• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hop controller mod?

Siyico

Smash Cadet
Sup guys

Quick question and probably a divided topic, is there a GC controller mod that allows for easier short hops?

I've been playing a long time but since a long break, I can no longer get the hang of short hopping with fox because of damage to my right thumb, I can short hop alright when I'm stationary but the pain it can cause me to attempt to do it while moving is pretty bad.

Just wondering if theres anything out there that can make this easier for me, by maybe modding the X button for an easier SH? also if there is something, would it be tournament legal? considering new technology such as the boxx etc make SH'ing easier?

note: I have tried holding the controller differently, i,e claw but I end up with other pains on part of my right hand...

TLDR: My right hand sux, is there a mod for easier SH?

Synnett

Alligator Lord
As far as I know there are no mods to really make short hops "easier". In my personal controller I perforated the button pad on my X button so there's no click - I just have to do a quick tap to get a short jump input. Maybe that could be an option for you?

Search for point 2.10 in Kadano's thread.

- - -

Alternatively, there's a funky mechanic Sheik players use to make short hop nairs more consistent out of shield. Fox has a 3 frames jumpsquat, so to get a short hop, you have to press jump, and before the jump frame, you have to release the X/Y button. That's a 3 frames window.

However, there is a tap jump buffer in Melee, slapping the main stick up gives you an extra 3 frames if you are not in an actionable state (Like shield stun or landing lag). That brings the total window to 6 frames. You have to hold the input into the jumpsquat for the buffer to kick in, but that shouldn't be a problem lol. Not sure how useful that'd be for Fox, but I guess that's something to keep in mind.

I hope that helps while we hopefully get more accessibility to the game. A box controller could be a good option for you too.

Top Bottom