• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should grab combos exist?

Should grab combo's exist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braydon

Smash Ace
I've kind of been having trouble understanding why these exist. Grabs are pretty much the easiest thing to land, besides maybe a few projectile. And some characters, Ness, Rob, etc. can deal more damage than by landing a charged smash. It not only takes no skill, it's absolutely no fun to play against it. I've never played a Ness or ROB, lost, and then thought, wow what a good game. No. It's just annoying when you get grabbed and then you're stuck there, doing nothing while you bounce around taking 30%. Hey if you're someone with a large hit box like bowser getting grabbed by ness can be more punishing than taking a reverse warlock punch to the face.

So I was wondering does anybody actually think someone should be able to wrack up 20-40% on a grab? I just see it as an annoying detriment to the game.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
Certain characters have a better follow up game for grabs it's true. Diddy and Ness come to mind. There are several others. However, these combos only really work reliably at low percents. I like the idea of comboing out of grabs at low percents but there needs to be a patch to help all characters have similar follow up potential after grabs. And increase recovery frames for Ness Fair and Diddy Uair...

Braydon

Smash Ace
Would you care to mention why you think grab combos out dealing smashes is good for the game?

Also it's not really just low %s, Ness can get at least one guaranteed hit afterward up to around 50% depending on who he's fighting against, ROB's goes till like 80, and they both get grab kills not long after, though robs only deals around 20%... Still...

Yes. okay the HOO HAA is a little broken but everything else is okay. It's a nice way to rack up % without destroying the game.
"no skill" false

smashes are more for their launching power than their %

Braydon

Smash Ace
That's not entirely true, some smashes are good for wracking up %s, like mega's up smash sucks in and it makes it easy to hit, much easier than his up tilt. Shulks front smash is great because with buster you can get 25% on a good read.

That's not entirely true, some smashes are good for wracking up %s, like mega's up smash sucks in and it makes it easy to hit, much easier than his up tilt. Shulks front smash is great because with buster you can get 25% on a good read.
. . .regardless.
assuming throws don't rack up % what do you intend they do

Braydon

Smash Ace
. . .regardless.
assuming throws don't rack up % what do you intend they do
Bypass a shield, I always thought that was the point, not to deal 30% in a hit. Have them hit the 7-13% plus pummel damage and that's enough if you ask me.

Bypass a shield, I always thought that was the point, not to deal 30% in a hit. Have them hit the 7-13% plus pummel damage and that's enough if you ask me.
shields are already really strong in this game. grabs punish shielding because nothing that isn't marth's neutral b can.

Nerf something (which isn't even that bad) and shielding becomes more powerful than it already is.

Braydon

Smash Ace
I really don't understand the logic here, you could still punish through shielding if you hit 15% instead of 30%... 30% is just ridiculous, the problem is it goes through shields AND does more, there's basically no downside to some chars grabs, they just hit a crapload through shields. Hey landing a shieldbreaker and stunning as marth won't even land you with 30% damage.

no downside
punishing if you miss.
I really don't understand the logic here, you could still punish through shielding if you hit 15% instead of 30%... 30% is just ridiculous, the problem is it goes through shields AND does more, there's basically no downside to some chars grabs, they just hit a crapload through shields. Hey landing a shieldbreaker and stunning as marth won't even land you with 30% damage.
almost no characters can get a true 30% combo with just a grab. Throws can be DI'd.

If you are getting destroyed by grabs I think you need to look at your own gameplay. DI and rolling/spotdodging are your friend

TheRealBlueBlur

Smash Apprentice
Yes. okay the HOO HAA is a little broken but everything else is okay. It's a nice way to rack up % without destroying the game.
"no skill" false

smashes are more for their launching power than their %
I agree 100%. Hoo-hah is probably the most broken combo in the game, but only at this point. A game update or new broken strat may come up.

Braydon

Smash Ace
@ A Distant Demon A Distant Demon
Being punished if you missed goes for every attack, so it's not a dowsnide to trying to grab combo, it's a quality of basically all moves. Anyway Ness, ROB, Mario, don't have much end lag on their grabs if they miss, about as much as on their dashes actually, so not very punishable is it?

I'm not getting wrecked by grabs every game... but it has a big effect when you are playing against a ness, he just gets to much of a reward for landing it.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
I've never played a Ness or ROB, lost, and then thought, wow what a good game. No. It's just annoying when you get grabbed and then you're stuck there, doing nothing while you bounce around taking 30%.
I too used to be mad at grabs.

Then i learned how to spot dodge %)))

edit: Idk why you're annoyed with the damage a grabcombo can do? Most grabcombos are used as damagerackingtools while you use your smash to net the kills, why would you make your smashes stale at low percentages anyway?

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
I too used to be mad at grabs.

Then i learned how to spot dodge %)))

edit: Idk why you're annoyed with the damage a grabcombo can do? Most grabcombos are used as damagerackingtools while you use your smash to net the kills, why would you make your smashes stale at low percentages anyway?
:rolleyes:
Oh great now the, "You're just bad!" comment, of course...

You don't know why I'm annoyed by being hurt more by a grab than a warlock punch? Because that's an absurd amount of damage, because it's unfair, because they kill the fun.

Why would I smash at low %s? I smash whenever I get an opening to use a smash attack, why wouldn't I?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This doesn't belong here.

This is more suited for the General Wii U threads.

Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom