• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I change characters against Falco?

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
I have had huge trouble with the Falco matchup.
Usually in neutral, I'd want DK to have his back facing the opponent, as to use his back air as a poking tool and his up tilt as an anti air.
The absolute worst thing for me about Falco is how his lasers turn DK around, leaving me forward facing, where I don't have much to deal with his approach.
For this reason, I find the matchup much worse than against other characters, as Sheik/Fox/Marth are still able to defend themselves well from this position.

Has anyone got any good advice for facing Falco's, or would it be better to just switch?

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
By far I think Falco is DK's worst match-up. In a match-up where DK is forced to approach it's very difficult for him to do so. Honestly counter picking stages with platforms is your best bet. You can move around on those to avoid lasers and try to get in. Getting proficient with power shielding and perfect shielding help with grounded approaches, but are difficult to do. Against Falco you shouldn't really be leaving the ground either, because his options are way better than yours. You just have to stay grounded, poke with d-tilt, space well and make the most out of a grab you get. Switching isn't a bad idea if you feel hopeless, but I would recommend trying to face Falco's as DK still and if you feel you have a good grasp on the match-up and still can't win then switch.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
Staying on the ground seems like a bad idea. Dtlit misses if he shffls and DK doesn't really have a quick forward facing anti aerial move.
I've been looking at some of Poob's games and he seems to stay above Falco as much as possible, until he can start to get in Falco's space.
It's just difficult with this matchup, DK has no real answer to shield pressure it seems. Up-B out of shield is far too low, seems only thing the poor ape can do is roll away and escape.

Brass Monkey

Smash Rookie
Definitely Dk's worst matchup and it's totally stage dependent. If it's your counterpick, it's more doable but some stages like Battlefield just really suck. Smashville is great as you either don't have the platform around and can chaingrab or you'll be sticking to the platform like glue and let it approach for you as you sit on it. Up-B oos is totally "tall" enough, just only in the back. Go into debug mode and look at the initial hitbox. The back hitbox can hit characters on the bottom platforms of battlefield while the front one is lower and more centered. Crouching with d-tilt usually sucks because falco's dair can't be crouched but if they are approaching with either nair or lasers than it's fine. The matchup really requires you to get as much out of every grab as possible which should be chainthrows/up-airs into punch for the kill.

An example of myself http://www.twitch.tv/eaglesmash/v/16510865?t=10m17s
Excuse the low bitrate, university internet sucks.

Last edited:

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I meant slow, rather than low. Typo. I probably just need to get better at timing it, since the first three frames is intangible.
It's just a case of DK's best neutral tools are useful when his back is facing his opponent, and Falco ruins that.
And I do wonder about taking Smashville. It seems like that stage gives Falco the advantage. I've practiced the matchup a bit, and it seems that I need 3 platform stages in order to avoid lasers whilst still being able to take advantage of DK's speed. Need to be at Marth distance from Falco as much as possible whilst out maneuvering his approaches.

I think the main trap is to pick stages like FD and Smashville. It's tempting to pick them for a guaranteed 0-death off a grab, but it's far easier for Falco to gain control there. Also in three platform stages, 0-deaths are still possible, you just need to jump cargo up throw and climb the platforms that way.

Also spacies are just difficult to grab straight away, you need to combo into it, but it's difficult to tell when you can get a regrab and when you will miss and need to prepare a tech chase.

EDIT: Btw that was a good game you listed. However I do think that the neutral was most in your favour on Dreamland. I think Falco can get control of the platforms too easily on PS2 and Yoshi's.

Last edited:

Brass Monkey

Smash Rookie
Because we live in Georgia, we were running what will be the tipped off ruleset which has 3 starters, Battlefield, Smashville, and Ps2. I personally hate battlefield against Falco because he just pillars us for days (or gets us offstage if we DI that way...but that can be death) and can mash out of cargo if you try to jump onto a platform as it takes awhile to get back down to the platform from the jump to start the chaingrab. He obviously knew about my shenanigans on Smashville and how I camp the platform and have it approach for me. There's nothing he can do about it, if he goes for the platform then I get to roam the ground and if he stays grounded then I just slowly approach him on the platform and shield lasers. So Ps2 it was for the start. Yoshi's was his pick, and a fairly good one as it's similar to battlefield, just with the top platform quirk that makes it easier to chaingrab. And of course when he won his 2 bans were smashville and FD where I can chaingrab him freely so Dreamland was the next best option because of the platform spread is far enough to allow chaingrabs on all 3 of them separately and in the center of the stage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom