• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I use the Dash-A (Jump Attack)?

Quillion

Smash Hero
As far as I know, Link's Jump Attack isn't quite as good of a roll punisher like other Dash-As since it's not a lingering attack, but Link's Spin Attack makes up for that.

But in this video, the Link player lands the finishing KO with the Jump Attack (linked to right time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=966piwSHn7w#t=159

It's a bit startup laggy, though. Is this a reliable move, or should I not even bother?

And if it is reliable, how do I set up?

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
Its one of those moves you use when you know its going to connect, its less risky than the Spin Attack though. I'll use it when I know where the opponent will roll.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I've gotten a lot out of the DA. My favorite set up at higher percentages is Bair followed by DA.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
The dash attack is an amazing move since it has a tipper effect. Is it laggy? Yes. Slow? Yes. Telegraphed? Yes. However, don't shun it because of that, just be smarter when you use it, like to tech chase or punish rolls. You need to know and use every attack Link has since everything is useful. Just be smart about using it.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
It's like Volcano Kick; just because it's slow doesn't mean it's useless. You can sometimes use it to jump over other characters projectiles and land killing blows with it. It's also good for punishing back-rolls.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Think of it as an extra smash attack in Link's arsenal. Would you use a smash attack against a guy with a bright blue shield around him? Would you use a smash attack against the air while your enemy watches?

I hope the answer is no. The Dash Attack is extremely good in my honest opinion but it's not meant to be used frequently (or not at all in some matches). It covers more ground than f-smash but doesn't quite kill as good, it seems. It's good for when your chasing down a guy who isnt quite in reach.

I would have preferred a quick dash attack that could allow good follow-ups though.

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Use it when you have to and when you have a clear opening on your opponent, otherwise I don't recommend using it often. While it's a powerful attack, it's laggy and predictable.

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
It's certainly not as versatile as his Brawl dash attack, but it does have its uses. Its range is good enough that it can be a decent option as a landing trap, or as a punish against people who're a little too fond of get-up attacks from the ledge. Try not to use it when your opponent is actually on stage, though. The thing about Link's Brawl dash attack was that it covered a lot of range and had quick startup, but slow recovery. Link's dash attack in Smash 4 has even more range, and a bit of kill power, but it has slow startup AND slow recovery. So, to reiterate, if your opponent is on stage and in neutral, don't use it. Don't even consider it an option. (Unless it's a team battle, but that's the only exception I'd make.)

Also, definitely don't use it as a roll punish. You'll have a sad time.

As others have said, use it sparingly, and only when you're confident that it'll hit. Try to keep it fresh, and refrain from using it until they're at kill %. This is one of those weird moves that'll serve you better the longer you conceal it under your sleeve.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
One of the other problems with it is people expect it now so they want you to try to use it on them.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Which would be... when? It sounds like there isn't much point to it even against rollspammy noobs.
Dash attack is a good move that just needs to be timed right. You need to know when to use it because it's very powerful but slow. Look at it this way: Tipper mechanics. If you suck at spacing, you'll complain about Marth vs Lucina in favor of Lucina because she's easier for people without proper spacing. Well, Dash Attack is really good for people who can read the opponent and know when it'll be safe to do it, specially since it has a tipper mechanic as well, so read+spacing=win.

There is a point in doing it, but you need to time it right. The moment it'll connect is usually right as the roll ends.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
The DA is always kind of a love-hate relationship for me - I love it when it connects and I have a minor heart-attack when they shield. haha

It's really situational for me, based on their damage from my experience, but I've found really good executions of it just after throws, just after they've bounced off the ground (if they don't recover), or after a nice arrow or bomb knock-back, but that's all about being really quick too. Still, like many others have stated before, I take it as a "use only when it'll hit for sure" attack.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
When I use it, I make an attempt to do what the others have said and do it very sparingly. It's easily telegraphed, which makes it predictable and punishable when used often, but it's a fantastic kill move if it lands. This may actually be a good point, too, because since it's easy to telegraph and a move where you may not want to use all that often due to that fact, you'll come to use it less and make it more likely you'll catch the opponent off guard when he/she doesn't expect it. So yes, it has more worth here than being the butt of a joke, I'd say.

But my main beef here is that more often than not, when I do use it, it's when I want to input an Ftilt instead, which is considerably safer than a dash attack and with a decent payout if it lands.

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think the uses of the move extend beyond simple hard reads. Like in the very same video you linked, Link tosses a bomb and immediately after follows it up with the dash attack. I'm pretty sure you can do this with gale boomerang at low percents, and if you use his custom normal boomerang the dash attack connects into higher percents since the knockback is more horizontal compared to the gale's more vertical. I personally love this move. The only problem I have with it is that I still use it as if it was his brawl/melee dash attack out of habit at times where I shouldn't be using it at all. But I'll get over, it just takes more practice. I definitely think this is the best dash attack Link has ever had

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I definitely think this is the best dash attack Link has ever had
See, I gotta disagree. I won't deny, it is an awesome and pretty unique dash attack. Not to mention it homage to his jump attack in... every 3D LoZ game to date. It's a smash attack that's able to cover distance.

My problem with it is the fact that, like all smash attacks, it's very situational. I actually find myself not using it in many matches because there's not much room for an opening (and god forbid you miss or hit a shield). But if you do get hit by it youre probably screwed. On the other hand, his dash attack from Brawl was a little more versatile, being able to execute quickly as well as set up combos. So in an honest sense, it was really a fair trade-off.

My only thing is, Link's got plenty of useful smash attacks at his disposal... why did he need one more? His N64 dash attack was hands down the best.

Last edited:

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
Basically, everytime Link moves forward and attacks, the thing he's facing must melt.

I'd have to say his best Dash Attack had to be N64 version. That godlike rushing stab.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I use it a lot, but it's starting to really cost me... if I miss, I get punished. Simple as that. Especially in Link ditto matches. I don't spam it - I use it in a setup combo... but in doing so, I was eliminated from winner's bracket in my tournament last weekend. Since, I've learned to use it sparingly... but it is a good move, just know when to use it.

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
See, I gotta disagree. I won't deny, it is an awesome and pretty unique dash attack. Not to mention it homage to his jump attack in... every 3D LoZ game to date. It's a smash attack that's able to cover distance.

My problem with it is the fact that, like all smash attacks, it's very situational. I actually find myself not using it in many matches because there's not much room for an opening (and god forbid you miss or hit a shield). But if you do get hit by it youre probably screwed. On the other hand, his dash attack from Brawl was a little more versatile, being able to execute quickly as well as set up combos. So in an honest sense, it was really a fair trade-off.

My only thing is, Link's got plenty of useful smash attacks at his disposal... why did he need one more? His N64 dash attack was hands down the best.
I see what you mean. I guess it really just comes down to your playstyle. For me, even though Link doesn't really have a shortage of kill moves, I sometimes struggle to land that final blow and the new dash attack helps me out tons. And it's so satisfying seeing Link leap towards your enemy when you know as soon as he lands they're dead.

Top Bottom