• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Hyrule Warriors Zelda be in SSB4?

Seki_

Smash Cadet
NNID
RCX420
I've been playing Hyrule Warriors recently (haven't beaten it, pls no spoiler) and in that game Zelda is really strong. Like, she's unbelievably powerful, and compared to her strength in Smash for Wii U this is completely unacceptable. I understand neither of these games are canon, but that doesn't mean that a certain character can't use their abilities from their own game in smash. What do you guys think? Do you think Zelda's strength could be balanced with her powers in Hyrule Warriors? She uses weapons in Hyrule Warriors such as a Rapier and the Wind Waker, would you like to see her use those?

EDIT: For that matter what about other characters such as Sheik and Ganondorf? Sheik in specific hasn't been in a major Zelda game since OoT, and Bouncing Fish/Grenade were completely random abilities that came from almost nowhere. Furthermore do you think Ganondorf could use his Swords? It'd be nice for him to be his own unique character.

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
I would love to see phantom being replace by wind waker thing. It would be sassy and funny.
Girahim or Xanto could be a nice add as we lack hyrule evil doers.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
The thing about this is that Zelda has so many things she can do in HW. Rapier, Baton, and Dominion Rod all have their own styles and picking & choosing from this arsenal in order to make her into a smash character would be difficult. Which weapon do you use for her smash incarnation? Should it have some mix of all 3? What mix does this character justice? Most importantly, for the people that played and loved her in previous installations of smash, changing her completely like that would do an injustice to fans of the character. This was part of Sakurai's thought process in changing/adding/cutting characters for sm4sh and completely overhauling a character like that would probably be against what Sakurai wanted to do with the roster. A small example of this is Samus who was absolutely not overhauled in this iteration of smash but had one move swapped out for another. As an avid Samus player myself, I loved her nair in melee and even in brawl when she was garbage. The new nair they gave her hurts me inside and that mistake alone makes me question how much I want to use the character (Right now, she's still my secondary but my Zelda is miles better than my Samus for more reasons than just the change to her nair).

However, at the same time, Sakurai did something very similar to our favorite turtle, Bowser, and I haven't heard any Bowser fans that absolutely hate that their character was overhauled like this mostly because Bowser is just plain better now that he's been overhauled. The solutions that Zelda needs may very well be addressed in executing this hypothetical new toolkit as well. Punishable moves? Give her the rapier that hits multiple times per attack and is really fast. Lack of projectile pressure? Give her the baton whose strong attack and Combo 2 are powerful long-range attacks or give her the light arrows as a special instead of a final smash (Tone them down obviously :p). Lack of spacing tools? Give her the dominion rod which basically gives us a huge Luma.

Solve all of these problems just like this? Zelda would be powerfully broken.

So, I guess, to answer the question: Seeing an iteration of Zelda that is based on HW would be exciting and I'd probably enjoy playing that iteration of Zelda but I also don't want to completely lose the one we have no matter how much other people think she's crap. On a side note, I'm curious why Sakurai didn't reference HW for his design choices in sm4sh (granted, HW isn't canon) since he used other games that hadn't come out yet (and still aren't out) for his design choices with stages and characters. Yoshi's Woolly World isn't out yet but there's a stage for it. Sakurai had been working on Greninja long before Pokemon X/Y came out. Why not HW?

On another side note: I like Zelda's appearance in sm4sh more than her appearance in HW. Just personal preference.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Honestly, I think "Zelda being weak in Smash" is mostly a competitive point of view (I also agree with that and am aware of her Smash flaws). So if you start comparing Smash Zelda vs HW Zelda, a game where every characters are overpowerful being...

Although Zelda uses magic in HW (summoning the Light Bow and using spells based on Din, Farore and Nayru with the Rapier), I think that her Smash moveset suits her more for a general representation. It's still a unique interesting moveset, that I really love, especially in Smash 4. Make me play Brawl and you can be sure that I'll be transforming all the time, as I love the phantom.

