• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield pressure.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
Ive been watching some other yoshi's pressure shield (Vman and aMSa) and they seem to do it in different ways (Vman spacing djc nairs and dairing through platforms and aMSa using fair like falcon uses stomp.

How should I be pressuring shield? Should I at all?

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
djc nairs and upairs, spaced fairs, jabs, ftilts, dtilt, fsmash, full hop dairs all have their place in the shield pressure game
try to see what works for you, it's hard to copy someone's pressure style because you form it by the out of shield decisions of the opponents you train with (or mentally go into scenarios with)

spaced fairs, ftilt and fsmash are generally pretty safe on shield though, while you need to mix in jabs, crossups and parry to mix your opponent up for the other options

grab shield abusers though, people forget this option exists as yoshi lol

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
djc nairs and upairs, spaced fairs, jabs, ftilts, dtilt, fsmash, full hop dairs all have their place in the shield pressure game
try to see what works for you, it's hard to copy someone's pressure style because you form it by the out of shield decisions of the opponents you train with (or mentally go into scenarios with)

spaced fairs, ftilt and fsmash are generally pretty safe on shield though, while you need to mix in jabs, crossups and parry to mix your opponent up for the other options

grab shield abusers though, people forget this option exists as yoshi lol
Yea my friends do that quite a bit. So if they play that way just don't try to shield pressure at all?

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I went to a local weekly a couple of days ago, and I can tell that spaced fair -> Jab -> Jab -> Dtilt its usually enough to bring down their shield a decent bit, and also shield poke on weaker shields sometimes. I found that the Jabs, with correct spacing could act like a frame trap: coaxing them out of their shield to get hit by a dtilt.

Thank you Mind Trick though you helped a bunch

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I went to a local weekly a couple of days ago, and I can tell that spaced fair -> Jab -> Jab -> Dtilt its usually enough to bring down their shield a decent bit, and also shield poke on weaker shields sometimes. I found that the Jabs, with correct spacing could act like a frame trap: coaxing them out of their shield to get hit by a dtilt.

Thank you Mind Trick though you helped a bunch
i've been doing some research (Expirementing in friendlies) delayed single jabs seems to work wonders for shield pressure

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Up tilt on shield isn't safe but it does poke more than you think, especially if the fair>dtilt pressure is your usual choice and they shield DI down.
Yoshi is definitely one of the better characters on shield, but he isn't Fox or Falco so he can't have perfect pressure. Have fun with it and be fluid.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Up tilt on shield isn't safe but it does poke more than you think, especially if the fair>dtilt pressure is your usual choice and they shield DI down.
Yoshi is definitely one of the better characters on shield, but he isn't Fox or Falco so he can't have perfect pressure. Have fun with it and be fluid.
Hey Ham i didn't realize it but i literally just saw your match on vgbootcamp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSkcMvhOVgA

You did a good job. One thing i would advise and i'm learning this habit to. Don't roll as much in your fights. It becomes way to predictable.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. I was super nervous/excited on stage so that's why I was rolling. I never do that as much as I was here.
Its fine I know that feeling. But good job finishing in top 8. I hope you and Dallas goes to a LA tournament sometime

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Looking really clean vs PB&J. Everyone has a little nerves, and that level of play was great, independent of if you think you were nervous. Looking forward to seeing you play in the future. (I'm a little late to the party on this thread...)

Top Bottom