• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short Hopped Aerial + Double Jump Help

Gontello

Smash Rookie
Although I've been playing with Ganon for a while, I just learned that he could do a double jump after a short hopped bair or a short hopped uair. Now, my question is whether it would be best to use the Control Stick, or the X or Y buttons to jump for the short hop.

For me, the Control Stick:
+ Frees up your right hand so you can perform the aerials much faster
- Hard to move Ganon with the short hop (mostly in the same spot)

Buttons:
+ Easier to short hop, and you can use the Control Stick to move in any direction
- Right hand has to move more quickly to the attack buttons (A, Z or C-Stick)

So some questions I have are:
1.) Is it possible to move Ganon while short hopping with the Control Stick? (and how would one go about practicing this)
2.) What is the method that you choose to do?

Any additional information would be much appreciated.
Thank You

Dragmire

Smash Lord
1. yes and try getting yourself used to staying in the direction of the attack you're about to use
2. a constant **** cycle with fairs so they can't escape

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
Is it possible to short hop fair into another fair?
no, but full jumping a fair and then double jumping into another fair is possible. I do it all the time.

back to the matter at hand. I would try using the c-stick for the aerials and using the control stick to jump. That way it lets you DI whichever way but still be able to do the move. The only way to practice it is to take enough time from your day, sit down, and do some work. after maybe an hour or so ( depends on how much you put into it and I don't know how long it would take someone) you will get the feel for it and then from there apply it in matches. Most of the time you will find yourself landing before you even try to jump again which isnt bad at all. It lets you adapt to the situation before commiting yourself to 1 move. have fun and i look forward to seeing some vids! :D

EDIT: Ganon can triple aerial but I'm just throwing that out there. also, try jumping with Y but have your thumb press both Y and A at the same time so that way you can DI and chose the aerial with the control stick. Thats how i do most of my aerials.

Gontello

Smash Rookie
I have been practicing with the control stick, and for the most part I feel I have it down. However, it is difficult me to DI my attacks when I short hop when I want to go into a double jump.

Right now, I'm trying to get down the short hop with the Y to aerial with the A (I've been playing with the C-Stick for A Attacks) so it's taking me time to get used to.

In the long run, would it be better if I learned how to attack from the Y button to the A?

EDIT: Granted I haven't used the Control Stick method in battle yet...Also when would I move the stick after the short hop (control stick) so I can DI my aerials?

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
i ALWAYS use X or Y to jump/short-hop. i have never had trouble going from X to the c-stick immediately.. it just takes some practice to get quick at it i guess.

Gontello

Smash Rookie
Okay...now this may seem weird, but this is how I think I'm going to play.

X + Back A, then Countrol Stick + C-Stick = Short Hop Bair, then Double Jump Aerial
Control Stick + C-Stick, then another Control Stick + C-Stick = Full Jump Aerial, then Double Jump Aerial

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
I cant do a full-hop with X/Y... if I try, I end up pressing it too hard or too long and thinking about it too much. using the control stick for full-hops and X/Y for short-hops feels so much more natural IMO, and after the innital full-hop with the control stick, i have no trouble DIing anywhere.

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
The ONLY time I EVER jump with the control stick...is with Fox to SHDL...

I really only use X to Jump...except for above...

also since you got on the topic of using A for aerials...you should use C-Stick for SHFFL'd Uairs so that you dont accidently waste your DJ.

alphameric

Smash Ace
i alternate between x+y for jumping, but i always use the control stick for aerials.
the only time i ever use the control stick to jump is when im doing double aerials (i find it easier for some reason)

kook321

Smash Apprentice
Yea i see no reason to use the control stick to double aerials, i always use x. But is it better to use the c-stick for double aerials or "a"

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
You guys are analyzing this too much. Just do what feels comfortable for you; personally, I never ever use the control stick to jump. I just use X + c-stick. It's really easy for me to move my thumb over and flick the c-stick after I jump, and it allows me to move myself in any direction I want, I.E. backwards for retreating Fairs.

Top Bottom