• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hopping your charge shots

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Maybe this is common knowledge, but some of this I only just kind of realized (especially against certain reflector characters)

Short hopping a charged shot can be very beneficial, especially against taller characters or characters with reflectors. If you have a fully charged blast, and do a short hop followed by immediately shooting it, then you will hit characters that are taller than you (generally speaking) while they are still on the ground. This creates a situation for them that they will get hit if they either stand still or do a short hop (although it does add the ducking option for some).

I did my testing with a standard height/weight mii. It's pretty obvious just by looking at the characters which ones are taller or shorter than you, so I didn't list characters that were obviously too short like kirby or obviously taller like ganon. Depending on a characters height, you might not even need a fully charged shot to hit them while they are standing. For example, ganon will be hit by a short hop non-charged (at all) shot.

Characters that will be hit from short hopped fully charged shot while standing:
All the "realistic humans" such as fire emblem characters, captain falcon, ryu, shiek, ZSS, palutena, pit, dark pit, zelda, link
Peach, yoshi, mewtwo, bowser jr, fox, falco

Characters that will NOT be hit from short hopped fully charged shot while standing:

Mii's, Mario, Dr. Mario, Ness, Luigi, Lucario, Wario, Little mac

Take note, the standard height mii gunner is too short to be hit by a short hopped charge shot! What this means is that you can fire short hopped fully charged shots at characters with reflectors and not have to worry about it hitting you if reflected(assuming there is enough distance for you to land back on ground). This is amazing against the pits, mewtwo, zelda, fox, falco, and palutena. It is also great vs. link because the shot goes over his shield! Also, it will hit bowser jr. for 25% since it hits his body and not the clown cart.

This is not great against a character like mario, dr. mario, ness, or another mii gunner, since if they are standing on the ground the shot will miss them. However, it is still a nice option if you are at kill percent and your opponent is not. You can use the charge shots to try to rack up damage without worrying about losing your stock to a reflector.

Top Bottom