• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shorten Help Please!

Beastx

Smash Rookie
If anyone has any advice on how to learn/get better at illusion shortening I am all ears! Frame data and tips highly appreciated!

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
Fox starts moving away: 21
Hit: 22-25
Time to press B and stop Fox: 20-24

This is from the fox frame data thread. The easiest one is the shortest one. You press b again after you hear the ping. At least thats how I learned. The other ones are super hard. They are all 1 frame windows for each shorten after (mid is super hard). It just sheer muscle memory for me at this point. The shortest one has a 2 frame window.

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
I used to react to the ping but then that only helps get the shortest shorten. The others were still hard to do. When I learned all of them I just concentrated on where I wanted to stop and pressed b when I thought I got there during side b. After that is practice and repetition.

Neebs

Smash Rookie
The shorten is just after fox starts moving. You can try to learn the timings but its much easier to think about the shorten timing as movement based rather than sound or just timing based.
I can get the shortest shorten 100% of the time because of this and the medium about 80%.

Last edited:
Top Bottom