• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I main Falco or Fox

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
I've just started playing melee and I'm deciding whether to put my time to main either fox or falco. between the two are two gripes that can be fixed later on. I can short hop with falco but not fox but fox is my best wavedashing character and I can't wd with falco. though some say that wavedashing is not beneficial I tend to use it a lot in mind games if that counts. any one lift some ideas and reasons for me?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Wavdashing is very beneficial. Chances are you are pressing the L/R trigger too fast. With falco there is a slight delay between jump and air dodge. Shorthops you just need to grind out. Both aren't very good reasons to give up on a character.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Definitely Falco, he's more stylish, tends to be easier on the hands, and is cooler. Plus his combos are sick. Also, Wavedashing is incredibly beneficial.

Magellan

Smash Cadet
None of the reasons you listed are good ones to pick a character. Wavedashing (which is ESSENTIAL) and short hops are extremely basic tech that you will work out in no time. Specializing in a character can take a year or two to fully develop your tech skill and you never really reach the limit of what is possible and what can be perfected.

I picked up Falco because he had a clearly defined punish game. Fox I didn't really understand how to combo people. Falco's basic punish game is simple as most of his moves involve sending an opponent in this up down motion. Falco is slightly slower than Fox so he will be easier on the hands in the end. Falco is pretty stylish; however, I feel like to play him well is more difficult than Fox.

In the end, Fox and Falco are similar and many main both. This can be tricky once you get good because their timings are different. You already experience this with your WD. Their jump squats differ in frame length so it changes the timing on WD and shine tech. Just play whichever you like. It is not necessary to make some life changing decision where you become a Fox or Falco main. Just play. You'll figure out your soul character eventually.

Last edited:

Puphmaster

Smash Rookie
Well I would certainly like to see less foxes in the community because personally i prefer falco as my secondary. Although this is coming from a jigglypuff main which despises fox it would be so much better for melee if we didn't all play fox, after all the community is what matters and if everyone plays the same character then there isn't much of a competitive community eventually. But as for you just play with both until you find one who you just preform better with in general and then second the other one.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Well I would certainly like to see less foxes in the community because personally i prefer falco as my secondary. Although this is coming from a jigglypuff main which despises fox it would be so much better for melee if we didn't all play fox, after all the community is what matters and if everyone plays the same character then there isn't much of a competitive community eventually. But as for you just play with both until you find one who you just preform better with in general and then second the other one.
We're never gonna see less Fox because there's no need to. Fox is a beautiful, independent character that deserves respect!

But to answer the OP, I think you shouldn't be asking people who you should play. You should make this decision on your own by playing around with different characters over time, and finding the one that fits you best and interests you the best.

Top Bottom