• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon go solo?

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Just an interesting thing I thought of. Charizard is America's second most popular Pokémon (I think) and Squirtle would be cool by himself. Just give 'em a good down special. The only problem is that they take up roster spaces. Charizard would be the coolest, though.

Hong

The Strongest
They can be a team if:
  • They feel better designed
  • You switch to gain a benefit, not avoid a penalty
  • The game pre-loads them so they come out faster
As it was, Charizard and Squirtle (aka Diddy without banana peels) could have been more distinguished from the rest of the cast. Make them unique characters in term of gameplay function. Personally I rather have them concentrate on fewer, better-designed, more differentiated characters, but I am all for the return of a trio if they can do it right.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To be honest, I wouldn't feel right.
The switch gimmick is their thing. It needs to stay.
Switching at the appropiate time IS what makes PT fun to play for me.

To change Pokemon to adapt to my matchup is exactly what PT should represent.
Which is why they need to do away with force-switching, but especially, the fatigue system which is just a handicap.

If we want to have a new Down Special, then I preferred I was able to switch between Pokemon by using TAUNT buttons.
And other things to be considered:
-Switching while on AIR = good. Ash does it, why can't PT, an actual Pokemon Champion?
-Switch lag is too punishable it needs to be a bit faster.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
If they made a way to somehow not switch between the three of them, that would be awesome. You aren't forced to switch between Zelda and Sheik. On the other hand, you are forced to switch between Samus and Zero Suit.. which is awful. I hate playing with Smash balls when I pick her. I would love if you could pick there, too.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
If they made a way to somehow not switch between the three of them, that would be awesome. You aren't forced to switch between Zelda and Sheik. On the other hand, you are forced to switch between Samus and Zero Suit.. which is awful. I hate playing with Smash balls when I pick her. I would love if you could pick there, too.
What I was thinking along the lines of this was pressing a taunt and the Trainer saying, "You got this!" or something like that. Then you could use a down special for those Pokemans.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
As much as I'd prefer to just play as Ivysaur and not have to bear with Squirtle or Charizard (as the only person with this opinion on this planet) it'd be sad to split them up, currently he's the single most unique character in the game, splitting them up would make them just like ordinary characters. However, his uniqueness comes with consequences, the hardest part being balancing him properly. I'd get behind the idea of not being forced to switch whenever you're KO'd though, and remove the whole stamina gimmick too.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
At the very least stamina and forced switching should go. While I personally think they should be separated for better balance and having their own Down B's, having seen how great that is in P:M, there are people who like them with transformations. Even though I like to play all three of the Pokemon, even when they're all separated, I never find transforming useful, since one will always be best for that matchup and I'll always want to stick with one, especially with how ****ty and long transforming is, so I really don't understand why anyone wants such a forced and badly designed gimmick as having the three PT Pokemon linked, but somehow they do, so it's never going to change.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
As much as I'd prefer to just play as Ivysaur and not have to bear with Squirtle or Charizard (as the only person with this opinion on this planet) it'd be sad to split them up, currently he's the single most unique character in the game, splitting them up would make them just like ordinary characters. However, his uniqueness comes with consequences, the hardest part being balancing him properly. I'd get behind the idea of not being forced to switch whenever you're KO'd though, and remove the whole stamina gimmick too.
You're not alone on that one. I main PT, but Ivysaur is by far my favorite.

