• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shielding

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

Something I always notice is that shielding is a lot harder. It's like it takes a lot longer than in Smash 4...almost as if I'm playing with lag. Like, just running up and shield. Can't do **** against projectiles, and I just get hit with absolutely everything (especially annoying againts ROB...).

I know I don't have the best reaction time, but I could swear it's a lot slower than in Smash 4. It doesn't come out instantly...

Last edited by a moderator:

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
what kinda display are you using? emulation or hardware? if the latter, how is it hooked up? are you playing local or on netplay?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
You have to time it at the end of dash. Pressing both shield buttons help if you can't get the timing. Also just tap don't try to do it as you're running.

D

Deleted member 189823

what kinda display are you using? emulation or hardware? if the latter, how is it hooked up? are you playing local or on netplay?
To me, this is pretty trivial, but I guess it's worth a shot. We've alwasy played offline and on LCD screens. Hookups can vary between normal RC to component cables.

Since I just picked it up again, it may be something new I picked up on.

You have to time it at the end of dash. Pressing both shield buttons help if you can't get the timing. Also just tap don't try to do it as you're running.
So it doesn't just automatically halt your dash, but you have to do the opposite? I thought running up to campy characters was a thing.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
To me, this is pretty trivial, but I guess it's worth a shot. We've alwasy played offline and on LCD screens. Hookups can vary between normal RC to component cables.

Since I just picked it up again, it may be something new I picked up on.

So it doesn't just automatically halt your dash, but you have to do the opposite? I thought running up to campy characters was a thing.
Yes it is, but you have to mix it up in your running. Of course some running animations are better between characters.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yes it is, but you have to mix it up in your running. Of course some running animations are better between characters.
So I guess it's worth mentioning that I main Yoshi and Bowser... if you say it's like that, then it make sense their Dash to Shield isn't the best (though, for Yoshi, it's mostly his shield drop).

Luigisama

Smash Champion
So I guess it's worth mentioning that I main Yoshi and Bowser... if you say it's like that, then it make sense their Dash to Shield isn't the best (though, for Yoshi, it's mostly his shield drop).
Yeah for yoshi it's terrible. Also against camping characters you should be egg laying more and camping yourself as yoshi if possible. Bowser it's just tough since his dash is bad. You have to move by either rolling or the claw jump

TheLobsterCopter5000

Smash Apprentice
In terms of shield behaviour between games, shields were actually stronger in Brawl, as well as shieldstun being lower. However shields don't regenerate as quickly and deplete faster when held.

D

Deleted member 189823

In terms of shield behaviour between games, shields were actually stronger in Brawl, as well as shieldstun being lower. However shields don't regenerate as quickly and deplete faster when held.
Yeah, I know that part. Should've clarified, specifically meant I was referring to Dash to Shield. Apparently, it's more character-dependent than I thought. :/ I also don't know if it's just me, but PS'ing ZSS' armour pieces was very strange. They're like bullet-timer.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Yeah, I know that part. Should've clarified, specifically meant I was referring to Dash to Shield. Apparently, it's more character-dependent than I thought. :/ I also don't know if it's just me, but PS'ing ZSS' armour pieces was very strange. They're like bullet-timer.
It's best to airdodge them and hit yellow cstick. You're bound to catch one to throw away.

D

Deleted member 189823

It's best to airdodge them and hit yellow cstick. You're bound to catch one to throw away.
Forgot to mention R.O.B's Gyro. It's incredibly annoying... even if you shield it, it's still active and you have to hit it before even being able to pick it up. Do I have an erroneous concept, or is there another way to deal with it?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
If you powershield it then it vanishes. It just comes down to avoiding the gyro or catching it when it's thrown.

Top Bottom