The Wind Waker should belong to Toon Link and the Dominion would probably simply be a "phantom clone". The rapier would be interesting and give her more range on her normal, but I feel like she would lose some originality.

Anyway, I'm totally okay for a HW costume (with a SS and/or OoT costume). It still a nice design, that have some nice alt colors. The best is still black TP Zelda though :)

Seki_

Smash Cadet
NNID
RCX420
From a general 'how to improve Zelda' point of view, giving her the rapier could make up for some of her weaknesses (i.e. bad smash attacks, bad jab) which her main attacks don't make much sense to begin with. She just sort of uses generic sparkle magic with most of her attacks and that doesn't really work tbh. On a different note I'm disappointed that we didn't get anything at all from Skyward Sword, not even a costume of her design which I really like.

Last edited:

Seki_

Smash Cadet
NNID
RCX420
i didnt mean to do this pls forgive im a baka and clicked reply instead of edit

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Giving her a rapier would make her even less unique. We have enough sword characters. And I think her jab is fine as is.

AncientCode42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Surge_Production
As much as I want to agree with this part of me wants to while other part doesn't. I agree Hyrule Warriors has the best portrayal of Zelda in a long time in terms of combat. However. If she were to have her moveset ported from HW to Smash Bros Wii U/3DS I feel she would be too similar to Robin. Robin has a sword, but also uses magic, which is basically what Zelda would be. Having a sword would fix her range flaws and she would be a lot faster in speed and not hindered by her dress. She would also use some magic attacks too. The Dominion Rod would simply be another Phantom. The Wind Waker is already carried by Toon Link. Zelda being a pure magic user is very unique in Smash Bros because not really many others have that style. Zelda's moveset isn't bad overall. Project M is proof that her moveset can be very viable, it's how her moveset was designed that was the problem.

To be honest Smash 4 did fix a lot of issues with Zelda from the previous installments. She now has faster dash and walk speed, her air speed is faster, faster grab with improved follow up potential on D-Throw and U-Throw. An actual combo ability (though still a bit small.) Dair can sweespot ground opponents, Bair and Fair are easiser to land due to hitbox placement, And a more reliable recovery option due to the ledge mechanic changes. The only thing that was really nerfed with her was her KO options, but since the new 1.0.6 patch she now has her F-Smash fixed to where she can trap people better now, so it's an improvement from the previous games and pre patch 1.0.6 where they would fall out. She also gains a KO option from it.. Her Custom moves for her Phantom fixed the default's issues, so really she just suffers from an approach option (to a degree anyway.)

Really her only flaw that carries over from previous games is her lack of range.

That's just my opinion anyways. I do agree with you, but at the same time she wouldn't be unique. Though I do wish HW Zelda was an alt.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I would love Zelda using the rapier and fighting like in Hyrule Warriors in Smash. A rapier is an elegant sword, fitting for an elegant princess like our queen. ♥

No sword user fights the way someone yielding a rapier should fight, and adding the light magic and different specials, as well as her bow, we would have a really cool character.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Just make her Hyrule Warriors abilities alternate special moves. Get the best of both worlds. Her old moveset and extra kicks.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Seeing Zelda with a rapier would make her less unique than what she has now. Besides, how many sword wielding characters we already have in the game and why do we need another?

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Magic Zelda makes a lot more sense because she's basically a sage. Though Zelda, Link, and pretty much all the characters looked very good in Hyrule Warriors. That battle ball gown would be an awesome alt costume.

Tho if she used light arrows instead of her worthless Din's Fire then she would actually be a better and cooler character. Instead they saved it for her Smash. . . Like r u 4 srs how2waste potenshul???

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Tho if she used light arrows instead of her worthless Din's Fire then she would actually be a better and cooler character. Instead they saved it for her Smash. . . Like r u 4 srs how2waste potenshul???
I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THIS

Now I'm extremely depressed.

Top Bottom