• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield pressuring with mario

j3ly

Smash Champion
What we have come up with so far:
-------------------------------------------------

by n0ne​
setup - opponent in shield, mario is in the air next to them

cape - turns them around
uair/bair/nair - as late as possible. try to fit in a fastfall
shield pressure of some kind, start with a jab

The idea behind this is to turn them around in their shields, so they cant grab. They are more likely to roll, which we can react to on reaction - chase with a wavedash (start your running animation slightly first for longer distance, and slide the control stick from very almost horizontal to horizontal mid wavedash) + jab/something or an fsmash if they roll through us.

A nice idea would be to SH dair after the jab. FF it and try to land the ground hit, but the dair should definatly spike through the shield anyway.

Ill explain a few mechanics of shield pressuring first.

If your opponent is in shield, he has hardly any options. grabbing/jumping/rolling is pretty much it in most cases.

you should read when your opponent will go into shield. it will come eventually. you cant deliberately time an aerial late to shield pressure them if you dont know when they are going to go into shield.

when you are hurtling towards your opponent and they are still, you are either going to get a smash attack to your face, or they will recede into shield. thats mostly when they go into shield, and its when you can pull off a late aerial -> watever you like.

remeber - the object of shield pressuring is to either get a grab, or space a move so you poke through their shield. or if you have them cornered, you could charge an attack the opposite direction if they roll alot.

This late aerial shield pressuring is what i find to be the most effective with other chars, but i stopped playing mario since i learned how to properly shield pressure. i now feel like returning to mario and making him a shield pressuring beast.

So what do you guys do to pressure shields with mario?
What do you think the best option is out of shield pressure, grab? utilt is probably the awnser in most cases if your spacing is amazing. maybe you like to achieve a uair out of shield pressuring.

As i said on another post, i like to uair -> jab, turnaround bair, waveland the other side and then do something. but seeing as they can grab (sometimes) after the bair, and roll away during the waveland, it is far from perfect. the uair -> jab, is however, 100% safe if spaced properly. and they eat jab (-> dsmash) if they try to grab.

wowww i want to play smash, mario has a tonnnn of options when his opponent is in shield. he can space uair and dair's floor hitbox and bair, fair is safe when late and followed by a jab. he can jump out of 2 SH moves, to do another move and waveland out of 1. he also has a long wavedash to follow the roll with a jab/dsmash.

n0ne

Smash Ace
you can also cape them when they are in shield. this will make them turn the other way and they will not be able to grab u if u get too close. i like to tomahawk a lot too.

j3ly

Smash Champion
alot of the time caping peoples shields is a baaaad idea. against marth fox shiek and falco we get baired oos. anybody with a quick/sexkick/long range bair can hit us :( we cant space those attacks, whereas we can space ourselves away from a grab oos. im actually not sure about shiek, but i get hit after caping a shield

do you have any vids where you do this? if its unexpected it would be a good idea but generally the lag on the cape is horrible and i would punish the crap outta it on reaction

n0ne

Smash Ace
I usually play only against ganons and falcons . but i cape mid air then come down with a uair or bair. Usually works. I got some new vids recorded this weekend but i dont think i Do this tho.
im reeeaaal lazy to upload tho with only 256kps internet speed. speed is expensive here in nicaragua.

off topic. does anyone know why i get video response lag with my tv capture card. i mean... sound is right on but everything i do with the controller happens like 2 miliseconds later. Its kind of uncomfortable. Maybe its cuz of my lcd monitor? or ill have to by component cables.

j3ly

Smash Champion
ohhhhh n0ne thats cold. and the cape seems to lagg less in the air. youve made me think of something colddd

setup - opponent in shield, mario is in the air next to them

cape - turns them around
uair/bair/nair - as late as possible. try to fit in a fastfall
jab/ftilt shield pressure

the reason for this, people want to grab out of being shield pressured. If we turn them around, their options are limited to jump/roll/WD ooS. Most likely they will roll, some may WD but its rare (shouldent be tho cos its ****). Jabs are fast, and we can spam them on shields along a ftilt. If we have them cornered then caping in the air would be a really good idea (provided its not a falco with quick reactions), because it would increase the chances of them rolling behind us - into a charged forward smash.

After the uair + jab what about SH dair? Dair consistently pokes through weak shields, like almost every time. Wierd to FF and L-cancel against a shield though, youve given me alot to think about n0ne tyvm.

n0ne

Smash Ace
Also u can 2x cape if u want for wulz and mindgames because if they roll the animation will be all backwards like and ur oponent will be confused so u can abuse the situation.

Low f-tilt shield pokes, and at the same time is great for edguarding sweetspotting oponents coming back because it confuses... instead of giving them knockback it just gives damage and NO KNOCKBACK. ive always thought tha move is broken. so if they are trying to tech they wil just airdodge to their doom. pretty situational but u can folow up with another move too like a dair.

And always remember that another option out of shield is JUMP or up b... not likely tho. dont forget that. or...... just stay in shield and observe. I myself do that sometimes.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's best bet for shield pressure is spaced Jabs (except against Marth) imo. I really like Jabs -> F-smash with Mario, which is really safe and has fairly high reward.

F-tilts at max range are also pretty good on shield, and if you angle upwards, they also serve as an anti-air, although I mainly use that in the Falcon/Jiggs matchup. When pressuring Falcon, U-tilts usually get him if he likes to jump out of shield, something I know that I don't do enough of.

D-air is alright when you L cancel it, but you have to usually crossover for it to be safe. I wouldn't try to shield pressure Bowser with D-air anyhow.

tbh I don't really like shield pressuring with Mario. Usually I feel like I'm either spacing or I'm grabbing.

j3ly

Smash Champion
tyvm for your input a2.

anybody else? i retract my statement made in the first post about ftilt, never do this against a shield. ive tried it many times, all 3 angles, and it never ends in a shield spike/eventual grab unless their shield is at the point you shoud fsmash it. ill definatly try spaced jabs though, ive done it before but no more than 1/2. spacing is getting alot better recently so this wont be a problem.

tyvm.

Moof

Smash Rookie
one funny thing that is semi good is Lcancel a fair then down b and move behind them the after lag is bad but the hit that sends them into the air generally will shield stab... test it out and see what you think

Top Bottom