• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I use MK?

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
I've been watching a few tournament videos and happened to see this "Leo" guy, who outclassed Mr. R on a tournament on Mexico. This guy used a combo that consisted on up tilt -> fair and jump until the opponent is high enought and then finish with up B. If done correctly it killed almost on 27 % starting the combo. After searching a bit more about this character I became somewhat interested by his playstyle, a bait and punish tactic can teach me a few tricks and overall improve my main (Megaman) quite a lot, since metal blades can exploit this strategy. I also enjoy using low tier characters and see people get salty when they cannot win with their top tiers. Overall, I'm asking for your opinions on where should I start, how steep is the learning curve, and how many time does it take to get used to him. Because it seems like I'll be having a good time beating people with a "bad" character.

Last edited:

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
Welcome to the Meta Knight boards. First MK being low tier is a common misconception. His learning curve is quite steep due to his poor neutral, and hard to master punish game. You can start with the mk resource catalogue.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Meta knight isn't bad in the slightest, if you follow the meta at all you'll know he's somewhere in the middle or top of high tiers. Read around the board and you'll learn. The guides from @Bonk! and @ Jamurai Jamurai are both good to look at too.

http://smashboards.com/guides/you-have-a-fair-amount-left-to-learn-jamurais-mk-notes.569/

http://smashboards.com/guides/know-my-power-everything-about-meta-knight-update-ryu-patch-buffs.433/

Be wary, you probably won't do very well if you aren't fully committed to Mk as a main. It also probably won't improve your mega man play. General rule with everything is if you want to be good at something, practice that thing. If you want to be good at mega man, play mega man. If you want to be good at metaknight, play metaknight.

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
This is a Smash character, not a WoW character you have to level up or a college major you have to stick with. Just try him out a bit after reading the guides and see if you like him, it's that simple.

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
Meta knight isn't bad in the slightest, if you follow the meta at all you'll know he's somewhere in the middle or top of high tiers. Read around the board and you'll learn. The guides from @Bonk! and @ Jamurai Jamurai are both good to look at too.

http://smashboards.com/guides/you-have-a-fair-amount-left-to-learn-jamurais-mk-notes.569/

http://smashboards.com/guides/know-my-power-everything-about-meta-knight-update-ryu-patch-buffs.433/

Be wary, you probably won't do very well if you aren't fully committed to Mk as a main. It also probably won't improve your mega man play. General rule with everything is if you want to be good at something, practice that thing. If you want to be good at mega man, play mega man. If you want to be good at metaknight, play metaknight.
Well, to be honest some characters can teach you some basics that can be aplied to your main: Marth can teach you to keep your distance away (spacing), Most heavy characters pretty much force you to time very well your attacks, And rushdown characters took away my fear of going offstage for a kill, I was talking more about the basic rather than the play. I'm fully aware I won´t do as well as a full time MK, but I think reaching the level where you pull up uair strings consistently can make up for a solid secondary, plus the advantage of most people not knowing the match up (At least on FG).
I read Bonks guide right after you left the message, went on to practice right away. First thing I noticed is the lack of kill options, so I'd asume unless you can go for a offstage kill or an uair string you pretty much have to play for damage rather than aiming for the kill. I guess I might be wrong here so feel free to correct me. Another thing I noticed is that he's not as bad as people say, witch didn't surprise at all, people aparently still resent hin from Brawl. Overall, I've had a fun time with him

Welcome to the Meta Knight boards. First MK being low tier is a common misconception. His learning curve is quite steep due to his poor neutral, and hard to master punish game. You can start with the mk resource catalogue.
Yeah, people tend to be a bit skeptical about MK and personally, I don´t think sm4sh tier list is even that acurate, due to constant balance patches and the fact that the game isn't even a year old. But people still think he is, that´s why I quoted the word "bad", because I trully believe he is somewhere aound mid-high tier. But while people think he's bad, they won´t bother to learn the match up, so that's more power to him. At least that's what I think

Edit: Thank you all for the tips! I'll take a look on the (video) thread and see what I can learn.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
First thing I noticed is the lack of kill options, so I'd asume unless you can go for a offstage kill or an uair string you pretty much have to play for damage rather than aiming for the kill. I guess I might be wrong here so feel free to correct me.
Yeah MK has a fair few kill setups and moves actually, including:
  • Uair to Up-B at a huge range of %s
  • Grounded Up-B (including OOS)
  • Dtilt to Up-B, Ftilt 1/2 to Up-B
  • DA or Fthrow/Dthrow to Up-B
  • Fsmash, back hit of Dsmash, Usmash is a bit worse but still good
  • Bair
  • DCape
  • Uthrow, Bthrow and tornado at very high %s or with rage
As well as the edgeguards you mentioned

I don´t think sm4sh tier list is even that acurate, due to constant balance patches and the fact that the game isn't even a year old.
If you're referring to the reddit tier list, I don't think anyone actually takes it seriously; a lot of redditors have no idea what they're on about. eg. Lucas is higher than MK in the latest tier list rofl

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
If you like how he plays then go for it! I think he is an awesome character that is very underdeveloped, and someday, he might even be high tier! His combo game is probably only rivaled by luigi.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
It doesn't seem like you are pushed by the concept of a character being "top tier" - but more playstyle and enjoyment.

