• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shine-Scraping (Technique)

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
I was messing around in 20XX training mode when I came across a decent option for tech coverage at the ledge.

Fox's Shine knocks space animals to the floor, giving the opponent the option to tech... So this is primarily useful for the ditto or versus Falco.

I call it "-scraping" because the technique utilizes the backward hitbox of u-smash that typically isn't used as a primary kill move, "scraping" the opponent from the ground and sending them at an awkward angle that, when unexpected, is difficult to DI. This is used primarily as a mix-up.

Note that the reversed hit-box of u-smash is a better tool for accomplishing this than d-smash because d-smash sends the opponent along the surface of the stage, allowing them to tech much easier than from being hit by the u-smash, which will force them to perform a difficult DI straight into the stage if they don't want to be thrown from the edge.

Note that the final hit of u-smash sits above the ground, the hitboxes of d-smash do not.

If the opponent techs toward Fox, they will be sent backward by the first hit of the move. Without a frame-perfect tech in place that can lead into an immediate shine, the opponent will be launched backward from the final hit of u-smash. This hit-box also covers tech in place and occasionally tech away, if the opponent is blocked by the edge of the stage or platform.

Fox can waveshine, run into shine, drillshine, etc. into the "scrape." These are common setups into any shine mix-up, but one that I particularly like is shield-pressure. Shining the opponent until their shield is weak enough to be penetrated by the final hit of the u-smash, or restraining a shine to predict a roll into Fox with a delayed u-smash, can also "scrape" the opponent off the stage.

Another benefit of using this mix-up is the nature of its easiest escape option. Forcing Fox or Falco to tech away for the easiest escape will allow you more time to finish the cool-down lag from u-smash after missing. Shine-scraping isn't a great technique to throw out several times per match, but I do believe it has potential as a deadly mix-up that leads into highly favorable edgeguards, especially if you're adept at reading DI.

Go ahead and pick this idea apart before I make a fool of myself in tournament with it.

...thoughts?

ThatLittleFatGirl

Smash Rookie
Waveshine>Pivot>Up-Smash "Scrap". Works well on :falconmelee:(Especially Falcon with his terrible recovery):linkmelee::dkmelee::bowsermelee: & :ganondorfmelee:
Anyone else would be better just going for a normal Upsmash.

About what you were mentioning i agree this could work. I say go for it, if it works then you won't make a fool of yourself. It's worth a shot.

Top Bottom