• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shines and Shieldbreaking

SuperCoffeeBros

The Better, Faster, Cheaper Custom Controller
If multi-shining was executed perfectly, is it really possible to break a shield? Is SDI enough to escape, or can you buffer a roll?

I have never heard of anyone breaking a shield with multi-shining, the only time I have ever seen a quad shine in real competitive play was Hax against Silentwolf, but he just shielded through it.

Can anyone link to a video with a shield breaking multi-shine in competitive play if it exists.

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
Tl;dr: Yes, it's possible to break a shield with multishining. You can escape with SDI and buffered rolls.

It's pretty hard to execute it perfectly. Westballz is extremely fast, but he's not frame-perfect. If you're playing Fox, Falco, or Wolf, it's pretty easy to shine out-of-shield. You just have to time it right.

With other characters, you just have to SDI each shine.

Click here to see Westballz break SFAT's shield with multishining. The method he's using is different than the normal multishine.

Normal multishine: Shine -> Jump cancel into shine again
Westballz multishine: Shine -> Jump and shine while actually being airborne and waveland down immediately

The thing about his method is that you can waveland diagonally, meaning he can shine and end up behind you or in front just enough to where you can't grab or perform an OoS shine. I'm not sure if Westballz was too fast or if SFAT didn't know how to escape it.

Last edited:

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Shines do relatively **** damage to shields and shield DI will get you out of it. I urge everyone in the world to learn a little something about that tech.

SuperCoffeeBros

The Better, Faster, Cheaper Custom Controller
Tl;dr: Yes, it's possible to break a shield with multishining. You can escape with SDI and buffered rolls...
Thank you for your very detailed response. That is what I thought, it doesn't seem like multi-shining to break shield is very useful, but rather just for flash. Is that always how Westballz multi-shines? That video is the first time I have ever seen anyone break a shied by shining. I guess sfat didn't want the dumpster so held his shield, it was probably one of the better places to multi-shine as he was on a platform and couldn't really go anywhere. Though would you fall off of a platform if you Shield DI'ed to the edge?

Westballz choose a pretty poor punish as well for his shield break. All he got was a dair and a laser. :042:

Last edited:

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for your very detailed response. That is what I thought, it doesn't seem like multi-shining to break shield is very useful, but rather just for flash. Is that always how Westballz multi-shines? That video is the first time I have ever seen anyone break a shied by shining. I guess sfat didn't want the dumpster so held his shield, it was probably one of the better places to multi-shine as he was on a platform and couldn't really go anywhere. Though would you fall off of a platform if you Shield DI'ed to the edge?

Westballz choose a pretty poor punish as well for his shield break. All he got was a dair and a laser. :042:
That's how Westballz usually performs his multi-shines.

It is possible to fall off the edge if a player SDI's towards it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom