5851
If its ever recognized as more than a crime, corruption, mass sexual exploitation and human trafficking allowing for legalization of the act
then it'll become a commercial enterprise. I couldn't see it lasting after that. The only way I see it working is if they started becoming affiliated with hotels. Although its not a business I'd get into.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
If its ever recognized as more than a crime, corruption, mass sexual exploitation and human trafficking allowing for legalization of the act
then it'll become a commercial enterprise.
I don't think it becoming a commercial enterprise would make it go away, or make it less profitable. In the same way other commercial enterprises are still profitable, so would prostitution. Also, it wouldn't entirely go away because there would still be a demand by the consumers.

Cardboardtubeknight

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
4914-7294-5851
I don't think it becoming a commercial enterprise would make it go away, or make it less profitable. In the same way other commercial enterprises are still profitable, so would prostitution. Also, it wouldn't entirely go away because there would still be a demand by the consumers.
Hey man, I like my fair share of chocolate, but I can only do so much.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
@Cardboardtubeknight : It certainly didn't turn out that way in Netherlands

It is already legal in a lot of countries, but in different ways. (see here, in green = legal, in blue = grey area, in red = illegal https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution#/media/File:Prostitution_laws_of_the_world.PNG)

This is a topic I always struggle to know what would be best. I am very unconfortable on the thought of prostitution, because I can't help thinking that most of those people are being enslaved in some way.

My main concern is how to reduce the amount of prostitution (at least the forced one, but I fell this is the vast majority) but I have no clue what is best for this prupose

I've never lived in a country where it was illegal, but I am skeptical : does it really decrease the amount of prostitution?
Last time I was in Amsterdam, I walked through the red district, it is a very strange feeling. I mean, it is kind of creepy, but in a way, it is much less creepy than seeing a line of vans on the side of the road so... I don't think forbidding it would be such a good move.

Punishing the client has been tried too, but I don't know if this really works.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
To me this is a pretty tricky one to answer.

I've always thought if the person wants to then they should be able to do so. It's their body and as long as they're consenting to it 100% then I don't see much of an issue; however, at the same time if it became legalized STD's will be more widespread. Everyone will be trying to get in on it if it were legalized, and more people will most likely try to seek it out since there will no longer be a punishment.

Unless it is done safely (which I doubt many would care about, and even then there's still a chance of getting something) STD's would become a bigger issue. You also have to consider the fact that prostitution isn't the safest thing. You are after all meeting random strangers and putting yourself in a vulnerable position. Now, there could be a way to make it much more safer if it became legalized. Perhaps have it limited to certain areas such as Strip Clubs maybe? That way not EVERYONE would be able to do whatever.

It would be in a limited area with security, and you wouldn't see everyone walking around town looking for a good time. Either way, it's honestly really hard to say as it opens up more issues. They would probably have to set up very specific laws and rules if it happens.

I'm also not really a prostitution expert, so what I can say is pretty limited on it's own.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm going to say absolutely not. I can see people coming into this thread screaming "BUT ITS THERE BODY!!!!!" and other worthless points without thinking of the consequences because thats just what people do in today's society.

STD's are already a pretty big deal. Allowing prostitution to be legal would most certainly spread the issue. You could theorize specific laws that would be made in the scenario but at the end of the day a business is a business. They care about money. Not their employees. Not their customers. Not the future of the world they live in.

They care about money. Not you. If the most attractive, highest sought prostitute has HIV are they going to stop her from making them money, regardless of spreading the deadly disease? Hell no.

Last edited:

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to say absolutely not. I can see people coming into this thread screaming "BUT ITS THERE BODY!!!!!" and other worthless points without thinking of the consequences because thats just what people do in today's society.

STD's are already a pretty big deal. Allowing prostitution to be legal would most certainly spread the issue. You could theorize specific laws that would be made in the scenario but at the end of the day a business is a business. They care about money. Not their employees. Not their customers. Not the future of the world they live in.

They care about money. Not you. If the most attractive, highest sought prostitute has HIV are they going to stop her from making them money, regardless of spreading the deadly disease? Hell no.
The only people at risk would be the prostitutes and the person payting them, both of which know the risks before hand

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
The only people at risk would be the prostitutes and the person payting them, both of which know the risks before hand
Yep. I realize this. You forget the people the buyer has sex with later though. What makes you so sure some scumbags will just not tell people they have STD's (this happens TODAY btw) from having sex with hookers. This will spread the disease.

You could say it happens already so it isn't a strong argument. Wrong. With prostitution becoming legal STD's would be spread to people who normally would never sleep with a prostitute because of its illegal nature. Hence more infected people and by extension an increase of spreading.

There is zero arguments you could give that would make legal prostitution sound like a good idea so don't bother quoting me.

The people who blindly scream for personal freedoms without thinking of the consequences shouldn't be allowed to argue.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
Yep. I realize this. You forget the people the buyer has sex with later though. What makes you so sure some scumbags will just not tell people they have STD's (this happens TODAY btw) from having sex with hookers. This will spread the disease.

You could say it happens already so it isn't a strong argument. Wrong. With prostitution becoming legal STD's would be spread to people who normally would never sleep with a prostitute because of its illegal nature. Hence more infected people and by extension an increase of spreading.

