• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Apex be DL only?

Should Apex be DL only?

• Total voters

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Everyone voting for DL only.
I dislike you to an extent.

In all seriousness, why care if it is DL only or not if you can just re-counterpick dreamland after losing the 2nd game on a better stage?

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Everyone voting for DL only.
I dislike you to an extent.

In all seriousness, why care if it is DL only or not if you can just re-counterpick dreamland after losing the 2nd game on a better stage?
Peach castle is pure jank

Kongo jungle will eventually suffer the same fate as hyrule, so bad arguments like "just lose the 2nd game" that were also used to defend hyrule eventually won't work anymore

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Peach castle is pure jank

Kongo jungle will eventually suffer the same fate as hyrule, so bad arguments like "just lose the 2nd game" that were also used to defend hyrule eventually won't work anymore
I wouldn't mind Peach's banned. It's already becoming dumb with the abundance of Pikachu/Kirby now.

In terms of Kongo, I haven't seen any major arguments against it outside of "I'm too old for this ****, stage makes me blind" or "I can't use my favorite color." I mean the barrel is there but people are punished so easily off of them anyway.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind Peach's banned. It's already becoming dumb with the abundance of Pikachu/Kirby now.

In terms of Kongo, I haven't seen any major arguments against it outside of "I'm too old for this ****, stage makes me blind" or "I can't use my favorite color." I mean the barrel is there but people are punished so easily off of them anyway.
Because look at how smash is played and look at kongo. the way WE play smash is best on dreamland. its smaller, it has three platforms at two different heights. its the best for movement options. kongo is trash

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
You'll see what happens when people realize how to camp on Kongo and how bad it is for approaching

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
You'll see what happens when people realize how to camp on Kongo and how bad it is for approaching
I would like it demonstrated instead of theorycrafting. People thought it was good to do in Hyrule as well but it took a few players to make sure it was banned.

firo

Smash Ace
It's a real shame that Apex is not dreamland only.

We argue about what stages to use before every major tournament.
Smash 64 is older than melee and we still can't agree on a ruleset. I think that's pretty horrible. Rulesets affect the way the game is played.

This game has been trending towards dreamland-only for a long time and it's only going to become an even more common view as time goes on. People only care about a dreamland-only tier list at this point. I haven't heard a convincing argument for keeping the stages, especially peach's castle, in a long time.

I hope I'm not the only one that has had my tournament fate decided by losses during counterpicks to peach's and congo for the final game of the set at both apex and zenith last year. If this rule changes, (and it will, eventually), looking back at those matches is going to be pretty unsatisfying.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure 'I want dream land only' is a giant excuse for people not training/adapting on Congo, like really? DL only is extremely boring, and I think the better player should be the one who takes time understanding the stages, and not being stingy with Dl only, now I can understand peaches ban, but Kongo doesn't deserve it, it even helps ness'es and Yoshi players recover easier, opting for a great counter pick for them

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure 'I want dream land only' is a giant excuse for people not training/adapting on Congo, like really? DL only is extremely boring, and I think the better player should be the one who takes time understanding the stages, and not being stingy with Dl only, now I can understand peaches ban, but Kongo doesn't deserve it, it even helps ness'es and Yoshi players recover easier, opting for a great counter pick for them
I'm going to try to be as inoffensive as possible, but you're just ****ing wrong on everything you just said. Play the game more so you really have an idea of what these stages really do.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I'm aware DL is the only neutral, but I feel that Kongo is pretty neutral as well, especially compared to the other stages. It also allows for more innovative gameplay with its enhanced sharking potential, barrel, and high platforms. I can stomach KJ not being a neutral so long as it is definitely legal, if as a CP. It's one of the most interesting stages Smash has ever had.

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
Apex should be planet zebes only

Even if it went DL only, can't players still play on any stage if they agree on it?

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
I'm aware DL is the only neutral, but I feel that Kongo is pretty neutral as well, especially compared to the other stages. It also allows for more innovative gameplay with its enhanced sharking potential, barrel, and high platforms. I can stomach KJ not being a neutral so long as it is definitely legal, if as a CP. It's one of the most interesting stages Smash has ever had.
Your text color is the worst thing I've seen all day.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I'm going to try to be as inoffensive as possible, but you're just ****ing wrong on everything you just said. Play the game more so you really have an idea of what these stages really do.
ok so tell me, what is wrong with congo besides the barrel and the lighting of the stage?? I understand that peaches gives some people a crazy disadvantage (Like falcon vs link) but honestly i dont understand whats wrong with congo

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
ok so tell me, what is wrong with congo besides the barrel and the lighting of the stage?? I understand that peaches gives some people a crazy disadvantage (Like falcon vs link) but honestly i dont understand whats wrong with congo
Benefits top tiers way more than it benefits lower tiers
Ledge DI is impossible
Characters who rely on platforms for good movement options get screwed over
Bottom middle ground and top side platforms are amazing defensive spots and can make matches slow down to a crawl
Amount of approach options by certain non-top tier characters is hindered by lack of good platforms, leading to even more defensive play
Barrel doesn't really help recoveries except pika, most top tier chars can easily punish and kill off of a barrel shot
Barrel can actually HURT recoveries (Mario/Yoshi optimal double jumping distance for recovering is exactly where the barrel can come from offscreen and suck you in, taking away your only double jump)

So much for being a good counterpick for Yoshi/Ness! Whoops!

This isn't one of my reasons but take note that Melee, a game that is generally considered faster paced and more offensive than 64, banned this stage a long time ago.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
You can camp on congo.

The only thing you need to think about is the actual game. Try looking at the game in hitbox mode, or just a different perspective. Sure you might be a cute little fox fighting a grown space car racer, but in reality, you are inputting commands to make a box move and send other boxes close to your box's general direction. You are also a box that moves around based on gravity to a big box under you. Smash is 2d, and it's all about boxes, and when the main objective of the game is to get your box close enough to the enemy box to hurt them, without letting the enemy box hurt you, you realize this game is all about spacing.

Look at fighting in real life. We live in a 3 dimensional world and fighting in 3d is all about spacing, hit/don't get hit, that is the only rule in fighting. In boxing they fight in a square because that's all you need. You don't need a ****ing barrier in the middle with walls you can grab onto because all the movement options you need are on you're feet, and angling yourself not to get hit.

Take a look back at smash. When you play on dreamland you don't have the option to move in three dimensions. You can only go up, down, left and right. What stage gives you the most options to be to the left/right or above/below your opponent, while STILL STAYING as close as possible to your opponent. Dreamland. If your opponent is in the middle of dreamland, and you are on the right, think of all the approaching options. Straight on ground / on right platform and fall / top platform then reverse direction back to ground / top platform dropping down the middle of it / top platform falling off the left side. Dreamland gives the most options for approach which has the maximum amount of competitive environment as the metagame literally REVOLVES around approaching.

If someone is on the top side platforms of kongo, and they stay there, what options of approach is there? There's ****ing one and that's just to jump up there and get ****ing pwned. Kongo doesn't allow for the amount of mental game that can be applied to this game of smash. Just look at melee on a stage similar to dreamland. You will people jump and move all around the stage, sliding and falling, just to add complexity to their approach and to confuse their opponents. When spacing, having more movement options allows for more mind games, and you should know by now this game isn't just a bunch of easy combos. You won't be confusing your opponents if you stay on the top platforms of kongo.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
So now i got some real points to why Congo is probably not a good stage, still gonna play it, but ill keep those notes down for future reminder, thanks

Top Bottom