• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I even bother with projectiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quillion

Smash Hero
With rolling as strong as it is and with the air dodge still conserving (with more but ultimately insignificant landing lag), it looks like projectiles aren't really that useful. Couple that with the massive amount of anti-projectile moves, and it looks like there's no real chance for it to be useful.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Even if your opponent can deal with projectiles, throwing them out still gives them something to think about and a possible distraction. Be careful against reflectors of course but...yeah.

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
Throwing projectiles is all about controlling space. The point isn't to hit your opponent, but to control and limit where they can be.

For example, Wii Fit Trainer works well when using a combination of Sun Salutation and Header to lure opponents closer to her because her strong moves have a small hitbox.

Spirst

I use Duck Hunt and I will tell you that projectiles are really useful in stage control, forcing certain options, and adding pressure. The can, for example, can be used to harass people offstage and trap them into a dodging animation that can be exploited with aerials for gimps. Gunmen can be used to apply pressure and discourage thoughtless offense. The key is to use projectiles as means to a setup rather than be the end-all hit,

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
With rolling as strong as it is and with the air dodge still conserving (with more but ultimately insignificant landing lag), it looks like projectiles aren't really that useful. Couple that with the massive amount of anti-projectile moves, and it looks like there's no real chance for it to be useful.
Apparently you and KaChow from this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/why-everyone-playing-this-game-is-a-coward-except-for-me.377527/ Should meet up for a few rounds. But in all seriousness, projectiles are about controlling the fight space. You throw them out to force your opponent to react in a certain way, and using your other attacks, you punish their attempts to move in. Pac-Man has very effective projectiles, but if he spams them, they lose use. It is all about moderation. You cannot win with just projectiles alone. If they are rolling or spot dodging your attempt to move in. You moved in too soon, or could of used another projectile.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Everyone's assuming that the opponent is easily aggravated by the projectiles and is filibustered into making a mistake.

What if the opponent is calm like myself and just waits for the projectile camping to end?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Everyone's assuming that the opponent is easily aggravated by the projectiles and is filibustered into making a mistake.

What if the opponent is calm like myself and just waits for the projectile camping to end?
If your opponent lacks a projectile of their own and isn't approaching you then you keep throwing projectiles... There's no reason for you to approach unless if your opponent has a stock lead.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639

No one is assuming that. Take Diddy's Banana peel. You throw the banana, the opponent can do one of 3 things. Shield the banana, leading possibly to a grab. Spotdodge/roll, which can be punished with dash attack/short hop fair. Or jump, which Diddy can also follow up on. While you do not dictate the exact reaction they would make. You are forcing them to make a choice.

What you are referring to is projectile spamming, something that has never been effective in any serious fighting game meta. More so in Smash when all you need to do is add platforms to kill it entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom