• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I look to Sonic as my counter to Sheik?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I don't feel Ike is really cutting it. My match with Vinnie showcased my own personal lack of matchup experience, but also the strong class difference between the two characters. I've been looking to use a secondary since then, so I've practiced against several Sheik players using multiple characters. I've tried Mario and Cloud, and Cloud has yielded far better results.

I was recently told Sonic is the only one that goes even with Sheik, or just slightly disadvantaged. I've always been a huge Sonic fan, and I used him as my secondary in Brawl. Is it worth checking out the character as a pocket?

Right now, all I know how to do is Side B mixups all day.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic doesn't go even with Sheik, but I do believe he is one of the few with only a slight disadvantage to her, including Meta Knight, Mario, Ryu, possibly Cloud, and a couple others.

If you're only planning to pick up a character for one match-up, that of which being Sheik, I highly recommend not picking up Sonic, though. Primarily because he is able to keep up with her in non-obvious ways and would require a lot of work and dedication just to get that point. If you really just want to cheese Sheik, you'll get farther with a bread and butter MK than you will a Sonic.

On top of that, you may just not know the Sheik match-up. No secondary will teach you that.

I'm saying that as someone who has also faced Vinnie twice in bracket and has managed to only take 1 round from him, in addition to the many other Sonics I have seen fall to him.

:093:

PeliPenguin

Smash Cadet
NNID
peligod2
I'd honestly recommend Cloud over Sonic, he's easier to use and given you main Ike, he's another sword character.

That being said, Sonic loses to Sheik but has the tools to keep up with her and combo her, but requires much more knowledge and skill of the character that only comes through dedication.

As Cammy said, you can't cheese Sheik with Sonic, so you're better off using a different character if you're planning on a simple effective pocket character, but if you enjoy Sonic then he can viably take on Sheik if you practice and learn the ins and outs of the MU.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
I'd honestly recommend Cloud over Sonic, he's easier to use and given you main Ike, he's another sword character.

That being said, Sonic loses to Sheik but has the tools to keep up with her and combo her, but requires much more knowledge and skill of the character that only comes through dedication.

As Cammy said, you can't cheese Sheik with Sonic, so you're better off using a different character if you're planning on a simple effective pocket character, but if you enjoy Sonic then he can viably take on Sheik if you practice and learn the ins and outs of the MU.
I second this, Cloud is my other main for this exact reason

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I personally have no problem in the Sheik MU as of now, but I digress. In my opinion, just stick to who you currently main. Some of the best character mains in the world for each Smash game (not just this one) go solo with that character. Some may counter that for Sm4sh I use Pit boys and Sonic, but the thing is even if I have the advantage with one of my mains and not the other, I like to go fight with one who doesn't have the advantage because I want to get better with both of my characters. For example, sometimes I like to play Pit against Pikachu, despite the fact that it's clearly a disadvantage for Pit and Sonic can at least go even with Pikachu, but I go Pit because if I just stay going Sonic against Pikachu, I will never truly be better with Pit or Dark Pit. So basically just stick to who you currently main and try to improve in the MU.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It was actually ScAtt who said that. But then again, he doesn't really use Cloud as a tourney character.
Yeah, and Manny will tell you that Sonic loses badly to Cloud...

People don't really know the dynamic fully enough yet.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Speaking of Cloud, I have quite the tournament set to show you all soon.

I also have pretty extensive notes on what to do in the match-up to the best of my knowledge thus far.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well let's see it then.
It should be on YouTube sometime this week, preferably tonight. I'd rather link to that than the VOD.

Analysis is in the works.

Top Bottom