• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hopping

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
I know it's not a specifically "kirby" topic but since I play as kirby and it seems that short hopping is vital for his combos etc. I was wondering what's the best method of executing and practicing how to short hop.

Any links, help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
I know it's not a specifically "kirby" topic but since I play as kirby and it seems that short hopping is vital for his combos etc. I was wondering what's the best method of executing and practicing how to short hop.

Any links, help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Uh....just tap the jump button softly. It's a lot easier to do with Kirby than most others. Do with it with the button, not the analog stick.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
^ What he said. It's easy when you get the hang of it. This is great for SHFF N-Air -> Jab -> Vulcan Jab/Grab/etc because you can jab immediately after touching the ground.

Btw, I love that sig Cap'n XD

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
Short Hop Bair is a great defensive technique, with the others aerials you can be very offensive, SH it's easy to do, practice! ^^

And i love your sign too =]

Henryhta

Smash Rookie
I think that short hopping is easier in Brawl than in Melee.
Anyways just tap quickly and lightly. :p

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I might add this to my FAQ...

Contrary to what some say, how hard the jump button is pressed has no effect on the height of jump. Instead, the player is given several frames (varying per character) to let go of the jump button before the jump command is executed to perform a short-hop. The frames for Kirby has been increased from the transition of SSBM to SSBB. It is possible to short-hop with an analog stick, although it is considerably harder.

So how to practice?

This is a skill of reflex/finger muscle memory. Go to training mode, press the jump button, and let go as fast as you can. Repeat this for about 10 minutes (since fatigue does not help memory) each day/session until you get good. It takes a bit of time (I know firsthand, especially with SSBM Kirby), but is definitely worth it.

After that try running, jumping for a short-hop, and then execute an aerial. This is harder, since you are no longer just concentrating on short-hops. This is a valuable skill, and takes practice.

I actually did something creative to learn: in school during my spare time, I turned my TI-83 calculator upside down (to benefit my right thumb) and started the Super Mario game. I had small Mario perform short-hops against a basic block in that game. Short-hopping is much harder on a calculator. Since the ergonomics of holding a calculator and pressing a button quickly is not comfortable, I just had my thumb reach upwards...as a result, now I press Y for my short-hops...

Good luck. When frustrated, do not think of failure. Think of how you will eventually short-hop whenever you want.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
i like to hit the bottom edge of my X button so instead of having to let go i can just slide my thumb off which is an easier move for ur finger to do anyway since ur going to b heading for the A or B button anyway.

storm92

Smash Ace
In all actuality, the easiest way to practice short hops is this:
Melee.

In Melee it was much more difficult to SH, so only focus on getting that muscle memory down (forget about SHFFL and L-cancels, worthless in Brawl) and it will be incredibly easy in Brawl. Training mode in Melee with Fox/Falco 10 minutes a day and you'll have it down perfectly within a week at most.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
An even better way to train is Melee in training at 2x speed. Get that down and you can be a short hop master.

Brawl 1.5x speed is pretty good too. It's the most promising practice regime you can train with.

chingy

Smash Apprentice
An even better way to train is Melee in training at 2x speed. Get that down and you can be a short hop master.

Brawl 1.5x speed is pretty good too. It's the most promising practice regime you can train with.
i never knew that 0_o i know how to short hop but never knew that would help XD

Top Bottom