There is zero arguments you could give that would make legal prostitution sound like a good idea so don't bother quoting me.

The people who blindly scream for personal freedoms without thinking of the consequences shouldn't be allowed to argue.
Most STD's are curable anyways, or could be prevented with vaccines, and even the ones that aren't curable are treatable. It would bring in a lot of tax revenue, and save money trying to prevent it. There would be less sex crimes from consenting people, people are doing it regardless of what the law says, by making it legal we could reduce the risk in it as well, it would decrease the amount of human trafficking. You saying that we should make prostitution illegal for 2 consenting adults because std's would spread faster would be like saying that we should make it illegal to have sex at all if you aren't married because allowing sex before marriage causes std's to spread faster. Your forgetting that this is a victimless crime, sex can have positive effects so it could improve public health (if done safely). STD's are usually contracted from non-prostitution related sex since people are more likely to use condoms with a prostitute than they are with a partner. Keeping it illegal isn't stopping anyone so if it was it could be regulated, it would reduce gang violence **** (especially involving pimps), reduce the amount of sex slaves, and **** in general. Also, if women could decide this of their own free-will, it would probably reduce the amount of underaged prostitution, and since it would be legal people would be more likely to come forward if they have been victimized, it would encourage better and safer working conditions, and help people out of poverty

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
This is a topic I always struggle to know what would be best. I am very unconfortable on the thought of prostitution, because I can't help thinking that most of those people are being enslaved in some way.

My main concern is how to reduce the amount of prostitution (at least the forced one, but I fell this is the vast majority) but I have no clue what is best for this prupose
Legalizing it would help because prostitutes who are being victimized are more likely to come forward because they wouldn't have to fear getting in legal trouble for doing it, also, since it would be legal, it could be regulated whereas it can't if it is illegal

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
I think that the right way to go about this would be government-based, or at least, regulated brothels in which STD/STI testing is required for both consumer and provider before purchase.

I see a lot of you arguing against it saying it would only spread more STDs if they legalized it, but that wouldn't be the case if the law required sex workers and those who purchased to have testing done beforehand.

Saying legalizing prostitution will only spread STDs is like saying legalizing marijuana will only make more of it laced.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
I think that the right way to go about this would be government-based, or at least, regulated brothels in which STD/STI testing is required for both consumer and provider before purchase.

I see a lot of you arguing against it saying it would only spread more STDs if they legalized it, but that wouldn't be the case if the law required sex workers and those who purchased to have testing done beforehand.

Saying legalizing prostitution will only spread STDs is like saying legalizing marijuana will only make more of it laced.
Exactly what happens in the Netherlands.
STDs is really not the issue here.

For all those that say that legal = more STD, what makes you say that? It could be more controlled, and unprotected sex could be outlawed, with harsher penalties if that's really your main concern though it is quite easy to protect yourself in any case. The only person that is in no position to protect him/herself is usually the prostitute. The client? Well, he played, he lost

To me it is more about preventing sex slavery, and on this I'm not sure what is the most efficient, the market is quite huge in countries where it is legal. And I don't think most of the workers do that without psychological impact.

D

Deleted member 269706

Heh, yeah, yeah it should be legalized.

The fact of the matter is: people are going to have sex anyways. Legal or not.

Why should someone be punished for such an act? See that's what confuses me: if two (or more) consenting adults come to an agreement where one finds sexual pleasure, and the other profits from it, what did these individuals do that is worthy of punishment? Unless you count pre-marital sex as a sin (which most, if not all governments do not), these individuals' actions were not wrong no matter how you want to argue it.

What's so different about this scenario compared to a scenario where two friends decide to sleep together (without paying any money of course)? The only key difference is the money, and if there's one thing people should have control over, it's that. And yet, the friends have commit no crime. They will not be punished, but the prostitute and his/her client will if caught.

Don't get me wrong, if/when the legalization of prostitution is implemented there will need to be restrictions, there will need to be surveillance, and there will need to be precautions. But as I mentioned, in principle, there's inherently nothing wrong with the actions when you break it down. Of course, with all things the deeper you dig the more problems you'll encounter, but let's take it one step at a time.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
My position, as a libertarian, is that prostitution should be legal. Banning it creates a black market, and black markets are more violent. That violence requires a stronger police force and heavier enforcement, which leads to more violence.

I think everyone owns their own bodies and should do what they please with them so long as they don't violate the natural or civil rights of another person.

I think the solution, for those against prostitution, is cultural influence. Our first amendment secures your right to express yourself and your ideas to others. Use it to preach the good that you think comes with abstinence. That works much better than lobbying the state to pass laws reflecting your personal views. History shows that those laws don't work and only end up empowering opposition groups.

laurelpalooza

Smash Rookie
NNID
laurelpalooza
Prostitution should be legal to prevent others from profiting off of exploiting another's sexuality.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
There are people out there who are gonna have sex anyways, so why does it matter if it's legal or not?

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
To legalize it would actually consummate less profit which would probably make it go away altogether.
You aren't wrong. I dont think it would ever go away COMPLETELY, but it is likely the profit of it would decrease (and subsequently, interest).

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
I think so, it would protect prostitutes better than a pimp would and if it had health regulations we could avoid STD's and the such.

Top Bottom