Anyway, as a Brawl Pokémon Trainer main, I'd be opposed to it. I know it's hard to balance, and that the stamina sucks. But the character is just so unique, and I like the idea of a Trainer controlling a team of Pokémon as a playable entity. It represents the actual gameplay and battle style featured in the Pokémon series perfectly. Another problem I'd have with separating them is that the three Kanto starters are iconic, but other than Charizard and perhaps Squirtle, I wouldn't say they deserve playability on their own merits. As a cohesive package, they're the perfect choices for a 3-in-1 character, representing the three starter lines from Kanto and the concept of type match-ups in general. All-in-all, I'd rather they actually attempt to balance out PT's weaknesses as he is (speed up the switching, get rid of stamina, even out the type weaknesses, make each mon more unique, etc), than simply take the cheap way out and separate them, breaking the novelty of the character and bequeathing an inordinate amount of roster slots to the Pokémon universe.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Anyway, as a Brawl Pokémon Trainer main, I'd be opposed to it. I know it's hard to balance, and that the stamina sucks. But the character is just so unique, and I like the idea of a Trainer controlling a team of Pokémon as a playable entity. It represents the actual gameplay and battle style featured in the Pokémon series perfectly. Another problem I'd have with separating them is that the three Kanto starters are iconic, but other than Charizard and perhaps Squirtle, I wouldn't say they deserve playability on their own merits. As a cohesive package, they're the perfect choices for a 3-in-1 character, representing the three starter lines from Kanto and the concept of type match-ups in general. All-in-all, I'd rather they actually attempt to balance out PT's weaknesses as he is (speed up the switching, get rid of stamina, even out the type weaknesses, make each mon more unique, etc), than simply take the cheap way out and separate them, breaking the novelty of the character and bequeathing an inordinate amount of roster slots to the Pokémon universe.
Gimmicks like that should only stick around for one game, though. It's not like Tekken Tag Tournament became a staple of the series. It's only seen two games and it's pretty dull after a while. I agree with losing stamina and no forced switching, and especially with aerial switching, though.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Unique=/=good. Get a new argument.

If they made PT competitive, I would be okay with him staying, but otherwise, I want the pokemon split or not in the game at all.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Split 'em up! It's not like people are going "Yay, I want to play <generic trainer of Pokemon>!", people are usually selecting him to play as a specific Pokemon. THEY are the characters, not him.

Balancing is enough of an issue already and these tag team characters just exponentiate the difficulties.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Split 'em up! It's not like people are going "Yay, I want to play <generic trainer of Pokemon>!", people are usually selecting him to play as a specific Pokemon. THEY are the characters, not him.

Balancing is enough of an issue already and these tag team characters just exponentiate the difficulties.

Dislike. :pt:

I play PT for all 3 of them. And for the switch mechanic.

I like showing off that I can handle 3 characters in the same matchup, and more than anything, I like the variety.
When I keep using the same moveset, I have a mental state version of Stale Moves.
But with PT, it's where this is NEVER a problem to me.

I rather keep them as low tier than separating them. Not to mention a SSB roster with so many Pokemon just won't look like a "Nintendo All Stars" game, but more like a "Mario vs Pokemon vs the rest" game. :(

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Dislike. :pt:

I play PT for all 3 of them. And for the switch mechanic.

I like showing off that I can handle 3 characters in the same matchup, and more than anything, I like the variety.
When I keep using the same moveset, I have a mental state version of Stale Moves.
But with PT, it's where this is NEVER a problem to me.

I rather keep them as low tier than separating them. Not to mention a SSB roster with so many Pokemon just won't look like a "Nintendo All Stars" game, but more like a "Mario vs Pokemon vs the rest" game. :(

All totally valid points. My point about the "Pokemon Trainer" not actually being the character you play is also valid, though. :)

Definitely true that the roster would look really heavily weighted towards Pokemon, though as is it's just masking that truth. If the game has this many Pokemon characters, it's a bit silly to try to pretend that it doesn't.

I wouldn't mind a mode where you could select different characters for different stocks, though! That could be pretty fun, kind of create your own Pokemon trio.
(I would probably just select random for all the stocks, play a different character for every life. That'd be a blast for my casual games.)

But... yeah. You aren't playing the "Pokemon Trainer". He's hardly a character in the actual Pokemon games and he's still not a character in Smash, just a way to slip in three characters who are worthy enough on their own merits and popularity.

Also, well, I just hate being forced through the PT cycle via deaths and the stamina mechanic, especially when the game couldn't even bother to preload the models... hrmph.

Top Bottom