With that, it ultimately comes down to playing and seeing if it really does suit you. I liked the analogy above, its not like WoW where you need to level the guy, gear the guy then find team mates AND comp to even get going. You can pick him up today, the only caveat is that you'll obviously have a learning curve in there, and likely early games are representative of your "leveling up".

But ultimately if playstyle enjoyment is your benchmark, no one here on the boards can tell you if you will like a character. Though certainly can help suggest things based on experience and information.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
To be honest, I disagree with the point that playing one character won't necessarily help your play with another. I believe that different characters foster different skills and these can be translated between characters. I experienced this myself when I picked up Pit as a secondary. Pit is all about the fundamentals; no exceedingly strong punishes, zoning etc. Pit is about beating people over and over in neutral using a variety of tools and playstyles. I find myself playing differently (better) as of late because of this.

However, MK isn't a character you secondary unless you're already pretty good/technical/precise. Not to say that you can't have a pocket MK. But for most people it doesn't work. MK is a character that requires a lot of practice/precision. But if the playstyle intrigues you go for it. Maybe you'll drop the rust bucket for the glorious bat.

:4metaknight:

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I disagree with the point that playing one character won't necessarily help your play with another. I believe that different characters foster different skills and these can be translated between characters. I experienced this myself when I picked up Pit as a secondary. Pit is all about the fundamentals; no exceedingly strong punishes, zoning etc. Pit is about beating people over and over in neutral using a variety of tools and playstyles. I find myself playing differently (better) as of late because of this.

However, MK isn't a character you secondary unless you're already pretty good/technical/precise. Not to say that you can't have a pocket MK. But for most people it doesn't work. MK is a character that requires a lot of practice/precision. But if the playstyle intrigues you go for it. Maybe you'll drop the rust bucket for the glorious bat.

:4metaknight:

Is that so? well, I guess that means more time on FG. And yes, my local area is full of average johns, not the best place to practice.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Is that so? well, I guess that means more time on FG. And yes, my local area is full of average johns, not the best place to practice.
I would much rather practise against average players in real life than against average players online, especially if playing MK, but to each their own :p

V23

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yvesdev
I would much rather practise against average players in real life than against average players online, especially if playing MK, but to each their own :p
if i had to pick between AVG players and a level 50 amiibo, i'd pick the amiibo, online or offline.
trying to locate monsters and forcing them to play you, is one of the best tools to evolve into one. the moment i've stopped playing with scrubs (that sometimes were even 1-2 levels ABOVE me) my level was boosted

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
Well, I don´t know about your experience on FG but for the most time I meet people that are able to put up a fight (pun intended)

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Well, I don´t know about your experience on FG but for the most time I meet people that are able to put up a fight (pun intended)
Try playing on Anther's Ladder. It's a hell of a lot better than playing on FG, if you're dead set on practicing mainly online (you shouldn't)

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I just started using MK as my secondary. I used to play him in Brawl a bit(But that was when I was a noob and didn't even know about tier lists), so I have some recognition on how to use him. his dash attack>Jump>Immediate up-special is BEAST at high percents. That is how I get most kills. Do you guys have any tips for me?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I just started using MK as my secondary. I used to play him in Brawl a bit(But that was when I was a noob and didn't even know about tier lists), so I have some recognition on how to use him. his dash attack>Jump>Immediate up-special is BEAST at high percents. That is how I get most kills. Do you guys have any tips for me?
http://smashboards.com/threads/meta...reply-to-new-threads-asking-questions.371316/

^ This thread exists for a reason. Your answers can be asked and answered here.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight is a great character to play, but has a steep learning curve. However, its a common(and insulting) misconception that Meta Knight is low tier. In all honesty, he is mid-high tier, mostly because he handles like a bit like Sheik, what with the fast and weak moves and the down B kill. However, I'm not the best MK out there, I've much yet to learn, but he has been a rewarding character to play and that drives home the point that he's everyone's problem character because he's so underplayed.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
been thinking of picking up Metaknight as a competive Secondary to my Jr

why is that I can see both Jr and Metaknight share alot of properties like they need to be precise on many of their moves and at the same time they are a contrast, there Jr is both bulky and tricky that Jr do struggle against some MU while Metaknight is a rusher and can deal with Jrs bad MU much better
they also share alot of in the meta, but the big difference is that Metaknight got out from being "low tier" to high tier.

are they any combo guides for Metaknight that has BnB, Setups and kill combos?

Cylent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cylent.x
MK is definitely underrated in the meta right now.
He has a pretty steep learning curve, but once you get the swing of things he can be very fun and very brutal.
If you enjoy the character you should definitely pick him up!

Top Bottom