• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield-Grabbing and Dodging Aerials

K-Cow

Smash Cadet
How exactly should I go about Shield-Grabbing and how useful is it really? My friend, who trained me to play smash, said that if I could learn to Shield-Grab effectively, I could be a LOT better. Does anyone know of an effective training method to develop this technique and incorporate into my playing?

Also, does anyone know any good ways to train for dodging aerials on the ground?

Thanks

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
To be honest...shield grabbing isn't really something that needs to be developped, persay. There are no complex button patterns to learn (which is what makes the technique so great, really. You can really improve your game quite a bit just spending a few games learning the feeling of doing it). Just get into the habit of pressing A while in your shield after someone hits it. Spend a few matches focused on shield grabbing. Eventually it's just an instinct to know when you can shield grab.

More then any other technique, shield-grabbing seperates newbies from intermediate players. You need to know how to do it, it's THAT useful.

By the way, the title of this thread mentioned dodging aerials, but nothing about it in the post? :S

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Shield grabbing is done by pressing A when an opponent hits the shield you are putting up. So basically, just play against a friend or someone, and if someone attacks your shield, and is also in front of you, press A. It should grab the opponent, and from there, let your brain tell you what the smartest movement is. A computer would be good too, but it is harder. Don't go higher than 5, I guess. Don't get used to computers son! This is one of the easiest things, that can be what seperates a srub from a more better player. You'll get this pretty fast if you incorporate it into your play.

Idk, you can shield(to shield grab maybe), roll back, wavedash back, triangle jump, walk back, run back(then burst forward into whatever if you want), sidestep dodge, crouch(if that works), and maybe a few more. Just mix it up.

Thunderbolt

Smash Journeyman
Friends tell them you want to practice shield grabbing and tell them what to do. Thats how I trained how to PowerShield on command. I told my friend to fire Short Hopped Lasers at me and I will practice Power Shielding.

If they were friends they'd help you out.

Top Bottom