• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shorthop button

metaknight007

Smash Cadet
i was just wondering if it is possible to make a shorthop button like when you press it it doesnt matter how long you hold it in you always shorthop?

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
That button would suck, when you think about it. You'd HAVE to have two keys to jump... something most people on keyboards already have to do.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Winston (Gustav) has an effective CF playstyle that lacks short-hops. I don't know whether he uses a keyboard or not, but just that in itself demonstrates that its possible to play without a shorthop key...

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
My up button on my c-stick and dpad (i use dpad) is set low sensitivity so I can shuair with falcon after a throw or whatever. only way to fulljump is to use the button, I have to learn new techniques haha. Its worth it cuz now i can combo pika mario and ness much better.

_kSo_

Smash Master
your skiill in smash64/melee can only go so far without shorthopping. granted many people have gone a long time without shorthopping and are fine with it, they will certainly bump into problems at higher level play, esp on console.

Also, I don't think there is a way to designate a shorthop key on the keyboard or on the controller. but if your using a controller, an easy way to do it is to touch the c-button slightly and like slide down off of it onto empty controller area ( a part with no button) so it's like button slidding only you slide from c-down to nothing. that sholud help with your sh'ing

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Just learn how to short-hop. It's not that hard. It'll take like two weeks at most to get it down consistently. Once you get used to the timing it's easy to short-hop no matter what you're using. I can do it on a laptop keyboard and I don't even use keys to play.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
I've tried playing with both keyboard and console, and i've found that the learning curve on the keyboard is much harder, seeing that the keys weren't exactly designed for this game. So don't give up and look for a cheap way out... this is how steroids got started...

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
I could easily write a hacked plugin for Super Smash Brothers... I even thought about it, but then I figured that it might take me a few hours to code, and by that time I would have made enough to buy a controller... and thats exactly what I did.

_kSo_

Smash Master
I started out on kb, but none of my friends played on kb and I didn't know how to play online. I just spent all day pwning lvl 9 comps lol. It was stupid. But yea console > kb IMO

in any case, sh'ing on kb is possible, so just practice it and you'll get it. auto sh'ing wont get you anywhere champ

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
I started out on kb, but none of my friends played on kb and I didn't know how to play online. I just spent all day pwning lvl 9 comps lol. It was stupid. But yea console > kb IMO

in any case, sh'ing on kb is possible, so just practice it and you'll get it. auto sh'ing wont get you anywhere champ
Auto SHing will definatly improve your skills, but any KB'er knows the switching your control style cuts about 75% of your skill off the bat then after about 10 hours of play your back to your normal play (in most aspects) but are starting to make improvments.

I can tell a story (infact I will):

I bought a controller, and set it up and I couldn't even win a match against noobs. Now I think my skills are about 1.5 times better in some areas (offense), and about 1.25 worse in others (recovery/timing). Although each time I play I get better in both aspects.

_kSo_

Smash Master
There are advantages i guess to having a KB, but on a console was how it was made and how it was intended.

Nothing beats the original...

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
You know what my engineering professor used to call "using a tool for something other then its designed use"?

he said "kinky."

dr. beigel FTW.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
I think emulators + online play = more people to play = better than the original :D

But that could be argued.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
I have a dream that one day, down in Emularena, with its vicious laggers, with its noobs having his lips dripping with the words of "you grab too much" and "you play cheap" -- one day right there in Emularena dial-ups will be able to join connections with broadbands and not lag one bit.

I have a dream today.

Top Bottom